I've been on the search for a tandem dump for almost 2 years, limited budget. Found a 2001 Volvo with a 15 ft bed, low sides which would work well for me. Frame looks good, crossmember on bed are good. Seller says his driver ran it out of fuel and now it needs priming. Seller is moving states and wants truck gone quick. Truck is 90 minutes away, so fairly close. Seller is asking $7500. Thoughts? If it's just bleeding a fuel system, that can be done easy enough (unless the D11 is difficult to do so)
Something doesn’t sound right for that price, and they are fleeing the state for something that easy to supposedly to fix and that’s the only problem. Run fast as possible away is my opinion.
You know, I like you Colson so I'm going to stay out of this one.
I know. Sounds to good it probably is. How about a freightliner with a big cam cummins? Seller says it runs fine, but sometimes has a miss. Claims they're downsizing and looking to get rid of most of their equipment.
My other options are two seperate L8000 s for sale. One with an 8.3l cummins, one with a 7.8l ford. Both are old plow trucks and look rough. Tandems, walking beam, lift axle ahead of drives.
Those trucks a turtle could out run pulling up some hills that we have around here.
That 8.3 Cummins sounds nice, got anymore specs pictures or else on it?
I really liked my 7.8 Ford, so good on fuel and quiet, but it had a picker on it so it was perfect for that, not something that's on the road all day. It was gutless with the deck empty and it only weighted around 35,000lbs.
For the Volvo i'd tell the guy if you can't turn the key and get it started when you look at it, you'll pay a fair price for it as a non-runner. See if that changes things. If it was that simple, they'd do it themselves.
I guess around here we all get caught up in the rat race 800 horse triaxles are not a rarity. I cry about the 435 horse c12 powered snail of a tandem dump we have at times. I must be in a hurry
I'm used to the Fors 7.8L. There's 3 of them on the farm. Same vintage, same engine, same trans, same performance. They don't do anything fast, but they do it consistently and seem to go all day long. We've had trans problems in all three, but the engines have been super dependable. Owner of the L8000 with 8.3 won't respond back. It shows he read my message, but hasn't responded.
Then I say stick with the 7.8L for availability of parts you have on hand, familiarity and simplicity to order any parts since you already know most part numbers and where to get them.
Most old plow trucks in your area are going to have rust jacked double frames? What are you hoping for in a price range? dump trucks are really $ by me in price.
I'm trying to keep it under $10k. I know that doesn't buy me a beauty queen. Usually buys something needing tires, possibly brakes, probably has oil leaks and maybe air leaks. And in Michigan, quite probably rust, but not always. My grandpa bought a 30 year old truck for $11k that was rust free. Only had a 7.8L and an Allison, but its been very dependable. There are some trucks around like that, but they usually go quick. I've seen a lot of equipment come on the market recently with pre-covid type prices. One of the sellers I talked to earlier today said he can't keep drivers for his dump truck so he's selling off. I'll just keep waiting and looking. I don't have to have a truck tomorrow, but I would like something before year end.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/961304434539849/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:9d89a161-aca6-4ecf-8fc6-01832ad0b4a4 1989 KW small cam 350, 8ll double frame and walking beams (which I'm guessing is spring over walking beams- but who knows) for 10k. Only bad thing is you would have to drive 4 hours to look.
That has a BC 4 in it, I wouldn't touch it.
Looked at auction prices today here, I was amazed how cheap the dump trucks went. Could have been junk for sure but a 87 Ford 9000 with a 3406 for $5400 that runs and drives. It was the same thing in other trucks though like a 95 WS series 60 with a picker on it for $7500. Will be different everywhere, but i'm betting by spring prices will be way lower then they are now at least here.
What's a bc 4 and why wouldn't you touch it?
It was a interim engine that was a guinea pig of sorts. Mainly the cooling system-low flow. Also used the 401 series jakes which are hard to get parts for/need to update to 425 model-expensive. Some the thermostats are obsolete. Although they use lower press fit liners, the main bolts are only 3/4" and only torque to 255. The caps have a tendency of creeping, most need line bore. Not a terrible engine but Cummins made others that were a lot better. That's true in some cases-people will have culled their junk and kept what was good. That's what is going on right now a lot of junk on the market. be awhile before prices drop.
Under 10,000 is just about impossible by me. But this popped up at 9,500. https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:8a5d201f-bf8f-4793-a67b-bcb722bdf017
Looks like a converted tractor, super short wheelbase. I'd bet you'd put at least another $9500 into it to make it road worthy, or at least a few thousand in parts and a lot of hours if doing it yourself. Also a very tiny box, I bet you could heap that all you wanted with dirt and you wouldn't get close to overweight.
That's good for 48,000 pounds gross in Michigan. We don't get to haul as much per axle as other states, but we're allowed more axles, hence the 5 axle trucks and 6 axle pups we talked about in that other thread. If the tandem truck is light enough, it could net 15 ton, which some of the converted road tractors can do. Most purpose built tandem dumps are only good for 12-13 ton though in Michigan.
Axles he says...
I'm going to take a gander and say that rig weighs about 22k or 20k at minimum plus 30k of load you are over the weight allotment. That one looks to fall in the 12-13 ton weight limit with extra tank, and a E7 engine.
Empty probably 22-24k
My GMC General with tag axle with 17-19 cu capacity dump bed with NTC 350 weighs 24k.
Yea that is low, depending on the steer tires can get 54000 here. But it looks like maybe a 12' box and low sides, depending what you're hauling and what the truck weights you're going to run out of room before you run out of weight.
That one should be light, short wheelbase, small engine, since likely a tractor probably single frame, 12k front. The box is likely pretty heavy. But I cant see it weighting much over 20k.
Pew.
Wrong side of the lake, but in your ballpark $$ wise. Got a high lift tailgate too. $11,000 Seller's Description 91 Mack Triaxle, 350hp Mack E6 engine, Maxitorque 8 speed, Very Solid box, Nice rubber. Good brakes. Heavy front, double fram https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:882ee5d8-4240-461e-b776-500b9a8cdef3
Our stubby road tractor dump with a 13 foot bed you can get a legal load on it quite easily@52000
You guys are way off-32,000 plus on this T800 posted by C.O.. It would have a GVW of 75,000 with that axle spread at least. And the tow unit I built for the company and operate. With full tanks of fuel and 500 lbs of lead behind the front bumper the steer axle is 12,050. The total weight 28,900. The weight of a company tractor 18,500 with full tanks. Which puts the tow unit in the area of 48,000 in total with tractor in tow, which also is the max in total towing weight for breaking and GVW, but not overloaded on drives towing from front or back. All weight was calculated before I built it because it is licensed to run all lower 48 states. And since I built it 3 different towing companies have showed up to look it over to copy. ZackLift took photos of it when I was there to have the tilt cylinder uprated to 45,000 lbs. Plus was told by their design/installation engineer it was the best built best balanced permanent mount they had ever seen. I stretched it from 230 WB to 300 WB.
Idk which weight you are guessing? I've weighed 2 tandem dump trucks, one a t800 and I'm pretty sure it was 24k and one was a old Ford with a 3208 5x4 that was 22k I think. Trucks here go to 54k like that.