Hi Everyone, just joined up not long ago and looking for some opinions on the mid size Volvo excavators. We've been looking for a while now trying to find a good 200-270 size machine and I came across a 05 Volvo EC 240BCL with just over 7,000 hours on it. Just wondering if there's any long term owner opertors on here that have had them or operators that have put a few hours in the seat. We have a Volvo L90C wheel loader so I'm aware allready of some of the crazy overpriced parts for them. Really do like the machine otherwise though. So far we haven't had to buy many parts so that's been the plus side. A 65.00 dipstick for the drop box kind of made us look twice though.lol.. Plastic ring with about 6 to 8 inches of length to it. Searched threw and found a few referances to them but most were for the larger machines. Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks Ryan
Hi pf/l, I used to work for a Volvo dealer and the biggest problems we had with 240s are leaking control valves, blown couplings, leaking cylinders and worn sprockets. If all of those things look good, you shouldn't have any problems with it.
totally agree^ Spent alot of time in and fixing alot of machinery and my experience with the 2 x 240's Both 240B and 240C's we have are the drive motors. As long as your final drives are in good condition you know it's been looked after. Apart from that our 240B has 9,000Hours on it and is a brilliant machine. I would buy Volvo with confidence. Good luck.
Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't seen this machine yet as it's about 500 miles away but from the pictures it looks clean. We all know pictures can hide a thousand things though.lol.. Attention to detail was pretty high on our Volvo L90C so hopefully that carries over to the excavators as well. Thanks Ryan
Since your in Sask call Redhead in saskatoon talk to Brian Shevchuck I know they have lots of 210bs and a couple 290bs for sale. I have always had good luckm with my 210 ans 290C models. Hey is that 240B your looking at the one in alberta for 59,900? if so stay away we went and looked at it came off a pipeline company no maintaince was done then rental company bought it rented it for past 2 years and now mtrying to sell it.
We know Brian but haven't talked to him in a while. Used to deal with Chuck Myles quite a bit then when the built the new building he got his own teritory. Did quite a bit of Dealing with GeorgeBlair when he was there but he retired and the new guy hardly ever stops by. Going to be in the next week or so though so I'll go and see if I can catch Brian and see what all they have. Have to take some parts back to Korpan anyways. Sounds like the same one. They figured it was a pipeline machine but they had no service records for it. Pipeline kind of raised a bit of a red flag for me but it looked pretty good in the pictures so thought it might be worth a shot. Did you look at the 200 Deere that they have at all? They were both at Coaldale Ab. Thanks for replying Matt_H Ryan