Hello everyone My company has a 2004 Volvo L220E that is overfull in the crankcase . the operator has been having to add hydraulic oil about every two weeks. when we checked it last it had a addition 3 gallons we drained out . the dipstick doesn't smell of fuel so it definitely isn't that .also when you look at the oil it's really thin and actually drips off the end, so hydraulic oil is getting in somehow. anyone ever had this issue?? we are puzzled on where to start looking.I know that the radiator fan is hydraulic driven. maybe the main pump seal is bad?? Any help would be appreciated.
I'll start by saying I know zip about anything Volvo. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I would get an oil sample and confirm there isn't diesel in there first. I'd look over the machine and see if there are any hydraulic pumps driven off the engine. If there are, a leaking pump shaft seal may be your issue.
Pumps are driven off the trans under the floor. That's gonna be fuel, if anything. Lift pump is driven off flywheel housing. So, it could be injectors or the lift pump.
Stop by new members introduction, tell us a little about what you do and what you're up to.
As FWF said there is no place for Hyd. oil to interact with the engine. If you are gaining oil, someone is introducing it or it is fuel. On a very rare occasion I have seen cracked torque converters push transmission oil past the crank seal but that is very rare and I don't recall an E series doing that. Get an oil analysis done and verify that first.
As FWF mentioned, there was an issue with the injectors and diesel getting into the engine oil, check your injector part numbers old number 20847327 replaced by 22172535. I would also have the oil analysis done just to confirm what the contaminant is, or that someone is adding engine oil?