Hi folks, I've a 2015 Volvo L180H shovel here, low enough hours, good condition and doesn't get much use or abuse I noticed my weight indicator started showing a battery symbol which I hadn't seen before and I see when checking the battery / charge readout on the dash panel itself, it's showing 29 to 30 volts. It remains fluctuating between 29 and 30 volts regardless of rev on the engine or what lights or functions might be powered on or off. It seems if it stays above 30 volts for a time, it lights the battery warning on the dash also I've had a quick look this evening under the hood. The alternator is clean and looks in good condition as are the cables leaving it. Before I take her into the workshop, has anyone seen this high charge fault on a newer series Volvo shovel before? I'm hoping at most it might be a faulty regulator as opposed to a bad alternator but I'm not sure this newer model had the bolt on regulator like the older machines
Do you have a multimeter? If you do Touch the Alternator Output Terminal with your Red Test lead and your Black test lead on the center of the Negative post ( Post with cable going to frame or Engine Block) The motor should be revved up a fair amount with some lights on and fan on to force alternator to put out. What Does the meter in DC Volt setting read? Do the same test but put your Meter in AC volts and put the Red test lead on the same Alternator Output Terminal and touch the Black Test Lead on the center of the Negative Battery ( Same as above ) post with lights and fan on. How much does it read in AC volts. Put the Meter in DC Volts and touch the Red Test lead on the Alternator Output terminal with engine revved and Lights and Fan on. Put the Black test lead on the Center of the 24 volt output Red Battery Output Terminal. Take a picture of these instructions so you don't get anything wrong and bring with you. Lets test these things first and see what the results are before more tests. Simon C
You may have some control problems also, but lets start with these tests first before we move on. Does you alternator have only the 1 connection or is there a small plug with little control wires also. Simon C