Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo D12D engine without V-ACT (IEGR)????

Kevin Cohrs · 2020-05-10 14:21

In the process of overhauling the engine in my 2007 Volvo EC460B. From what Ive been told this engine should have some sort of double exhaust rocker arm system which they call V-ACT. Basically the beginning stages of emissions for these machines. The weird thing is Im not seeing that with mine. The valve cover does say V-ACT stamped into the plastic... I have heard that system could be problematic if not serviced correctly. Is it possible someone previously converted this engine back to the older design? Kinda confused here...

Replies22
  1. #1Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 14:33

    Thinking this is what they would look like if it had them.

  2. #2BigWrench552020-05-10 14:33

    The big circle is the control valve and the smaller circle is the exhaust rocker which in the tip is a slug controlled by the valve using engine oil.

  3. #3Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 15:05

    The small circle is the fuel injector control? Im mostly talking about how my exhaust valve rockers don't have the extra hook on them.

  4. #4funwithfuel2020-05-10 15:47

    Someone has done you a favor. The valve is there. But you have D12C rocker arms. It'll never trip a code, no sensor. No BS of the dbl rocker. You will have a relatively trouble free engine. That valve limits oil to the rocker shaft. At idle, you're at like 20-25 psi, when it asks for EGR, it opens full rail pressure to shaft which would hydraulically push the hook end open to act on the cam. I would leave it just as it is.

  5. #5funwithfuel2020-05-10 16:01

    And you don't have those nasty rotten Delphi injectors., it's the gift that keeps giving. Go buy a lottery ticket. Have you verified the serial number on the block matches the serial number on the valve cover?

  6. #6Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 16:03

    That is very interesting. Cant believe I didn't catch that until just now! So that tells me at some point the original system acted up and this was the cheaper, more reliable way of fixing it. Wonder if others have done this same repair in the past or even knew that it was an option?! That also makes me wonder if the original rockers or the rollers failed and caused that damage to the cylinder head like we talked about earlier... Definitely learning so much about this engine now. Ive done lots of Cummins, Cat, John Deere engine builds in the past, but this is my first Volvo!

  7. #7funwithfuel2020-05-10 16:04

    I was thinking as well, that explains the head repair!

  8. #8Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 16:16

    So the previous owner/mechanic must have really knew what they were doing this engine, or just got lucky with converting it back to a C series. I thought the same thing about checking the serial numbers. Not that someone just swapped a C engine in and reused the original valve cover. If thats even possible...

  9. #9Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 16:20

    Some previous engine builds!

  10. #10funwithfuel2020-05-10 16:20

    The oil control valve says it's a D, the rockers say it's a C . Just take the money and run

  11. #11Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 16:24

    Wow, I might have a one of a kind machine here when its done lol

  12. #12Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 16:54

    So your saying these are not the injectors that would have came factory in a 2007 machine?!

  13. #13funwithfuel2020-05-10 16:57

    Well, those look like Bosch, I think they were typically equipped with Delphi, which had binding posts. That's if i remember correctly. Its been a while.

  14. #14Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 17:00

    They do say Delphi on the sides. Looking at some other ones online I seen they did not have a square style connector. Just the two studs for the wires

  15. #15funwithfuel2020-05-10 17:00

    Well, like I say, its been a while

  16. #16Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 17:11

    No worries. You definitely know more than most about these machines!

  17. #17Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 17:41

    Not sure if I’m looking at the correct numbers on the engine block. None of those seem to make any sense to me.

  18. #18funwithfuel2020-05-10 17:43

    It won't be cast. It will be a machined pad, just below deck or above pan rail that carries the serial number.

  19. #19Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 17:49

    Gotcha I’ll do some more looking. Even if it ends up being a C engine it probably won’t make much difference with overhauling it.

  20. #20funwithfuel2020-05-10 17:51

    No, not at all. The harness is there, the valve is there. All the leg work has been done. Nothing to do but reap the benefits.

  21. #21Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 17:57

    Sweet. I’d just have to confirm the part # kit I have on order would still work.

  22. #22Kevin Cohrs2020-05-10 22:10

    Ill take this as a win. The block serial number matches the valve cover! Found it hiding above the starter once I sanded the paint off.