Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L120E transmission

oz2255 ยท 2010-02-16 20:15

Has anybody had problems with Vovo L120E transmissions disengaging and engaging while working the machine? Display is showing normal transmission pressure. The machine starts out fine and starts acting up after about a half hour of working. Fluid level is fine and the filter has been changed. Help!

Replies3
  1. #1wildhorse trnr2010-02-16 20:23

    Have you verified pressures including lube after it is warmed up? Also, leave the guages connected while operating and check for pressure spik/drop during diengagement. I had 1 do this last summer but it also had some electrical issues and needed a mode selector switch.

  2. #2oz22552010-02-16 20:43

    What kind of electrical issues, Coils, relays, rubbed through wires?

  3. #3wildhorse trnr2010-02-16 21:04

    On the mounting bracket for the wiring harness(on the transmission), the harness had been "twisted" in such a manner that it had begun rubbing against the side of the transmission as it went to the solenoids. I repaired the rub spots, straightened the wires and resecured them, then replaced the selector switch. After 1/2 hour of no problems I returned it to the operator and waited another 1/2 hour, I have not had to go back yet. On another unit at the same plant, I had 1 that was moving only a few feet then stopping and giving a low pressure warning, I verified with a manual guage(best for transmission work as you can watch for needle bounce if you have a clutch pack problem), I was getting only 8-11 psi of lube pressure, VOLVO warranted the unit and that was the resolution to the problem on that unit.