Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L40

Gilmore26 · 2024-04-26 15:55

Hey guys, trying to get some help with my Volvo L 40 loader. It’s an early 2001 model the only thing that functions currently is the engine in the steering no drive no loader.

Replies9
  1. #1cuttin edge2024-04-27 16:31

    Is it new to you, or have you had it for a while. Our L45 has a lot of switches and knobs that will disable hydraulic functions

  2. #2funwithfuel2024-04-27 17:19

    Check your brake pedal, make sure nothing is impeding it's travel up or down. Lube the pivots and work it by hand till it's really free. The inching pedal is the number one cause of "no travel" after NO OIL! Good luck

  3. #3cuttin edge2024-04-27 19:46

    He has no hydraulics besides steering. Our L45 has an e stop button that kills everything, can't remember if it kills steering or not. There is a rocker switch on the right post that kills hydraulics. There is a dial that turns travel speed down, and a dial to slow aux feed

  4. #4funwithfuel2024-04-27 20:48

    Can you include your actual model & serial? Work hydraulics is a variable displacement pump as is the HST pump. Separate animals and the steering us a separate pump on its own.

  5. #5Gilmore262024-04-28 09:37

    I will we had the ECU and dashboard rebuilt. I had a mechanic in town working on it to no resolve. I have a back in my possession. Now it’s an older model when I towed at home it started and steered now the only function I can hear is the fuel solenoid, I will get a picture of the product ID tag. Thank you.

  6. #6funwithfuel2024-04-28 10:42

    So, to be clear, you've upgraded from original electronics to ECU II with the new instrument panel? Do you know if the harness between the 2 was replaced as well? Every time someone performs this conversion, they run into trouble. I believe there should be instructions included with the conversion explaining how to "program" the new ECU/ICU to teach it it's new identity. There should also have been a step which describes "clipping" a wire or removing it. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to those particular documents. But we can reverse engineer it, itlljust take time.

  7. #7Gilmore262024-04-28 10:45

    I can do more digging and find out what the rebuild company did but I don’t believe that it got upgraded. If there’s any other pictures I can send you or identifiers. Let me know. I really appreciate your help.

  8. #8funwithfuel2024-05-01 06:29

    Unfortunately, Prosis has no supporting information on the straight L40. That said, I don't recall any significant differences between the straight and early B series. I hope the attachments will be helpful.

  9. #9funwithfuel2024-05-01 06:30

    What I've attached, I believe is what would be most helpful, if at all. Good luck