hey there! I recently had the chance to take a proper look at Volvos biggest loader, the L350F, and took some photos: What caught my attention was that it is still equipped with a steering wheel. I don't really get that, I mean all big machines from Komatsu or CAT are delivered just with the Joystick Control, why is Volvo still hanging on to the steering wheel? Or do still so many people prefer the steering wheel? Your thoughts about this? best regards, Joe
its because the owner didn`t ask for the CDC option. Even with CDC installed , your still gonna have the steering wheel, and probably Volvo will always keep the steering wheel for safety purpose...
Comfort Drive Control is an option on almost every Volvo, at least from L60 on up. Why doesn't Cat offer this (can't get joystick steering on small machines and when you can get it, you can't have a steering wheel too)? Why doesn't Cat offer fingertip controls for the loader on their smaller units (have to get a joystick)? The world may never know. From what I have heard, Volvo keeps the steering wheel for safety/stability on the road or at high speeds. It't not likely you would road an L350F, and their top speed is 24mph, but the smaller Volvo's will do 30+ and a steering wheel is much nicer when on the road at that speed. Having the steering wheel there may be annoying visually, but physically unless you are north of 400lbs it shouldn't be in the way.