Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo 140b

Coldcreek · 2023-11-21 12:08

Afternoon all, I’ve got a Volvo 140B here that I have an issue with, there was a clattering between the pump and the engine, and the machine seems to have lots of hydraulic power. But on the stick out the blade up and the swing to the right I get a chatter, The clattering noise turned out to be the coupler between the pump and engine that was worn. I just put that all back together started the machine up and still have the “chatter” on the cycles mentioned, any thoughts? As usual thank you in advance for any advice.

Replies36
  1. #1uffex2023-11-21 13:13

    Good day Can you pinpoint the source by listening when an assistant operates the machine? Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Coldcreek2023-11-21 13:16

    Well, the clatter is back as well Uffex. Once I cycled it a few times

  3. #3Coldcreek2023-11-21 13:16

    The coupling was definitely worn so it was no harm in replacing it.

  4. #4Coldcreek2023-11-21 13:18

    I can’t pinpoint the noise, I’m not sure if it’s the pump or between the pump and the engine.

  5. #5Coldcreek2023-11-21 13:22

    The whole thing is rather odd one day it was working fine, next day it wax making some noise so I took the pump out, the coupling seemed quite worn so I replaced it. But I still have the “clatter” which gets louderunder load and the chatter on certain cycles. I put new filter in though there was nothing wrong with the old one.

  6. #6Coldcreek2023-11-21 13:44

    I’m going to pick up some gauges to check pressures

  7. #7uffex2023-11-21 13:50

    Good day The coupling you have installed is that from a Volvo dealer? Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8Coldcreek2023-11-21 13:56

    Yes sir, straight from the dealer

  9. #9uffex2023-11-21 14:02

    Good day Coldcreek It is a little difficult to remotely identify the source of the clatter, if you are sure it is coming from the pump drive, I would suggest splitting apart and close inspection. The machine is a standard unit, no strange extra equipment? Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10Coldcreek2023-11-21 14:22

    I understand Uffex, it’s very difficult to remotely diagnose. I do greatly value your insight. I picked up some gauges, to test my pressures. I can’t pinpoint it exactly, but it is either the pump or the drive, but the coupling is new so I can’t see that, there was no play in The shaft for the pump. There isn’t anything between the the flywheel and the pump drive, there was no loose bolts on the flywheel. I’m going to snag a mechanic stethoscope and have another go at isolating the noise. It may be in The front section of the pump, possibly. Do you know what pressures I should get on the test ports Uffex?

  11. #11Coldcreek2023-11-21 14:23

    It’s a standard machine just a thumb on it.

  12. #12uffex2023-11-21 14:40

    Good day Here is the machine specification and conversion if you are in P.S.I.

  13. #13Coldcreek2023-11-21 14:47

    Thank you so much

  14. #14funwithfuel2023-11-21 15:18

    Quick and simple test. Raise one track off the ground. Paint a pad, clock how long to make 3 complete revolutions in high range. Do the same to the other side. See if you have a big discrepancy.

  15. #15Coldcreek2023-11-21 15:33

    When I tracked the other day I did notice one side lagging

  16. #16Coldcreek2023-11-21 15:34

    That’s a good tip thank you

  17. #17funwithfuel2023-11-21 15:36

    Based on your opening statement, and now knowing you might have a lazy track, I think you better spin down your case drain filter and inspect the contents.

  18. #18funwithfuel2023-11-21 15:38

    BTW, left track is the lazy one, correct?

  19. #19Coldcreek2023-11-21 15:47

    Yes you are right the left track is the lazy one.

  20. #20Coldcreek2023-11-21 15:48

    is that the pump closest to the engine?

  21. #21Coldcreek2023-11-21 15:57

    there is a lot of steel in that.

  22. #22Coldcreek2023-11-21 16:09

    Well, that sucks, and awful lot of steel in there

  23. #23Coldcreek2023-11-21 16:13

    Thanks fun with fuel.

  24. #24funwithfuel2023-11-21 19:09

    Sorry , I was hoping I was not right. Iron or brass or both?

  25. #25funwithfuel2023-11-21 19:12

    Considering oil has common feed, and pump is built as an assembly, you don't want to split it apart . Now comes the costly and time consuming process of clean-up. What does the tank return filter look like? Sorry for the delayed response, life came up.

  26. #26Coldcreek2023-11-21 21:05

    Oh no worries, everybody is busy. I get it. I just came in from putting a new air tank on the low bed.

  27. #27Coldcreek2023-11-21 21:06

    I’m going to pull the return filter tomorrow when I pump the tank out.

  28. #28funwithfuel2023-11-21 21:25

    Swing 90° to the track frame. You're going to want be able to get under the tank. The bottom sump plate affords you enough room to get in and clean up if any material made it past the return filter . You'll also want to remove each hose to every function on the left sticks. Swing, crowd and left travel. It's gonna suck, a lot. You gotta get all the debris that traveled downstream or it's gonna cause problems later. Good luck.

  29. #29Coldcreek2023-11-22 06:11

    Thank you for that information, that is going to suck. But, needs must.

  30. #30funwithfuel2023-11-22 06:13

    If you have questions or concerns along the way, I'll help the best that I can.

  31. #31Coldcreek2023-11-22 07:11

    So, you are saying the hoses from the pump to the valve, from the valve to the cylinders as well?

  32. #32funwithfuel2023-11-22 07:13

    Yes, every step of the way. Pour them out in a bucket so that you can see how far the material has migrated.

  33. #33Coldcreek2023-11-22 07:14

    Will do, thank you again for the advice

  34. #34Coldcreek2023-12-09 11:38

    Got the pump rebuilt flushed everything cleaned out the tank, seems to be working well now, just going to run it for a day and change out the new filters.

  35. #35funwithfuel2023-12-09 13:07

    Good idea with follow-up service. The travel and swing circuit will surely "cough up " additional material, particularly trash that might have been trapped in the turning joint. Good job getting her squared away quickly.

  36. #36Coldcreek2023-12-09 17:18

    Thanks again to everyone for the help, I appreciate it a lot.