Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo g746b hydraulic issues

Catbelco ยท 2019-01-25 23:58

Hi. I have a 2003 Volvo g746b that has had several hydraulic problems. Starting with losing all hydraulic functions. Local Volvo came out said pump was bad. Replaced pump and everything worked for a short time only to lose it again which led to being pulled home with engine idling due to wanting to overheat since hydraulic cooling fan was not working. Got it home and hydraulic functions came back on. So pump couldn't have been original problem? Other problem dealing with is losing power steering and regaining it if I shut down engine and restart it. Works for short time then lose it again. does help if I run a blade lever which helps to steer easier Volvo replaced priority vlave with no luck. Any suggestions short of trading for a cat would be great. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1dallou2019-01-28 23:15

    this has happened to me. found a valve under cab. hard to get at but there is a ball in that valve that was staying stuck off and on which caused the exact same problems you are having. i only found this after taking complete spool for controls in to get rebuilt which was a very costly bill for nothing.

  2. #2Catbelco2019-01-28 23:56

    Can you lead me in the right direction to find that valve you are talking about? I am at wits end with this machine so I will try anything. Thanks in advance

  3. #3Vetech632019-01-29 07:16

    I'm going with "trade for CAT". LOL

  4. #4dallou2019-01-31 01:24

    Hey there again. If you take off the trans guard and go up in front of the transmission it's a tight spot and look in and forward a bit it rite in front of you you can take it apart on the machine. Another issue I had was the pipe comimg from the hydraulic tank to the pump there is a ange on both ends. The flange on one end was cracked changed the pipe and rubbers and clamps. Solved a problem there to.

  5. #5Catbelco2019-01-31 08:21

    Thanks for the info