Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EW140 make it run project

ROAMER_AUS ยท 2023-01-13 18:51

Hi all, I have interesting and challenging project proposed to me. EW140, yes the one with perkins engine............. Now, machine had both computers stolen at some stage. Customer wants to bring it back to life. Even after advice that it is pointless because of........oh well known issues for this model....he is still sticking to his idea. Now, my question is. I have details of the computer under the seat that has overall control and I have an idea what it does and how to "copy" it's basic functions, barely just to make machine run. But I'm a bit lost on the computer behind the seat, the one that runs engine and pumps. Engine I can make run without it. But lacking details for the pumps. So if anybody has any ideas, I'd like to discuss. And if anybody has comprehensive service manual for this model that they will share? What they have on PROSIS for this model is basically a bit more than a user manual. On a side note, I have previously built "computers" for ZF transmission and HIAB crane from clean sheet of papaer, so I am not stranger to these things. Thanks all for the ideas!!!!

Replies10
  1. #1uffex2023-01-14 04:34

    Good day That Perkins engine normally covered with black oil will be trouble all the way while the machine is basically sound. If I may suggest source a Deuzt or Cummins from the start that would be a benefit to many owners. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2ROAMER_AUS2023-01-14 09:28

    Thanx for the info uffex. At this stage, goal is to get it to functional state, regardless of the engine. After that, customer may go down that road. Which Deutz engine is most suitable do you know?

  3. #3uffex2023-01-14 11:01

    Good day I would recommend that from the 140B 4 cylinder Volvo reference D5D EBE2 88Kw ISO max torque at 1400 rpm. (Actual Deutz engine) This worked very well for the EW140B-EC140B trouble free. I actually tried a few brand new EW140A machines the vast majority would struggle to get up a shallow slope. I question if those engines ever met the quoted power rating certainly never suffer from rust, no doubt the engine representative will tell you it complies with their factory method of measurement.The Deutz set up makes use of the Serdia ECU with luck you may be able to find a engine with the ECU. Look at the generator market very similar specification. I suggest it may be a lot simpler to get hold of a VECU from a similar machine and reprogram the chip.I should mention you have three ECu's one for the transmission on the wheeled version. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4ROAMER_AUS2023-01-14 12:21

    Thanks Uffe. I just had a look at the engine. I don't need ECU for this type of engine. I make my own. Read the RPM and PWM throttle accordingly. That's the easy part. These are mechanical pump injectors if I'm not mistaken? VECU reprogramming you mean to marry it up to engine ECU? Oh I forgot about transmission, better check if that one is missing too I will make 1978 CAT out of it by the end of it.

  5. #5uffex2023-01-14 15:35

    Good day If your machine is as the attached spec. The TECU. is not part of the system, yes, those engines have individual pumps & injectors. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6ROAMER_AUS2023-01-14 16:45

    That looks like the one. Do you have service manual by any chance?

  7. #7Volvomad2023-01-14 16:54

    Not familiar with 140but on perkins powered EC160 with single Linde main pump , by disconnecting the electric power to the hydraulic pump ,pump goes to higher flows and will overload engine the engine as work pressure rises. By increasing pump voltage as pump pressure rises the machine works. Not great but works. From memory I have min of 3 volts with stepped increases to 12 volts. Digs ok but tracking is weak.

  8. #8uffex2023-01-15 07:55

    Good day Short of a manual, but have notes and some schematics and a failing memory. Kind regards Uffex

  9. #9ROAMER_AUS2023-01-15 18:00

    No worries. I'll keep you posted when / if project gets under way.

  10. #10Chris19812023-09-14 08:55

    I have an ew140a model. you can find used computers from mascus. Biggest problem of this machine is the circuit/ fuse box. Let me know if you need anything with the machine. Also i have the user manual. perking engine is ok for the machine. Ive changed mine to a intercooler one