Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC290c – How to swing arm inline with a seized motor?

Stevos ยท 2021-06-02 06:43

Hi, I'm currently trying to move a 2013 Volvo EC290c excavator ready for transport. However the boom/arm is in right angle to the track carriage and it has a seized motor. Going directly to the slew motor, which hydraulic lines do I need to pressurize to release the break? Can this break be released or am I just pushing sh*t up hill? I've pressurized the 2 small hydraulic lines individually only with no luck. I've combed through various sites and forums with no luck either. I'd greatly appreciate any ideas. Thank you for your time.

Replies10
  1. #1Vetech632021-06-02 08:01

    A pic of your swing drive including the motor would help. I'm not familiar with that model of excavator but it is more than likely similar to most others. You can pressurize the brake line (the smallest line I'm assuming) And remove the main lines off the motor. This will release the brake and prevent the motor from hydraulically locking so you can move the upper structure. Keep in mind the upper will be totally free with little restriction to keep it from taking off if the machine is unlevel. I would tie the bucket off to a backhoe or something just n case. Now, if one of our resident Volvo experts comes in here and tells me I'm wrong..........I'll owe them a beer.......after I eat my crow.

  2. #2funwithfuel2021-06-02 08:08

    There should be a "P" port on the case. It will be a smaller hose. You only need 450 psi to release the brake. The problem comes in, it has an engineered leak to allow the brake apply to set slowly. Odds are, you're going to have to have a machine ready to swing it the way you want, then you would unbolt the motor from the gear reduction, get it where you want then put the motor back down and bolt in place. Its the safest way with the situation you have.

  3. #3Vetech632021-06-02 08:14

    I was close but you still get a free beer

  4. #4funwithfuel2021-06-02 08:18

    If you could rig an electric pump to charge your pilot circuit, that would accomplish what you want cuz you'd have your pilot oil with oil behind it to replenish what leaks off. Good luck, be safe.

  5. #5Stevos2021-06-02 08:30

    Geeze if this works, ill supply the bloody beers! Is it possible to put pressure on the P port and pull the arm around with another excavator, without losening the motor from the gear reduction or would i be doing damage?

  6. #6Stevos2021-06-02 09:44

    Geeze if this works, ill supply the bloody beers! Is it possible to put pressure on the P port and pull the arm around with another excavator, without losening the motor from the gear reduction or would i be doing damage?

  7. #7funwithfuel2021-06-02 10:47

    Thats the problem with the delay. You have that leak off. So you could reach 450 with a portapower, by the time you get in the cab and start tugging, your pressure should have leaked off. Just look for the gotchyas before you do anything. Safety first. Good luck.

  8. #8funwithfuel2021-06-02 10:59

    The anti-cavitation valves will prevent hydraulic damage. The brake, that has to be released. Otherwise you run the risk of boogered up sun shaft or putting debris in the brake housing.

  9. #9Stevos2021-06-02 23:41

    Thanks mate for your input. I really do appreciate your time, assistance and most importantly..your extensive knowledge. Heading out there now before the rains arrive. Thanks again

  10. #10funwithfuel2021-06-03 06:18

    Best of luck to you.