Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo ec140BLC Throttle issue

Paul Hardiman · 2024-01-16 10:36

Hi I have a volvo ec140 2002 with 7000hrs. I am having issues with the throttle. It revs up to full revs after a few minutes and wont go back down. If i turn it off and back on it works fine for a few minutes before it revs up again. When it warms up it will only rev at 1400rpm or above and wont go back down to 900RPM. Could it be the Governor on the engine or is it more than likely the v-ecu

Replies37
  1. #1uffex2024-01-16 13:35

    Good day Have you the Cummins motor and step motor control? Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Paul Hardiman2024-01-16 13:53

    No it's a Deutz Bf4m2012

  3. #3uffex2024-01-16 14:43

    Good day I suggest begin check out the rack for faults. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4Paul Hardiman2024-01-16 17:38

    Can you replace the rack without stripping the engine down

  5. #5uffex2024-01-17 04:37

    Good day Paul Remove the controller operate the speed control establish if the control is working, pull push the rack ( a flat bar of steel)be sure that the rack is woring correctly. I suggest you be sure that the fuel feed is OK before you go any deeper. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6Paul Hardiman2024-01-17 06:45

    Thank you for your help. When I remove the governor I can work the machine manually by pulling the rack in and out. It seems to work fine. The previous owner had cut the leg off the stop solenoid. I replaced it with a new stop solenoid but the machine would not start when I fitted this. I only have 17volts comming to the stop solenoid from the ecu. Even if I feed it with 24volts direct it still wont let the machine start. If I remove the stop solenioid the machine starts.

  7. #7uffex2024-01-17 09:34

    Good day As I have interpreted your post, the rack works fine at full revolutions and remains the fault is no longer apparent. How is the controller, is that holding at full revs. ? Let us leave the stop solenoid out for the moment to resolve one problem at once. I have the impression you have obtained a machine with dubious history. Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8Paul Hardiman2024-01-17 17:51

    The engine has been rebuilt but the controller is not new. The issue with the engine reving up to max revs was there before the engine rebuild .It was also caused by turning on the lights and wipers. We found a faulty relay in the battery compartment and this fixed it reving up when you turned on the lights and wipers. However it still revs up now after it runs for a few minutes. It will tick over at 1000rpm and work away but as soon as you increase the revs above 1200rpm it revs up to 2100rpm and will only return to low revs when you flick the key off and on again

  9. #9uffex2024-01-18 05:30

    Good day The issue is of an electronic nature. I suggest you try the machine in manual mode, avoid switching the engine off at anything less than real Idle speed as this may damage your turbo. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10Paul Hardiman2024-01-18 05:36

    Thanks for the response. I can use manual mode but I have only one setting in manual mode which is full throttle. Is there any way to adjust the throttle in manual mode?

  11. #11Paul Hardiman2024-01-18 05:39

    I have tried a different ecu (the one behind the cab which makes no difference. I think it is either the V-ecu or the controler. Is there any way to establish which one is faulty.

  12. #12uffex2024-01-18 07:24

    Good day Paul Alongside the Auto-Manual switch there should be a three position switch high speed > idle > stop. You should see errors on the display if it is working, I will try to find the information and post to you. By switching to manual you by-pass the machine V-ECU in the cab and just use the E-ECU behind the cabin. Kind regards Uffex

  13. #13Paul Hardiman2024-01-18 07:29

    Thanks for the help. I will have a look and see if I have the switch with the three positions.

  14. #14uffex2024-01-18 07:35

    Good day See attached. Kind regards Uffex

  15. #15Paul Hardiman2024-01-22 04:35

    Hi I can use the auto switch which lets the machine run at full throttle. I dont have a switch which allows me to change the throttle to idle. Im still thinking its probably the vecu is my issue.

  16. #16uffex2024-01-22 04:47

    Good day Paul I am unsure what you have thie attached is what you should have. Kind regards Uffex

  17. #17Paul Hardiman2024-01-22 05:35

    Hi Thanks for the reply I have the same switches but the switch on the right in my machine only has two settings and will only turn off the machine. It doesnt have three positions.

  18. #18Paul Hardiman2024-01-22 05:36

    The machine is 2002 so they must have changed the switch on later models.

  19. #19Paul Hardiman2024-01-22 05:47
  20. #20uffex2024-01-22 06:53

    Good day Paul Is the switch not spring-loaded to the neutral direction? Kind regards Uffex

  21. #21Paul Hardiman2024-01-22 07:29

    Its spring loaded to neutral but the machine is at full revs when the switch is in neutral

  22. #22uffex2024-01-22 09:48

    Good day Paul It should be idle with the middle position - full speed in the back position - engine shut down in the sprung position for a short period. All providing that manual mode has been selected. Kind regards Uffex

  23. #23Paul Hardiman2024-01-22 11:13

    Hi Thanks for the reply I will check later but the switch on the right isn't doing anything for me. I think it only has two settings neutral and push forward to stop.

  24. #24Paul Hardiman2024-01-22 11:14

    What is the switch with the turtle and the hare for

  25. #25Paul Hardiman2024-01-22 11:22

    If you look at the two diagrams you sent me the two switches on the right are different . One of the has three positions and the other has only two positions.

  26. #26Paul Hardiman2024-01-22 11:25
  27. #27uffex2024-01-22 12:35

    Good day Paul I will try to get some wiring schematics for your machine. Kind regards Uffex

  28. #28EMRE2024-07-11 07:13

    Good day uffex I have a 2005 volvo cl 140 bl always running at full throttle and no possibility to adjust the throttle. When I change the emergencey switch position, it gives error er11. But nothing changes, the machine works at full throttle. Volvo service came and said that both the V-ECU and the entire electrical installation need to be replaced. I had another master look at it and they couldn't figure it out. My excavator has not been working for 3 months and is faulty. Can you help me?

  29. #29Ben Witter2024-07-11 14:32

    EMRE, code ER11 is for MID187 VECU Calibration memory EEPROM. This means the VECU is failing during its self test. The VECU is faulty. You should be able to run it in Manual mode if need be. As far as diagnosing the harness that will have to be left to someone that is physically at the machine. I would say that the manual mode switches need to be tested and verified they are working correctly before replacing the harness.

  30. #30EMRE2024-07-14 15:52

    Hi Ben Witter, Thank you for your answer. I changed the V-ECU yesterday but the problem is still the same. There is nothing visible on the electrical cables, I will have the electrical cable checked again.

  31. #31Paul Hardiman2024-08-28 07:13

    Hi Emre did you get your volvo 140 sorted?

  32. #32Paul Hardiman2024-11-20 05:25

    Could I fit a manual governor to my engine instead of the electrical actuator. The volvo wheeled diggers have a manual throttle which can be adjusted with a cable.

  33. #33Nevrepair2025-03-24 17:57

    Hi Paul Did you ever get to the bottom of this is it possible to fit manual option ?

  34. #34Paul Hardiman2025-03-25 09:24

    Hi I got the machine sorted by fitting a new Vecu It still revs around 1300rpm at idle but it's working fine otherwise

  35. #35Nevrepair2025-03-31 15:10

    Hi Paul Where are u based how much did the vecu cost

  36. #36Paul Hardiman2025-04-02 07:52

    Hi NEVREPAIR I'm based in Ireland and I got my VECU from a scrapped machine in a local breakers. He allowed me to try it out to see if it worked before I paid him to see if it worked. It cost €1000. What is the issue with your machine?

  37. #37Nevrepair2025-04-08 06:05

    Stuck on full throttle will not drop down anymore to begin with switch off used to reset but now constant have vecu order will hopefully work Thanks