I would like to speak to other Volvo BL70 owners about their machine on why that are happy or unhappy. I would also like to compare notes so we can be more educated about these machines. ointhea
Our school has one.... and it's a field follow unit that apparently got missed when Volvo updated some of the systems for the production units:Banghead So I'll I can say is I hope that you didn't get one of those..... :thumbsup From what I saw though it was very back heavy and no one could get the hoe "locked", just my two cents What are you + and - about it? -Jim
Bl70 We have had a BL70 for approx. 2yrs have 2100hrs on it with no problems Excellent machine with very few problems ,it has great breakout force ,good controls ,we have the 4 in 1 bucket with the flip back forks found it to be very handy around job sites,we found the cyl. that locks the hoe to be quite slow in the cold weather,overall very happy:thumbsup
Happy but worried. We use the machine to install sewer and water services mostly. Recently we started installing 8" water main. Have been quite happy with the performance so far. Compared to the deere 310 and 410, new holland 95 & 110, cat 420, komatsu 150. I thought the Volvo blew doors off these other machines. Especially the deeres which my region seems to be blanketed with. The JCB 215 Servies IV though was a mean SoB. We almost bought it, but due to poor dealer support and the promotion ending. We changed our minds. Also bought the Volvo because of the 3 year warranty and 3 year 0%. I thought we could not make mistake based upon that decision besides the performance of the machine. Problems: 1.) Seems like I can not ever get the service light to turn off. 2.) The boom lock does seem freeze in the winter. 3.) The battery master switch has broke twice. 4.) The seat swivels with a grind to one way. 5.) The heater fan is way to weak. 6.) Wishing I could get the extend a hoe pedal updated so it would be tilted. Overall performance is the biggest plus. Lifting capabilities and digging. Also the machine seems to be built very strong compared to New Holland. But the JCB would really outdig probably all of the machines but maybe a Deere 710. It was quite impressive. My biggest fear though is looking at MachineryTrader.com at the resale prices on the Volvos. The bottom has fallen out on them and all seems to be selling with same amount of hours on them which is under 1000. Whicha make me think that a problems are waiting to arise that I don't know about. Kind of like Bobcat's CTLs. The 864 were like the Yugo of construction industry. By the way thanks for your responses. Let's try to keep in touch and informed of how are machines are performing.
That's strange. In all seriousness, I'd always heard that Swedish stuff in general was really good with respect to heaters and other cold weather performance stuff. (Easy to understand why...)
Volvo BL 70 Volvo BL70 is not made in Sweden. But I don't have any idea if these parts can freeze??? But most common BL70 complaints are about; -the flow sharing hydraulic system made by Rexroth. Users think that sharing, longers the cycle times. -there are some finisihing problems on cab. Ofcourse it has positive sides as, 20" front wheels with good manouevrability. (this helps for long lasting front tyre life + more loading capacity) Someone has any idea about its worth?? (with, 4 in 1 bucket + telescopic boom)
Mr HMK -- welcome to the forum! Where are you from? It'll be great to have someone here with the extra international experience.
aren't volvo excavators made by samsung?
Yes, they belong to Swedish Volvo. But not made in sweden. Volvo BL70 is a backhoe loader and most probably manufactured in Polland. As far as I know Volvo excavators are Made in Korea at ex Samsung facilities. (Volvo had bought SAMSUNG excavator branch) Volvo cars belongs to Ford (USA) Anyway, Another Volvo problem i have discussed with users is; the "single" piston loader design. The lack of mechanic kinematic, causes quick tilting movements while lifting the loader arm. This causes, spread of material handeled on bucket.
Volvo excavators Volvo excavators are made in Korea at the old Samsung plant. The Volvo excavators in production now are the samsung production crap with a few Akerman ideas implemented in them. Originally, Volvo bought out Akerman due to Akerman kin not wanting to continue operating the company. Volvo was interested only because Akerman was the best built excavator to this day. In it's day it was the most technological advanced also. Volvo dumped Akerman because of the high dollar price tag and not being able to get the sales numbers. Volvo proceeded exactly like US business. NUMBERS ONLY MATTER TO BIG COMPANIES. nothing else. Thanks for everyones input on the BL70 so far. I tried using the sequence and it worked for 2 days...LOL. Very interesting about the seat.
volvo bl70 owner's manual I just got a 2003 BL70 and it didn't come with an owner's manual. I've been going crazy looking for one online but no luck. can anyone scan and email me a pdf copy or something please. my email is [email protected] . thanks so much.
Il second you on the AKERMANS my old man drove a h9 in the 80s and as i was growing up he always said akerman was a bit slower than some others but by far the srongest well built and ahead of their time i operated a ec150c once back in 2001 it was a 97 model i was only on it for a week as the bloke i used to help out bought a brand new volvo ec140 i nearly cried when the akerman went i thought it was the bestest machine ever and it was well looked after it had air con heated seat all the trimings dont get me wrong the ec140 was some machine but nothing would replace the the ec150c. Moving on I have a volvo backhoe but its the BL71 i do think that the backhoe itself is an AKERMAN itself bit slower than a jcb but all quality made and the strength of a 13 tonner the front loader will push a lot more than a jcb im very impressed with the volvo. But they do have their downsides ive give her a service and canty get the service light off could do with a bit more heat in the cab or more vents and the safety boom lock in the back is completely waste of time wich i have been on 2 bl 71 models and the small ram for the safety leaks after a while on the servo control version every time u turn the seat the safety boom lock thing goes up and down its a pain so ive disconnected mine from the seat on the joystick for the front i have a roller switch for the 4 in 1 bucket which can be controlled very nicely and same goes for the extender stick on the backhoe giving very good control it is a very impressive machine with only a few set backs but theres a downside to every machine.:notworthy
if you goin buy a bl71 get a bl71+ with the pilot levers , can change to JD controls if required [not that i ever would] best backoe i ever drove
good luck,...
i forgot to mention anyone with a VOLVO/AKERMAN ec150c or ec130c for sale 96 -98 for sale in the uk or haw much would it cost to import please let us no. As i have 3 volvo equipment i dont really have great work for the 13-15 ton market so i would like to have one of these so i could treat her as a baby do a few jobs with and play as you do but its got to be good and clean i would really like to have the last models of these babies please let us no many thanks
volvo backhoe loaders are all made in poland.just thought you would all like to know nick...........
I am happy I am extremely happy with my Volvo BL70 loader. because my Volvo BL70 loader is better than other loaders, it's Weighing is 17,800 pounds & it is also the 14-foot BL70 marks the first model in a new line of 10 backhoe loaders series. My Volvo BL70 loader's speciality: it is ranging from 60 to 100 horsepower & it's backhoe lift capacity is 3,395 pounds and loader lift capacity is 7,619 pounds. That's why I live my Volvo BL70 loader. Volvo Heavy Trucks
I am not an owner of a BL-70 but I have operated one before, well actually two. (one was newer than the other.) I worked with them for a week at an orchard in Oregon and they were amazing. I mainly used the one with the older type controls. (long handled controls, I don't know what they are called exactly) I got used to the controls pretty fast and by the third day I was digging big holes pretty fast. If you can get the newer one with the joystick type controls, it is even better because it is easier and a little faster to move the bucket and it just feels better overall. The one with the joystick controls also had A/C so that helped in the hot weather. I was able to remove large tree stumps with the throttle at 1/4 to 1/2 of the throttle level. Also, I used the front loader and it worked very well. I was able to put the bucket down, go in reverse, and float the dirt. After a few passes everything was smooth. Lastly, I liked the fact that you could extent the boom outward with the foot pedal, I was able to reach stumps that were far away from the backhoe but not too far.
well i m very happy to hear we are happy little bunnys in our volvos
Hey volvobl, how did you attach those pictures? Maybe I can't attach any because I am a new member?
when doing a message go to go advanced and then click on manage attachments then browse then pick a picture. Would like to see others volvo bl s see if youre looking after them cos they are the best
You guys know your backhoes!
can you get a volvo bl70 or 71 with a SIDESHIFT and sraight satabelizers in the U.S like my bl71 in the uk
Okay, now that I have three posts I can post some pics. :wink2
now im jealous you got 2 bl's
My impression is the early volvos were bloody aweful machines. My contractor bought one, it was such a huge piece of junk that after a couple years, the dealer gave them a replacement no charge! Sadly, it was no better. So there it sits. The operators will take the 10000 hr cat and leave the shiny new volvo in the yard. Talking to other owners, and that story seems to be common. That said, i think they may have recently got the kinks out. This story is going back to the early 2000s. I would hope they are better now. This contractor has several volvo hoes, and loves them. Keep buying them. My volvo hoe is great. I really like the looks of the volvo backhoes, but i'm kinda scared of them.
i prefer my volvo on slowpy fields compare to a jcb.the volvo is a lot more stable
I have a 2009 Volvo BL70 and I love it but today the front loader stuck down and won't respond even though the controlls are free, any ideas ?
Did you ever find a manual? I have just purchased an 03 as well and need a manual. Can you help?