Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC240B bogging down

Mack4255 ยท 2016-10-12 22:58

My ec240b has a problem. For a while now it would start bogging down under a load a few times a day. I would always turn the key off and restart and it would go back to digging just fine. But that problem has gotten a lot worst now. It is running rough even at ideal now. Sounds like it's only running on 2 or 3 cilinders. It does blow some black smoke while idealing . I first thought fuel problem so I replaced filters and fuel line from tank to feed pump , drained tank and checked screen. I've replaced the vecu this pass summer for no signal to monitor issue. Doing the auto/manual switch does not change anything on how it runs. I'm thinking it's an electrical problem maybe in e ecu. Please help.

Replies10
  1. #1Mack42552016-10-15 17:17

    Any body have an idea

  2. #2mikebramel2016-10-15 18:00

    What engine does it have? Mechanical or electronic?

  3. #3Mack42552016-10-16 12:19

    It has a Volvo engine . Electronic

  4. #4mikebramel2016-10-16 23:21

    Black smoke at idle, low top end power. Sounds like a plugged air filter. Also check the turbo

  5. #5uffex2016-10-17 11:15

    Good day Mack4255 With the risk of repeating advice check the fuel feed pressure after filter, i realise this takes time and adapting a pressure gauge but believe me it will pay off. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6whitemike2016-10-17 18:15

    Could be sucking air into fuel system somewhere, make sure filters o-ring is good and not two of them on, i have seen it happen. Make sure fuel system is venting, this can be done by running with cap off just to check. It is electronic so you can plug into a diagnostic tool.

  7. #7Mack42552016-10-17 21:13

    I Have replaced air filters, replaced fuel filters ensuring gaskets and a little grease on them, replaced fuel line from tank to feed pump. I have not check the turbo ,what is the best way to do so? I can check fuel pressure tomorrow . How much pressure should I see if I check it coming out of the filter?

  8. #8uffex2016-10-18 10:23

    View attachment 240 Fuel issue.pdf Good day Mack4255 I suggest you forget about the Turbo and focus on the fuel the turbo is more relative to power issues, please see attached. Kind regards Uffex

  9. #9Mack42552016-10-18 18:33

    Fuel pressure at the filter is 84lbs at ideal.

  10. #10Mack42552016-10-18 20:53

    Hallallua folks. I found the problem. The wiring Harness at the engine . The large one that has a bolt in the middle of it holding it together.it had a bad connection their . The injectors wasn't getting signal to open . Machine straighten right up after cleaning and greasing the connection. Thanks for helping me with this. My other problem is still their having to switch to manual for the key to start the machine.