Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC -240 One track extremely slow along with swing

RKC · 2019-08-21 07:57

Left side track of my Volvo EC-240 excavator is extremely slow along with swing function in either direction. Operator is feeling jerks at the pilot lever while operating the swing. We have changed turning/rotary manifold joint seals but problem persists. Any help would be really appreciated.

Replies33
  1. #1uffex2019-08-21 11:12

    Good day RKC A few questions how many hours has the machine - have you checked the pressures - How is the arm is that oK or is it slow also ? Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2RKC2019-08-21 11:32

    We swapped the hydraulic pump to control valve hoses. Swing and left hand track has become alright but the right track and other functions became slow. We suspect failure of one hydraulic pump and will inspect that. The machine has done 14k + hrs.

  3. #3uffex2019-08-21 13:12

    Good day Before you condemn the pump check that the FR/FL hose drains down when you operate swing etc. if that is correct check the filters for signs of injury - listen at the pump under load - measure the output pressure at full load. Normally the pumps last 10k at least so it may be time to rebuild / replace. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4RKC2019-08-22 08:01

    Thanks for the response. Could you please specify which front right/left hose i should exactly look at?

  5. #5uffex2019-08-22 11:30

    Good day RKC Please see attached. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6twr2019-08-22 14:07

    We have one doing same thing pulled pump customer sent in for rebuild but it back on ran about 6 hrs and did same thing.

  7. #7uffex2019-08-22 14:30

    Good day twr Did you check out the negative control line ? Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-08-22 15:27

    Check your servile oil to your RCVs. The inlet fitting to the manifold is a Filter fitting. Often times you will find my line on stop against the fitting from the inner jacket of one of your hoses. Obviously you're going to want to start with your left joystick.

  9. #9funwithfuel2019-08-22 15:28

    What series is the EC240 are you working on

  10. #10RKC2019-08-22 15:35

    EC 240 B series

  11. #11funwithfuel2019-08-22 15:39

    Yes then please proceed forward with checking me servo oil pressure and flow at your remote control valves. I would suspect you will find trash in the lines jammed up against the fitting

  12. #12RKC2019-08-23 11:31

    We are cleaning the hydraulic pump regulator of debris which isn't giving proper delivery. Will update soon

  13. #13TVA2019-08-23 11:45

    Debris in your regulator came from MCV center gallery! There’s very high chance your NFC relief valve is full of it too!

  14. #14TVA2019-08-23 11:47

    Hi, Funwithfuel!!! Nice to “see” you again! Been a while! There’s fella on Doosan refurbishment project looking for hyd. System cleaning instructions, can you help him!?

  15. #15TVA2019-08-23 11:49

    I would recommend full pilot system and NFC clean up! You might be surprised how faster that machine will become!

  16. #16funwithfuel2019-08-25 13:46

    how have things worked out for you?

  17. #17RKC2019-09-05 09:37

    Sorry for the delayed response, heavy rains here ... Thanks for all the advice on negative control . We opened the pump regulator, cleaned it and all functions appear to be working now.

  18. #18Stodus682022-12-13 22:29

    I know this post is old but I am having similar issue. Was wondering if the regulator is between the pumps

  19. #19funwithfuel2022-12-13 22:36

    Step one, please open a new thread with your serial number and model number in the appropriate section. All are not the same, even though a symptom might be similar, the root cause could be very different. Step 2 measure track sag per ops manual. Adjust same , run and recheck. Check fluid in travel gear boxes. Make sure there is oil and it doesn't look like antiseize.

  20. #20funwithfuel2022-12-13 22:37

    Each pump has its own regulator.

  21. #21uffex2022-12-14 05:20

    Good day Step 3 Fully stroke the arm cylinder and try tracking if it straightens out, the issue is pump. Regulators are not self adjusting. Kind regards Uffex

  22. #22Stodus682022-12-20 13:34

    I have a question what are the rcvs. Don’t know much about Volvos. I have similar issue with this type of machine. I tried opening a new post but didn’t get any response on it.

  23. #23funwithfuel2022-12-20 13:57

    RCVs are your joysticks and foot pedals

  24. #24Stodus682022-12-20 14:44

    Ok thank you, I was wondering if I could pick your brain. I have a ec-240 lc all functions are slow, customer had another mechanic put new rebuilt pumps in and it worked for a month then did same thing again. All functions are slow, I got 2200 psi on servo side, hooked up to pumps got around 3700 while operating. Don’t know how to max out pump. Really not familiar with Volvo and kinda of getting thrown to the wolves with this one.

  25. #25funwithfuel2022-12-20 14:48

    You have a 240 straight? Not B,C,D or anything else?

  26. #26Stodus682022-12-20 18:01

    I uploaded the serial number.

  27. #27funwithfuel2022-12-20 18:10

    Ok. Right off the bat, I'd prefer you open your own thread on this problem. Not all issues are the same, maybe the symptoms, but not usually the causes. So I'd like you to check pilot pressure to the manifolds under the cab. The manifold has a line in from the safety solenoid valve. You should see approximately 450 psi there. There should be 4 lines coming out maybe 5 if you have a straight line travel pedal and a 6th if you have an option pedal. Each line should feed a travel pedal and a joystick. Let's start there. BTW check each function, write down the cycle time bucket open/close. Write it all down in a notebook for reference. That will help narrow things down ,side to side. Front pump rear pump. Ok.

  28. #28Stodus682022-12-20 21:29

    Ok thank you very much, I did start a new thread last week but didn’t get any responses, I am new to this website usually know enough people if I get in a jam but don’t know anyone that worked or works on Volvos. I will be back at site sometime this week and will do the notebook and try to test pressures. Is there test ports or have to make up a tee fitting to test the pressures you recommend.

  29. #29Stodus682022-12-20 21:34

    Also I appreciate all the help to by the way

  30. #30funwithfuel2022-12-20 21:49

    Nearly all the test fittings that are fitted will be Stauff fine thread which is very uncommon. The most cost effective thing to do is to swap out the test fittings for the coarse thread. Then you can get a common gauge set . As far as the pilot lines, you can remove a plug from the supply manifold and put a test nipple there. If you T into the lines (recommended) it should be -6 BSPP. That machine is actually still very Samsung, Volvo hadn't fully converted it yet. You'll want to measure oil pressure to the RCVs and then from the RCVs to the spool caps. The hydraulic system is negative control. Meaning, that the pumps receive full pilot signal to destroke the pumps to minimum displacement as the demand for oil increases, the MCV bleeds off pilot signal as the signal decays, the pump displacement increases. I hope this helps.

  31. #31funwithfuel2022-12-20 21:54

    I'll see what I can do about posting up some specs tomorrow.

  32. #32Stodus682022-12-20 22:28

    Thank you, that does help. Yes I found that out about the test ports about being different. So I went out and bought a hose for them. I will hope to be there tomorrow or sometime this week. Also when you reach a max function like when you curl the bucket out to max, the joy stick will pulsate to.

  33. #33funwithfuel2022-12-20 22:32

    So, there is a pilot filter, there's a case drain filter and a tank return filter. All of which are routinely overlooked. I think you might wanna bring a bucket for some minor exploration.