I have a Volvo ec330blc. Last summer It shut off and wouldn't start (just turned over) . Let sit a couple days and it started right up. Then it happened again and wouldn't start at all. I contacted a diesel mechanic and thought it might be oil sensor do to low oil. Filled oil and still no start. No smoke coming from exhaust as if NO fuel. I feel its an electrical issue. Checked all fuses and visual wiring. Contacted Ascendum they came out and diagnosed a fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump, filters, cleaned fuel lines. Still no start. Now they say its injector wiring harness. I don't have confidence with the diagnose. I don't want to keep guessing what the issue is.
It's probably the cam or crank position sensor from what you described.
how to find location? any way to test them?
Post your serial number and when I get to the shop tomorrow I can look up where they are. No way to test these sensors unless you have software or a oscilloscope. But the sudden shut down is a symptom of losing the position sensor. You probably was only running on one when the other went. Were you having extended cranking before it would run?
ec330blc vcec330bt00080227 It always started right up. the one time it shut off was during several hours of use and it just shut off. Wouldn't start. Sat for a few days and started right up as nothing was ever wrong. It shut off this last time and hasn't started since. Asendum has worked on it a couple days and are all over the place on diagnoses. They replace fuel filters, pump and cleaned fuel lines. Then proceeded to say it was software issue. Then said I needed new batteries. I installed new batteries. Now they are saying its the wiring harness for injectors. I honestly think he is stumped and just guessing. And the repair bill is $5600 plus $1000 for diagnosing. Still not running. Very frustrated. It turns over fine but NO smoke from exhaust. Its got to be an electrical issue.
The ecm will not fire the injectors if it doesn't know where the crank or cam is. It definitely sounds like you have a parts changer diagnosing your machine. I am still leaning towards the position sensor because of the sudden shutdown. A simple test with a digital meter would tell you if the injector harness is bad. The injectors are pulse with modulated. Cylinders 1-3 have a common wire and 4-6 have a common wire. If there was a issue with the harness. Both of those common wires would have a problem. And I have my doubts unless it's a mouse problem. That harness just doesn't fail unless something acted upon it. Either way a multimeter will tell you. If that guy changes the harness and you still have the same problem. Then he will want to put injectors in it next. I know nothing about your dealer and the guys working there. But you may need to get a different mechanic out there for a second opinion.
Another mechanic said mouse issue lol. I pulled inspection doors under cab and wires look ok. All visual wires look ok but can't see all of them. i'm hoping to find someone else to look at it but harder than said. Trying to do what i can on my own.
Sorry for the delay. I got slammed today.
Above your battery box is a plastic cover retained by 4 bolts. Please remove the cover, beneath you will find a plastic housing with 6 10mm screws. Carefully remove that cover, inside you will find relays, most likely not properly secured. First thing resecure everything as it should be. Now inside the cover is the legend for the relays one is data and the other is EMS. I would suggest swapping those 2 with the ones for horn and high speed travel. See if she starts. Good luck
I bet that's what it is. I completely forgot about those relays. In a moment I will post information on those. Don't you usually get a communication error code when those relays fail?
Take this information with a grain of salt. I find that these early models were not well documented by volvo.
Depends on which instrument panel he's got. The old analog display with MDU doesn't care. Another simple test to rule out the rest of the machines programming, with the key in the off position, go straight to crank in one motion, do not stop at the run position. If it starts like this, there's a data issue, if it doesn't, look to E-ECU, wiring and fuel issues. Cam n crank sensors are pretty resilient. When it was running, the other would have been tripping errors. He shoulda had a warning.
It's been my experience that the speed sensors fail with no error codes. At least on the late model machines. I don't see the early model stuff much.
Thanks for the information. Hoping to have time to try the suggestions tomorrow. Will report back afterwards. Thanks again.
Keep us updated. It's just as important as the technical information.
Please take pics of your instrument panel and the relay box so we can better help moving forward
Not sure witch relays are the data /ems. Did try to start it from the off position straight to the start position and it just turns over. When you turn it over for a few seconds a warning light comes up. I attached pic.
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. The V-ECU is not communicating. Does this error appear when you allow the display to boot up normally? R1 and R2 are the first 2 relays (vertically) on the right bank swap them with R3 and R4. If that doesn't work, there's a switch under the left elbow armrest. 2 thumbscrews hold the cover on. One position is normal, the other is bypass. Only after exhausting all other testing, flip that switch, it takes the V-ECU out of the equation
Not sure what you mean by booting normally? Do you mean by just turning the key on? When I turned the key on and let the glow plugs heat up I am not sure if the error is showing up. When I turn the engine over for a few seconds the Red light flashes at the top of the instrument panel and then I scroll through the screens to get the error code. I will try switching the relays tomorrow and report back. The bypass you are talking about, do i flip the switch and try to start engine?
If nothing else works. Most of the time,just looking at the switch is enough to cause issues. So. If nothing else works, flip the switch and see if the engine starts. The fact that your fuel gauge has no reading on top of the error code tells me, you have an issue with the V-ECU. Depending on your comfort level with troubleshooting, we can provide greater detail instructions which the dealer should have followed, but I'll bet a nickel, didn't.
I’ll do the relay and switch you suggested. We are getting fuel at the filter. The Fuel gauge is showing 1 bar. It flashes when low fuel. I’ll ad fuel to be sure gauge is working. I’ll Report back tomorrow. Thanks.
Tried the relays with no luck. Switched the black switch and it cut the display off but still not starting. Just rolls over no exhaust smoke.
Pic
while you've been trying to start the machine have you run the batteries down at some point, that could have given the fault code that was on the display and leaving a red herring that code shows as below Fault mode FMI 1 Detection conditions:The vehicle control unit (V-ECU) registers: that the voltage is below 18.5 V(VB15/VB16) Symptom: ○ Red central warning ○ Buzzer sounds one time ○ Error message screen ○ V-ECU function can not work correctly Possible causes: ○ Defective alternator ○ Defective battery, battery cables ○ Loose connection Action Alternator, checking charging voltage hence why your original guy said replace batteries. just to try to rule that out
I have 240blc that has had a similar problem. It took me a long time to locate the problem, I went through the same stuff you did. if it was 54 degrees and above outside it would fire right up, 53 degrees and lower she would just crank and crank no smoke. The engine ECU behind the cab had a barometric Pressure sensor in it that went bad. The only way to find out was to put a torch or a heat gun to the metal box and warm it up. It would trick the sensor and fire right up like it for 8 hours.
Yes Batteries have run down before. New batteries have plenty charge. Is there a way to erase error codes? This no start issue is not a low temperature issue because its been plenty of warm days and still wouldn't start.
When all else fails, look for.......
Did you ever solve this issue dealing with same situation at the moment