Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo ec160b vecu pinout

D-ROM ยท 2017-11-03 20:17

I have service manual but it shows only breakout box pinout, is there a connector pinout available somewhere? Dan Romano D-ROM Machine Repair LLC 3475028669

Replies26
  1. #1Ben Witter2017-11-03 20:55

    If you have the service manual you have everything you need

  2. #2D-ROM2017-11-03 21:22

    Yes, minus the breakout box which has the pin numbers which I couldn't find on either side of connectors. Dan

  3. #3funwithfuel2017-11-04 00:14

    Did you check Relay 3101 & 3102. These are located above the battery box on the front of the fuel tank behind the 4 bolt fiberglass cover. Swap out with horn and high speed travel relays for testing. Very common defect. Next, before you go after VECU , do you have a working fuel level gauge, and functioning throttle control. Very important

  4. #4funwithfuel2017-11-04 00:15

    In your service manual look for active and passive measuring of VECU.

  5. #5D-ROM2017-11-04 07:57

    I see the testng for vecu but it utilizes a breakout box which I do not have. I would like to back probe connector for testing. I have a new MDU coming because mine had gotten wet and was not working, there was corrosion on board inside. I played swaptronics with relays already. Throttle control is the symptom that I am chasing. Thank you. Dan

  6. #6Ben Witter2017-11-04 10:05

    Does the throttle work in manual mode? Does your fuel gauge work? The pin numbers can be determined by looking at the schematic or if you look at the active and passive measurements document mention by fwf you will see the connector and pin designation listed as the test points. location JA1 = connector JA and pin 1 OH and be careful backprobing. It is not recommended as you can damage connectors this way. And inserting a probe in a connector can spread or loosen the connector causing more issues.

  7. #7D-ROM2017-11-04 10:09

    Ok. Thanks for clarifying . Throttle works in manual mode. Display is water damaged, replacement has been ordered. Dan

  8. #8funwithfuel2017-11-04 10:13

    sorry it took me a bit to find my old notes. This was always helpful to me in the past

  9. #9funwithfuel2017-11-04 10:14

    BTW, what instrument panel do you have. Analog with orange needles or LCD with digital display?

  10. #10funwithfuel2017-11-04 10:18

    Here, so you can identify pin location. As Ben stated, don't go jabbing oversize pins in there. You will cause more trouble for yourself. Go to the junkyard and harvest yourself a couple of terminals with small flat blades to use as test probes.

  11. #11D-ROM2017-11-04 10:33

    Thanks, just what I needed. I will also dig deeper into manual to find this. I have a back probe kit with needle size probes. No test light jabbing. Display is the LCD unit. Dan

  12. #12funwithfuel2017-11-04 12:04

    Do yourself a favor. You stated you have a new I-ECU on order. Take the back cover off your existing. 4 torx screws. Drill 2 water drains at bottom. You will see a water line inside. There's a data ribbon in there. Sometimes, if luck is on your side you can clean and reposition to restore data and functionality. Good luck.

  13. #13D-ROM2017-11-04 12:40

    The data ribbon and connector were crusty and eroded, as well as the board was destroyed. I like the drain idea although the lack of window issue has been resolved. Thanks. Dan

  14. #14funwithfuel2017-11-04 12:48

    You're still gonna wanna drain the new housing, experiment on the old. 2 3/16" drains are all you need. If you look at the old display waster can sit on the screen and migratee in around the edges. Once it's in, there's nowhere for it to go. Consider You're digging in light rain or snow. The wiper ain't doin a great job. You throw open the front windscreen. Then your problem begins all over again. Some guys were afraid of dirt migration, but in all thee ones I did over the years , no repeat failures from water intrusion to the I-VECU. Are you getting pre-programmed or blank. They are not plug n play. You'll have to have the dealer come out , run a conversion and program it. Just a lil FYI

  15. #15D-ROM2017-11-04 13:20

    Yes, I will take your advice on the drain holes, it's a good practice. I have a display unit coming not vecu. I have seen the I-VECU offered pre-programmed. Are the units from China actually Chinese built, reman, or spares that happen to be in China? I have experience buying OEM, made in Japan parts for Japanese machines from China.

  16. #16funwithfuel2017-11-04 13:27

    I can't speak to aftermarket Chinese. As a dealer tech, we would only install factory components. I would certainly hope since you pulled the trigger on one, that it is programmed in English. It would suck if it had kanji on the display. How would you read it? Factory Volvo excavator parts are typically Korean as they were acquired from Samsung. Good luck. Hoping for the best.

  17. #17funwithfuel2017-11-04 13:28

    Sorry I-VECU was a typo. I was referring strictly to I-ECU

  18. #18D-ROM2017-11-04 13:35

    Good point about language on display. To clarify, I did not buy vecu only display. The company that I deal with has good customer service so if I decide to go that route I will be sure to inquire about country of origin and things like language. Thanks. Dan

  19. #19funwithfuel2017-11-04 13:36

    Cool, best of luck to you.

  20. #20D-ROM2017-11-04 15:55

    I just checked manual again and found the connector identification diagrams but they still don't show pin numbers, so thanks again for those pictures. I will add numbers to my manual diagrams. Dan

  21. #21funwithfuel2017-11-04 16:00

    If you look very carefully with a magnifying glass, the cavity numbers are in the body on the wire side. Which is actually good since you'll be back probing. The down side is you can't lock the lever down which pulls the connector down and into the terminals.

  22. #22D-ROM2017-11-08 20:17

    I got my display from China and was pleasantly surprised to find out it is an Oem Volvo part. This company sells many types of Oem ecu, display, throttle motor, and cylinder seals. I now understand what you stated about it needing programmed as it has a serial number of 0 and won't allow machine to start while connected. I thought you were warning me about the VECU needing to be programmed as I had seen them offered pre- programmed. I knew the display as it was called in manual an MDU. Will I need to have a tech come out to the machine or can this unit be programmed separately at the dealer by serial number? Thank you. Dan

  23. #23funwithfuel2017-11-08 20:25

    Your service manual was eluding to early model B-series. They had the analog display and the . Those were all plug n play. Serial numbers are so important. Thats why i asked if yours was LCD or had the orange needles. Yes, you'll need a dealer tech to come out with tech tool to program it for you. Make sure their software matches the hardware. In the software ID the hardware number should match the pn on the sticker on the side of the display.. it won't program if it doesn't match.

  24. #24Baker's Bucket Works2020-04-28 16:21
  25. #25Baker's Bucket Works2020-04-28 16:22

    I am haveing the same problem with my volvo 160 but the throttle and fuel gauge doesn't work

  26. #26funwithfuel2020-04-28 17:25

    Please post serial number and if possible a pic of your instrument panel. There were 3 versions of the B series Let's start a new thread so yours doesn't get muddied up with this one.