Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo 480 E

mxsledder ยท 2015-09-17 16:56

I'm possibly looking at buying one of these but haven't heard anything about the new E series. I've owned a 360B that was a really solid machine. What's everyone's opinion of the new E series volvos?

Replies12
  1. #1Pipe Guy2015-09-19 15:43

    I have owned a 330B, 240B, 210B and was happy with all of them doing water & sewer work. 2014-15 we have rented a 220D, 340D and a 250E. I love the E series with Tier4 final. The seat seems a hair narrow in the hips and the seat belt has to be on to avoid annoying ding. Good on fuel and very predictable controls.

  2. #2tctractors2015-09-19 16:05

    I was using a smaller Volvo the other day as a crane to pull the front tractor head from the skip section on a Volvo A30D Dumper, I think the Excavator was a 380E that has the Re-Gen system on the engine, I must say that for a good sized bit of equipment it was mint on the controls and held things perfectly, Volvo are very common to find in the U.K. with probably the best back up service and parts of any brand that I work on. tctractors

  3. #3mxsledder2015-09-23 17:48

    Great feedback so far! Does anyone else have an opinion on this machine?

  4. #4mxsledder2015-10-19 01:26

    I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this thing. Is there any downfalls to the tier 4 final vs the tier 4 on the D series?

  5. #5Ben Witter2015-10-19 07:37

    I would say other than having to have and add DEF, the T4F E series definitely has the edge over the T4I D series. One word of advice, buy clean fresh DEF and keep it clean. The DEF system needs to be treated the same way as your fuel system. Contaminated DEF will cost you in repairs and downtime.

  6. #6Steve 6502015-11-02 21:24

    New "E" series tier 4 final is way much reliable than the past "D" series. Pilot controls and pump/LS system are now "positif flow", wich mean better fuel economy, better and smoother control, plus you have a bigger cab. Another plus is the bluetooth phone connection and the operator can set is own shortcut on the joystick know (camera,horn, wiper..)

  7. #7mxsledder2015-11-03 00:10

    Thanks for the info. Since there is no msrp or anything for equipment how do you know what a fair price is?

  8. #8JGibson2015-11-03 11:18

    People seem to really like them. I haven't gotten the opportunity to check one out yet, but I have heard good things about them. It should be in the $600K range

  9. #9mxsledder2015-11-11 01:25

    Another local dealer came out and is offering a better deal on a new Kobelco sk 500. Which machine do you guys think is better?

  10. #10tctractors2015-11-11 01:54

    mxsledder, the Volvo is the better excavator of the 2 without any trouble, the power of the dig is unbeatable with the smoothest control you will find on any excavator in the market place today, its pedigree goes back to the Ackerman days that stood well above all comers in quality, finish and power, Kobelco are struggling to sell in the U.K. and would never beat a Volvo sale iron for iron only on price, if you are moving muck on $ yard the Volvo will not let you down, the driver will need full instruction on its controls so it needs a pilot with a Brain to run it correctly not a Muck Monkey. tctractors p.s. plenty of Bulk Muck outfits in the U.K. run Volvo or CAT you never see Kobelco.

  11. #11dirthog2015-11-11 08:36

    Kobelco hands down especially since they have thrown out New Holland and started back on there own.

  12. #12tctractors2015-11-13 02:01

    Kobelco, in the U.K. are not main players in the slew market, they suffer with not having a large Dealer network and often mixing things up with any outfit to prop them up like N.Holland, a big slew like a 50 ton unit is a good bit of Cash that needs good back up on the investment, here it would be a risk take against the likes of Volvo or CAT, Kobelco do build some very good excavators but the pure Dig power on the new series Volvo's has made drivers and owners very happy with the equipment taking sales away from CAT. tctractors