Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L50 lift seals

martin mccreesh ยท 2021-04-11 16:21

Have to replace lift seals on an 87 L50. Pin holding ram will not budge tried heat and jack so have cut the pin on the first ram and will drill out the stubs. Wondering if in the other side I could simply loosen the ram collar and lift the boom high enough with a pulley block to allow the piston out of the cylinder? has anyone changed these seals - anything I need to watch out for. I have a seal kit with multiple colours so not quite sure what goes where until I have it all out.

Replies6
  1. #1Volvomad2021-04-11 17:48

    The pin should have M24 or 30 internal thread .remove grease nipple+ extension pipe. Get some 8.8 grade threaded bar some nuts ,plates and make something to bridge over the pin and lots of oil. Pull the pin by the head prefferably with a flogging spanner, and if necessary get someone to beat it from the other side at the same time .Heat the arm bosses if needed

  2. #2BigWrench552021-04-11 18:34

    If you have access to a hollow ram press that would be ideal. As I get older I don't want to swing a hammer more than I absolutely have to.

  3. #3funwithfuel2021-04-11 19:35

    That's an old girl, Michigan vintage. The best way to deal with seized pins is a lancing tool. I, like Paul, don't like swinging hammers any more than necessary. I agree , a bearing puller T-bar with a hollow cylinder ram is the way to go. What you're showing there is not going to move without converting it to a puddle. Odds are, those pins were causing the leaks by binding the pins which in turn stressed and flexed the rods. Make sure your pistons have not scuffed the bores and that the rods are true.

  4. #4Volvomad2021-04-12 17:39

    Anyone want to give me a late birthday present , a hollow cylinder is top of my list

  5. #5BigWrench552021-04-12 18:57

    My birthday is next month. I would like one also if you are feeling generous.

  6. #6martin mccreesh2021-04-13 14:01

    Pins were free in the top of the ram and just popped out when I cut it and pin was taking grease- the machine was lying up for 4 years which possibly contributed to the leaking seals. Going to try the threaded bar on the other side before i resort to cutting there also. I dont have hollow cylinder but maybe see can I borrow one. Thanks for advise will post when i get back to it.