Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

volvo ec210cl throttle dial won’t work in manual. Code psid 201 09

farmmaterialmover · 2026-01-01 21:54

My volvo ec 210cl will not throttle up in manual mode. If you quickly switch it to auto mode and turn idle up over 1700 rpms it will usually idle almost indefinitely. But if you put it under load it will give you the red engine malfunction shut down screen and derate rpms. If you don't start the machine and simply turn the key on without switching to auto throttle, it will quickly give a yellow no communication screen which if you click on it shows psid201-09 source e-ecu. If you have the switch in auto and key on, it usually won't throw a warning screen. It always starts in manual position. Sometimes it will start in auto position, but not always. If you run machine at low idle, it doesn't matter what position any switches are in, it throws up a no communication warning soon followed by a engine shutdown warning. Once in awhile it won't give the yellow warning, just go straight to red warning. Where do I start?

Replies4
  1. #1farmmaterialmover2026-01-01 23:37

    I might also say that the auto idle works great, both idling down when not using and idles up when use a joystick. When it idles down though, the yellow or red warning happens pretty quickly.

  2. #2sfrs42026-01-02 04:51

    Fault mode FMI 9 Detection conditions:The engine control unit (E-ECU) registers: that bus communication is missing with V-ECU on CAN/J1939 Symptom: ○ Yellow central warning ○ Alarm sounds 4 times ○ "Check" screen Possible causes: ○ Open circuit on bus communication (cable harness) ○ Short-circuit to voltage on control link (SAE J1939) ○ Short-circuit to frame ground on control link (SAE J1939) ○ Leads in control link (SAE J1939) short-circuited to each other ○ Electric interference on the bus signal so basically check the twisted pair that connects the ecu's the yellow pair on the drawing, NOT YELLOW IN THE LOOM

  3. #3farmmaterialmover2026-01-02 18:39

    Ok, thank you. I will follow up and trace those wires. In the mean time, I understand more about the machine. I understand more about what manual mode means. The reason it starts all the time in manual is it isn't recognizing much of anything...like the lever you pull up once seated in the cab. That lever being left up is why it wouldn't start sometimes in auto mode. I also realize that the throttle dial is supposed to not work in manual mode. You have a high idle and low idle with the switch next to the man/auto switch. So now I understand the manual mode a bit more and think it is just for moving the excavator to a safe place if things quit in auto mode? I still have a question though...in manual mode low idle it will give me the yellow communication lost 209-09 code and it will soon give me the red message to turn the engine off. When in manual mode and high idle it doesn't give me the red warning and I think the machine could be actually used. Does this tell anyone what might be triggering the red shutdown message since it seems to not care in high idle?

  4. #4Lagwagon2026-01-03 17:59

    Likely failed VECU