Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo 160B LC trackhoe leaking in turntable

bchand220 · 2019-08-25 13:56

Looking for suggestions for the oil that is leaking down in the turntable. It’s all around the hyd swivel (see pic) but doesn’t look like hyd oil. Thicker so thinking it’s gear oil from the swing l gear box since I’m having to add gear oil. Any ideas what may have failed? Also looks like mixed with water. New slewing ring was installed approx 100 hrs ago.

Replies22
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-08-25 15:04

    There is a 2 bolt plate near the front of the upper structure. It looks like a power steering block off plate. Remove those 2 screws and plate. If that cavity is full of milkshake, I have to ask , how much hydro and gear oil have you been adding? That's a tremendous cavity to have "fill up" You're probably looking at a failed pinion seal on the swing gear box. Possibly shaft seal on the swing motor as well for that kinda volume. What does your hydro oil level look like?

  2. #2uffex2019-08-25 15:09

    Good day Nice garden difficult to see so much Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3bchand2202019-08-25 15:11

    Hyd oil looks good. I’ve got a boom cyd leaking so I’ve had to add hyd oil at times, but it’s more of a drip so can run for 20 hrs and still be oil in Site glass. As for the swing gear oil, I’ve added about a gallon or little more in the last 20 hrs, and capacity is .7 gal, so assumed that’s where the leak is. Somewhere in the swing gear.

  4. #4bchand2202019-08-25 15:13

    Did you see the milkshake looking stuff around the center passage in the pic?

  5. #5uffex2019-08-25 15:22

    Yes I did that looks to me like emulsified oil (Water mix) if thats any clue Kind regards uffex

  6. #6bchand2202019-08-25 15:25

    Here’s a pic I took of some of it on a stick. It’s thick so would that typically mean it’s the gear oil and not the 46 hyd oil?

  7. #7uffex2019-08-25 15:26

    I should add leaks of that nature normally appear from the highest point that the leak shows I suggest clean out the superstructure with a power wash and then give the machine a work out watch where the oil appears first KR Uffex

  8. #8uffex2019-08-25 15:27

    For sure thats from the swing transmission check the studs fastening the box to the superstructure often the greaser is missed.

  9. #9bchand2202019-08-25 16:28

    I sure will. It may be a day or two before can check it. What are you meaning when you say “greaser”?

  10. #10bchand2202019-08-25 19:17

    uffex what did you mean when said greaser? It doesn’t have an autolube so not sure what you are referring to?

  11. #11bchand2202019-08-25 20:12

    uffex what did you mean when said greaser? It doesn’t have an autolube so not sure whatyou are referring to?

  12. #12bchand2202019-08-25 20:33

    Greaser #36 on this drawing

  13. #13uffex2019-08-26 02:16

    Good day bc Greaser 36 provides lube for the large bearing 5 its difficult to imagine how the lube from the transmission is finding its way onto the superstructure, interesting to see what you find after a clean up. Kind regards Uffex

  14. #14Vetech632019-08-26 07:19

    If you know your oils, you can tell by the smell usually.

  15. #15bchand2202019-09-20 07:49

    Update. Motor and gear box are out and at the shop getting fixed. I noticed this wire in this pic when I pulled swing gearbox out. Anyone know what it’s for?

  16. #16Vetech632019-09-20 08:02

    No way of knowing. See if there is a wire marker or number on it. then you can trace it on the wire schematic. Make sure you clean that area up real good before you install the unit back in the machine.

  17. #17funwithfuel2019-09-20 09:28

    Is that attached to your main harness?

  18. #18bchand2202019-09-20 14:12

    I’m not sure. It looks like it just goes to that block there. Doesn’t plug into swing gear or swing motor.

  19. #19funwithfuel2019-09-20 15:20

    Beneath your MCV there may be (iirc) a sensor. It should be part of your auto idle function. Does your auto idle work?

  20. #20bchand2202019-09-20 15:50

    Yea it works good. I didn’t notice wire until pulled swing box and haven’t cranked up yet cause it’s still not back from repair shop but it worked before pulled gearbox

  21. #21bchand2202019-09-20 18:55

    Here’s a pic of the seal that they said is bad in the swing drive assembly. Said it was loose and came out very easily with just fingers.

  22. #22bchand2202019-09-23 07:11

    Can anyone tell me what grease and how much to use when I go back with gearbox? It’s got a lot still in there that is good but some of the water mixed crap is still in there and I’m sure if I can get all of it out. I did open the small bottom plate up inside the turntable from below and water and mix flew out but left the thicker stuff still in there.