Hi all. I am a new guy here.I have a limited knowledge about diesel engines,relays and saftey switches. In other words I'm just a cement finisher thats fixed my or my employers equipment over the years. My problem is this... My mini started to shut itself off about a year ago. At first it was only once in a while. Now it has become much more frequent, like once every 2 or 3 minutes. I havent been using it much over the past year or so. I believe it is electrical because when it shuts off it is just like as if I tuned the key off. I can hear the click of what I am pretty sure is the shut off solenoid-then shut down. Turn the key and it starts right up. I checked the filters and they are fine. Does'nt sputter or die like its starved for fuel. I am hoping someone can give me some Ideas as to where to look. Thanks Jim
Sounds like a loose wire or connection problem, assuming of course its not a fault switch on the ignition key.
I am wondering if there is a way to jump a hot wire to the shut off solenoid. Then maybe if it stays running that would eliminate the shut off solenoid as the problem? I'm wondering if maybe the shut off solenoid is weakened it may be shutting off on its own?
I dont know for sure but I would have thought the solenoid was energised when the key turns on and shuts off when you stop the engine, so if you are hearing a click before it shuts down something is disconnecting the supply ie a loose wire or similar, so putting on a permanent feed should prove that. It may be worth moving the wirring harness about when it running to see if you can provoke the fault into showing itself, you may have to remove some panels/covers to do it. I dont have a volvo machine but its worth a go, someone on here might know of any safety shut down devices ie "overheating" ect that could be faulty?
Just as an aside, the oil isn't low or or anything like that right? I'd be more concerned that it might be a safety related item on the engine.
Thanks to everyone so far. I appreciate the engine saftey shutdown idea but all the fluids seem fine and she seems to be purring like a kitten then click and shutdown. Im kinda miffed.
Hi jim t, did you find a solution for your problem? I think that I can help you, for 2 years ago, I worked for a Volvo construction equipment dealer, so if you need something, no problem I can help you.
Beetle Bug, I would really like to talk to you. I sent you an e-mail the other day. Still no luck. Thanks Jim
Hi JimT, Ive just brought myself a EC20. How do you find yours? But i have the same problem as you. The machine cuts out all on its own. Did you get to the bottom of the problem with yours and if so what was it? Kind regards Neil