Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo F727 with TD70F engine- smokes on start

Oldboy ยท 2019-09-09 23:24

Hello, I have acquired an F727 Volvo 6 x 4 water truck. It starts easily and runs well. Built in 1980 + or thereabouts, fitted with TD70F engine. When left overnight and started, it blows an incredible amount of smoke. This settles and goes away after the engine has been warmed up properly. It is a whitish colour and doesn't have a strong smell, but I would say more oily smell than unburnt diesel smell. Is there any easy remedy for this problem or should we just ignore it? thanks Michael.

Replies3
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-09-10 06:14

    "Sounds like" dripping injector nozzles.. I'd get the injectors checked/rebuilt..

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-09-10 06:29

    Does it have a little knock when you start it, that goes away as it warms? Does it fire and run smooth but smokey? If, as you say, it's more oil than fuel smelling, I'd pull the exhaust manifold and look at your valve stems. If you see "wet" stems or a port just wet with oil, you may wanna recondition the head. Have you tried using the preheater? Does this change the smoke?

  3. #3Nige2019-09-10 07:14

    Have you checked to see if you are losing any coolant..?