Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo brand

Josh2 ยท 2014-03-17 12:55

Im looking at the Volvo brand for my next Skid Steer. Anyone have any pros cons?

Replies11
  1. #1KSSS2014-03-17 14:16

    I sat in them at Conexpo. The cab is nice. IMHO visibility out the side without the arm is outstanding. The view out the other side is horrible. The downsides are the typical JCB issues: expensive parts, poor resale, and hit or miss dealerships. I am not sure what the current status is on their newest machines as far as performance and reliability.

  2. #2Josh22014-03-17 16:45

    Thanks. I have heard good things about the newer models and in Alberta where I am there is a dealership. I have had many issues with my Deere and there is not a lot of information on Volvo machines but I do like the ones I have seen.

  3. #3KSSS2014-03-17 17:02

    I came away most impressed with the cab layout. Pretty well done. The skid steer partnership with Volvo may give JCB what they have never seem to be able to provide for themselves in NA which is better dealer network and some legitimacy this market. Now Volvo did not have a name in skid steers before JCB, but I think the Volvo name itself carries more credibility here than does JCB. They should next drop the Volvo backhoe and brand the JCB. Probably would be a benefit to both companies.

  4. #4Grit2014-03-17 17:24

    When i was searching for a machine, i found the JCBs did not move much when it came to sales. I saw a few Volvo's, but a few more JCB. Their prices seemed to be cheaper and hrs lower, but they still didn't move. It could have been because I was looking at used machines, though. As it is I think JCB/Volvo would have a tough time competing. There isn't a JCB/Volvo dealer within 100 miles of me, so I never considered either brand. No, I take that back, Darr Equipment sells and services their equipment now, but i was still uncertain of the marriage and their commitment to servicing their customers. I didn't want to chance it.

  5. #5mowingman2014-03-17 20:59

    I am not at all impressed with Darr's sales, rental, or service Depts. when it comes to JCB. They are very difficult to deal with and do not seem to care if they take care of you or not. The previous dealer would walk through fire to help us out. Of course, Darr was always an obnoxious bunch of S*B's back when they were our Cat dealers, too. If anyone can kill the sales of JCB here, it will be Darr. On the other hand, Romco handles Volvo throughout most of Texas, and they are a class act of good people. I would not hesitate to buy a Volvo here, knowing I have support from Romco.

  6. #6Grit2014-03-17 21:40

    That's interesting, mowingman. Sounds like I made the right choice! Just to make clear to the OP, I'm not knocking JCB/Volvo, just certain dealers that sell and service them.

  7. #7JGibson2014-03-18 08:50

    I had a Jcb 215s, and it was a great backhoe! I had a Jcb 804 super mini excavator, pretty good. I looked at a JCB skid steer. Don't even wast your time with the Jcb/Volvo skid steers. The cab is the only nice feature in the machine. I heard this one story where this guy was pushing a dirt pile and tore the bucket right off. If you have good luck with the deere, I would suggest getting another deere. Ive had Cats which are nice, but Im looking at buying either a 320d or 320e deere.

  8. #8Josh22014-03-18 15:15

    Thanks for the input! We have Strongco up here, They seem attentive but their compact department is smaller than other brands.

  9. #9dave esterns2014-03-18 23:39

    i own a new generation j c b 205 now with 800 hours on it. i have grown to love the machine, and can't really imagine going back to a traditional skid steer. i can't say it is completely perfect, but it is darn close. i just installed the michelin bib steel radial tires on it, which seem to be sweet; i am not confident they will be trouble free at 22 psi, but we will see what happens.

  10. #10durallymax2014-03-21 00:39

    Any reason you need them that low? I can't remember if you run 10" or 12" but I see the JCB 205 is a 7200lb machine. 265/70R16.5 Bibsteel At @ 22psi: 2,180lbs (up to 15mph working) 305/70R16.5 Bibsteel At @ 22psi: 3,120lbs (up to 15mph working) If you are running the 10" ones (which I thought you were) then i'd guess you already have the rears maxed and with anything in the bucket have the front's maxed too. For working around a dairy I don't see much need for the low pressure especially with all of the gravel and concrete, unless you are finding your traction struggles that much with the higher pressures. I run 40psi in both the 10" on our 226B3(5800lb) and the 12" on our 242B3( 7200lb machine). That pressure has worked great for solid wear (close to 1500hrs on the 12" and half worn) and I haven't heard any complaints about traction. Some guys think they are still too "soft" feeling at 40psi.

  11. #11dave esterns2014-03-22 01:32

    we got the 10 inch tires. currently we have lots of frozen mud and chunks of ice and such around which makes for a very rough ride at 2-3 mph so that is why i was running the pressure so low. i found 22 psi to be a bit too rocky when turning and changing directions and such so i upped the tires to 28 psi. right on the sidewall of the tire it says not to inflate over 35 psi when seating bead; so i don't know if thats the max pressure to run or what. i have noticed the tires to ride smoother all the way around, of corse, and have noticed they have significantly more traction in mud. i did expect them to protect the rim more, like bobcat tires, but that could just be the style of the j c b rims too. i was fudging the psi numbers because i rarely go faster than 8 mph and the "static" number is significantly higher than the 15 mph. i will be amazed if the tires make it to 1500 and still have half tread.