Hi ,we have a volvo380E excavator that has done 7000 hrs which has now developed a starting issue when cold, we have been told it’s the injector seat that is leaking and allowing the fuel to run back to tank when parked up, been told proper repair job is new injectors c/w seats, but could just renew seals at a fraction of the cost, has anyone else experienced this problem?
A serial number would be most helpful. But on a preliminary check if the fuel system that I suspect you have wouldn't allow for the injectors to lose prime without other symptoms. Are you finding fuel in the oil or coolant? Are you getting codes for low fuel pressure? Just based off the symptoms you described in your post I think that you have a crank or cam position sensor that failed. That will cause the symptoms you described and the engine will certainly run with just one. A quick way to find out is to unplug the cam or crank position sensor one at a time and try to start the engine. Whichever one you unplug and the engine won't start the other has failed. But I would definitely verify that by unplugging the other and see if the opposite happens. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Hi Paul, I’m not finding fuel in oil or coolant and had no error codes as yet, once machine has fired up it’s fine starting all day, When it’s been stood over night it turns over for a long time before it fires up, if you prime the fuel system with the pump on top of filter you can hear air bubbles going back into fuel tank,when it’s purged of air it will start as it should do,it’s 4 years old,haven’t got serial number with me, Thanks
In that case I would suspect your hand priming pump especially if it doesn't stay in the stowed position. Those are a big culprit in letting air into a fuel system. Also there where the hand primer is. There is a Allen plug that has a check valve inside. And sometimes a small piece of trash will get under the ball and cause you to lose prime.