Hi everyone. First post here so hopefully I've navigated to the correct section of the forum. We got a volvo a35e in today that needs the torque converter replaced. We have done several but not on a vovlo.was hoping someone here may have some experience on this machine.as far as the best way to pull it. Axle or cab? Appreciate any help and ty.
Sorry I meant is the best way to pull it by removing the cab .ty
I work for the dealer and we lower the transmission through the bottom. But that takes specialized equipment from Volvo. Your best bet is to remove the cab.
The best way is out from underneath, to do it properly you would need to make a frame to support a pair of lifting chain blocks and a pair of pivot brackets on the transmission, as it needs to swung from horizontal to vertical and back again to drop it out, it can be done by using a jib through the door to support the lifting blocks.... but it's a bit sketchy and you still need to pivot the transmission. Taking the cab off is a royal pain and the only thing you gain is the ability to lift the trans out on its own, I'd rather go engine and trans out in a one than remove the cab.
Appreciate the responses guys.
We did pull the engine and trans together. Was the first volvo we did.thanks for the advice.we came in at 16hrs .
Not bad considering Volvo's own recommendation is 6hrs in a fully equipped dealership with a "new machine" and all the instructions
To pull the engine with the transmission they call for 6.5 hours. To just remove the transmission 6 hours. To install it 7 hours. I work for the Volvo dealer, but we are not fully equipped. We do have the set up to just remove the transmission. And slowly other mechanics and I are getting them to unclench and buy the correct tooling.
Is pulling that transmission something that happens a lot.
I have swapped at least 6 in three years time. Two were warranty and the rest were either high hour components or lack of maintenance.
Yeah, the haul trucks eat transmissions and dropboxes
Usually 2nd or 3rd craps the bed and it can't get moving or the inter-axle differential in the dropbox would grenade. The FL1002 greatly reduced this
The dropbox and operators are the weakest points of these machines. Inthe last two months our shop has rebuilt 10 dropboxes. As a matter of fact. I have one torn down on the table waiting for parts to show up.
Thanks..we have 4 65 ft bays and had no room so we ended up doing it outside and pulled it with the service truck.we had 2 988b s show up jammed us up.lol Thanks again for all the help.hope to return the favor.