Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo ec210 running bad after hurricane

03 EC210 ยท 2016-10-08 21:13

Hi all I have a 2003 Volvo ec210blc (v11360). I live in Florida and just went through hurricane Matthew. The machine sat for four days in sideways rain. It started fine this morning and idled for 10 minutes before starting to miss and sputter. Put on new fuel filter, topped off tank with fuel (it was down to 1/4) , and added a bottle of Diesel Dry. Let idle for half hour and engine ran smooth at all rpm's. When I started to work it the engine would bog down when I would mix more than two controls or when I would travel with both tracks, one would not bog it down. It never did completely stall but probably would if I tried. I run wide open but have to be very slow with controls to keep it in the power. Could it be water in the fuel related problem or might I have another separate issue. Any suggestions or things to check would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Adam

Replies14
  1. #1Mack42552016-10-08 22:21

    I have an 07 ec240b with similar issues. I wish I could help but I'm lost . Mine will bog down and kill the engine with one controls.

  2. #203 EC2102016-10-09 06:45

    Hi Mack4255 I feel your pain. You probably read the case Cx210 thread. Lots of good ideas to try to isolate the problem there. Hope someone that knows Volvos could give us some clues. (Unplug turbo? Relays? Control valves? Wrong Hydrolic fluid? Manual vs auto mode?(not sure how to try that)....... at a loss

  3. #3clintm2016-10-09 09:12

    first I would drain the bottom of the fuel tank to see if you have any water in it. It needs to be setting still and not running as long as possible preferably over night before draining so the water will settle if you do have water you need to replace all fuel filter again i would also try and blow out as much of the fuel lines as possible. and try and find an in line filter/screen in the fuel line or bolt in a fitting

  4. #4Delmer2016-10-09 09:45

    I'll second Clintm's suggestions. I don't know Volvo's so I won't guess where it could be blocked. Does it smoke when it's bogging down? I hate to say it but when you said four days in sideways rain, I thought "I hope he turns the engine over by hand before starting it". Maybe the exhaust can't get water in it at any angle? And it sure doesn't sound like an internal engine problem, just that's one possibility to keep in the back of your mind. Do you know how to check out the electronics on that? I'm just guessing a 2003 has some.

  5. #503 EC2102016-10-09 13:20

    Thanks clintm and delmer Tomorrow morning I will open the valve on the bottom of the tank and see what I get and search for a inline screen. It does have some black smoke when bogging but not much. The exhaust has a flapper over it but maybe the wind blew it up or the cover on the gas cap key lock maybe let water in. I don't know how to check the electronics. As I said in the first post, when I changed the filter it started running smooth but will pull down under load. Do you guys think this could still be water in the fuel related ?or could lightning of hit it? Would it run at all? What about old batteries could they cause issues? They still start it. Thanks for your time Much appreciated

  6. #6clintm2016-10-09 15:59

    I would think that if it got water in the exhaust it would not have gotten better when you changed the filter . I do know on the 360B if the alternator was not charging correctly it would cause problems. the inline filter could be inside a hollowed out bolt on a banjo fitting usually near the fuel pump.

  7. #7clintm2016-10-09 16:02

    the turbo could be stuck also .If it's not the fuel take the intake hose off of the turbo and see if it spin's freely that's the rain would have went first after it made it through the muffler.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2016-10-09 17:18

    Not sure how the air cleaner sets on that one but make sure there is not water in it that gets sucks up with increased air demand under load. Black smoke could be an indication to the air side.

  9. #903 EC2102016-10-09 17:30

    Thanks clintm Great ideas. I did check the alternator and it was putting out. I will look for that inline filter tomorrow. Wondering if there is a screen/filter in the bottom of the tank. I will check the turbo in the morning also, never thought of it being stuck. I'll post back tomorrow evening what I find. Thanks again

  10. #1003 EC2102016-10-09 17:53

    Hi old iron habit I did check the air filter when it started running rough and it was dry and clean. I was hoping it was wet. I could have fixed that cheap and easy. Even tried running it for a bit with the inner filter only, same results. Thanks for your reply, every bit of info helps me.

  11. #1103 EC2102016-10-10 18:09

    Hay Mack4255 I went round and round today with my machine. It was all fuel issues. I did find some kinks in the main fuel line that goes to the pump Fixed that and it ran a little better. But the true culprit was a stuck open bypass valve in the pressure filter. Runs like a new machine Unbelievable

  12. #12clintm2016-10-10 21:47

    :scool

  13. #13Mack42552016-10-12 22:43

    You say a stuck valve in the pressure filter. Did you have to replace the filter housing ?

  14. #1403 EC2102016-10-13 05:34

    No My 2003 has a Volvo engine and The pressure filter is connected to the top of the engine after the fuel pump. It is a cartridge filter. I pulled the filter out and took a clean screwdriver and pushed the little bypass valve that is under the filter up and down several times. When you put the New filter back on first you can feel it push the bypass valve closed. Then put the threaded cap back on. Also pull the bottom covers off and check fuel line for kinks. Mine had flat spots in it where it makes the bends thru the frame and where it curves up into the pump. Hope it works. Mine has never ran this good since I have had it.