Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo 160 smoking

Havoc · 2021-06-23 22:50

Well this excavator has been at the Volvo dealer for smoking. They changed the turbo, 1 injector and the cylinder head and inspected the cylinders they all look good supposedly it got good compression and no blow by and it still got oil coming from the exhaust port. So the dealer said rings now.So we Brought it back to our shop to figure it out or something. They want us to check it out, I’ve seen pictures and video but I not sure how much it ran since they changed the head and how hard I’ll know more tomorrow if I have the adapter for this motor for compression and cylinder leak down but kinda thinking about working it a hour to see what happens to smoke any suggestions? Or thought would be awesome

Replies38
  1. #1Vetech632021-06-23 23:10

    A video of the engine smoking and any oil presence would be nice. Was this machine at Van Keppel?

  2. #2funwithfuel2021-06-24 06:09

    What series? Have you run it without the muffler? How did the turbo fail? Was the charged air cooler drained, cleaned or replaced? How is the air filter? Are there any damaged or blown boost hoses?

  3. #3funwithfuel2021-06-24 06:10

    Way to call a brother out. Ya savage.

  4. #4Havoc2021-06-24 07:32

    The story I got that it started smoking and it went to yes van Keppel of course they said turbo didn’t fix the smoke issue so then a injector was tried and no luck so they pull the head and said it need valve guild seal and put a reman head on it and it still spitting oil out the exhaust with no manifold on I will get pic and video sent to me today to up load I kinda want to go work it for a hour and see if it get better worse or what I not sure if intercooler has been or was drained or cleaned I know hoses clean air filter is new now no oil in housing

  5. #5funwithfuel2021-06-24 07:39

    What series, B,C,D ....?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2021-06-24 08:26

    What Dealer changes 1 injector.!!! THATS some pizz poor diagnosis right there.. If they cracked a line to THAT CYLINDER and it stopped the smoke, great.. but u put in 1 injector and restart the engine and it smokes, u take it out and say, that didn’t fix it and proceed with a leakdown test..or/and a compression test, PAYING ATTENTION TO THAT CYL.!!

  7. #7Havoc2021-06-24 09:37

    Here’s 4 pic I got more and will get some more l and get the Serial number and the model number and I’ll have a video of it running they’re supposed to be sending me a few more videos and pictures

  8. #8funwithfuel2021-06-24 10:12

    Looks like a B series with individual unit pumps. Verify that all injector nozzles are installed correctly. There is a dot drilled into the side near where the fuel line attaches. It should point away from you, if memory serves correctly. If one or more are in backwards, you'll get slobber and **** poor atomization . The injector is directional, it sits on an angle to the piston. The piston crown holds your swirl chamber, if the spray pattern is off, everything is out the window. thepumpguysc, please confirm dot orientation.

  9. #9Havoc2021-06-24 19:56

    Yes it a ec160b

  10. #10Ben Witter2021-06-24 20:42

    Pretty sure FWF is correct. The injectors have to be oriented correctly or the spray pattern will spray out of the bowl in the piston. This usually causes black smoke and can cause some fule in the exhaust which when mixed with soot can be mistaken for oil. The dots on the injector should face the valve cover if memory serve me right.

  11. #11Havoc2021-06-24 21:17

    I’ve got a video trying to get uploaded from my phone

  12. #12Vetech632021-06-24 22:02

    Looks like unburned fuel and not oil. I’ll tell you right now…..Van Keppel doesn’t have a soul in the place that has any experience. They change parts until they get lucky. You probably had a fuel problem the entire time.

  13. #13Vetech632021-06-24 22:10

    Was there a compression test done on this engine? If Van Keppel said yes I wouldn’t trust that if I were you.

  14. #14Havoc2021-06-24 22:12

    They said yes one of my bosses has pictures of all the cylinders and they look good

  15. #15Vetech632021-06-24 22:14

    Don’t do that! If it is unburned fuel your going to wash out that cylinder and you will be rebuilding the engine.

  16. #16Havoc2021-06-24 22:15

    Right I was out in the field all day and never got to spend anytime with this thing today

  17. #17funwithfuel2021-06-24 22:17

    Sure there was, its in techtool. Its cranking compression. It times the crankshaft. The slowest is your 100% benchmark that all others are measured against. So if you got 100 psi in one hole and 98 in all the rest, you'll have 100, 98, 98, 98, 98 and 98. But in reality only enough compression for a weak ass clapped out lawnmower.

  18. #18Vetech632021-06-24 22:18

    Do what some of these experts in this thread are telling you. They know their volvos and won’t lead you in a bad direction. I don’t know ****…..I just work here. LOL

  19. #19Havoc2021-06-25 09:26

    Facts this is my first Volvo and I’m coming in after IMO a parts changer that sunk 30k and still not fixed

  20. #20funwithfuel2021-06-25 10:21

    With a little time and effort, we'll help you through this. Take a deep breath. First thing i would do is inspect the injectors. It's a simple task. Any questions, fire away.

  21. #21Vetech632021-06-27 09:20

    So are we fixing this thing?

  22. #22sfrs42021-06-29 08:17

    from the engine manual for the D6D 87. Install the injectors with the marking/machined surface toward the valve springs.

  23. #23Havoc2021-07-01 12:51

    Well I got a little time in between calls to mess with this think it smokes sum at ideal but come off ideal and it white and black smoke and a lot of and it don’t stop pouring smoke so I’m going to try to kill one injector at a time to see which one maybe hung is my guess any idea or thought would be good

  24. #24Havoc2021-07-01 12:52

    I’m have the valve cover pulled shortly

  25. #25Havoc2021-07-01 13:03

    All flat spot are towards the valve springs

  26. #26Havoc2021-07-01 13:19

    All injector look new and one injector driver

  27. #27funwithfuel2021-07-01 13:19

    Can you attach a pic of your injector as it's installed?

  28. #28Havoc2021-07-01 13:23

    Yes sir

  29. #29funwithfuel2021-07-01 13:34

    I would suggest removing all 6 and having them pop tested. You want to know that the nozzle is atomizing the fuel correctly and at the correct pressure.

  30. #30Havoc2021-07-01 13:41

    That the smoke just off ideal and I don’t have any smoke from under the valve cover

  31. #31Havoc2021-07-01 13:42

    Is there a way to shut the fuel off to each injector with out scanner?

  32. #32funwithfuel2021-07-01 15:03

    Yeah, crack a line nut loose, that effectively kills that cylinder. Place a rag over when you do.

  33. #33funwithfuel2021-07-02 14:54

    What did you decide?

  34. #34Havoc2021-07-02 14:59

    I’ll be back on it Tuesday and I will update then

  35. #35Csocha2022-12-31 20:08

    Did you get anywhere on this thing? I have the exact machine with the same issue looking for input thanks!

  36. #36funwithfuel2022-12-31 20:52

    Please start a new thread, include your full model and serial so we can help you. With multiple levels of emissions regulation and several changes within a generation, it's hard to say yeah, look for this or that.

  37. #37Gary Layton2023-01-01 10:31

    And play nice...let us know in your thread what finally happens. I hate to read a thread like this and the OP is getting great input and advice that some of us are learning from...and then they just disappear. If folks here share their time and knowledge so thoroughly and then the OP does not follow through with what eventually fixed (or did not fix) the unit...it shows great disrespect by the OP. If he had some terrible life event, I understand. But I am sure some guys just get what they want and then move on, kind of like visiting a brothel. Don't be a whoremonger.

  38. #38Diesel Dave2023-01-01 10:58

    A New Years Resolution !!