Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L70 fuel issue

sllimec47 ยท 2025-11-27 10:35

Out of the blue my loader had alack of power and a skip at idle. It would rev up with a lot of smoke. I changed all the filters, cleaned out the separator with no change. I opened bleeder at the filter housing and it seemed to have air bubbles. When I pushed the primmer pump it leaked so I replaced it thinking it might be letting air in, no change. I replaced all the rubber suction lines to the tank. After cleaning bowl I noticed water in it so I drained and replaced fuel. The air seemed to go away but it still started hard, skipped and smoked no power. when cracking lines at injectors I got good fuel mist out of 3 injectors but number three just dribbled out. Thinking maybe in injector problem I swapped number 2 and 3 inj. Now I can't get fuel out of the pump at all, I even hooked an elec pump direct from the tank into the injector pump but can't get fuel up to the injectors. Could the pump be air bound or might the shut off be stuck? Is there a way to bleed the pump or can the shut off be serviced with out removing the pump? Any input would be appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1funwithfuel2025-11-27 20:35

    L70? C,D or straight? What's your primer pump look and feel like? Is it slobbering fuel? What pressure do you have inside the pump? Should fall between 45 & 60 near abouts. You serviced the separator? The one held together like a jenga puzzle and a single screw? Help us help you. Lots of key info missing. Pics help too. Good luck

  2. #2sllimec472025-11-27 21:52

    Straight L70, New primer pump (was leaking when pressed) Yes, the single screw jenga separator. I haven't checked the pump pressure. Where is a good place to check it?

  3. #3funwithfuel2025-11-27 21:56

    T into the line going into the pump body from the lift pump. You might have to drill and tap the banjo screw for a gauge, then just plug when you're done. Before that, bypass the water separator and run off a clean separate source of fuel. (5 gal bucket of clean fuel) those separators are known headaches.

  4. #4funwithfuel2025-11-27 21:57

    Is the shut-off solenoid actuating when you hit crank position? Or do you have the shut-off cable fitted?

  5. #5sllimec472025-11-27 22:01

    I ran an electric fuel pump direct into the injector pump bypassing all the filters and separator. I pulled the return line restrictor fitting with fuel running out but I still cant get any fuel out of the pump to the injectors

  6. #6sllimec472025-11-27 22:03

    It has a mechanical shut off. It almost feels like the arm isn't connected to anything but I've never paid close attention to it before

  7. #7funwithfuel2025-11-27 22:10

    I doubt the electric pump is pushing more than 10 to 15 psi. Shouldn't be blowing past the fuel pressure regulator. The regulator is the screw opposite the inlet that goes through the return line. There's a spring and ball in there to maintain pump pressure which contributes toward injection pressure. Think of it as low side/ high side in air conditioning.

  8. #8sllimec472025-11-28 08:09

    That makes sense. So I removed the fitting with the check valve to see fuel running out the return then re installed. You're thinking the electric pump is not making enough pressure?

  9. #9funwithfuel2025-11-28 08:12

    Im thinking the pressure regulator is week, possibly not maintaining sufficient pressure.

  10. #10sllimec472025-11-28 08:16

    so that's where checking the pump pressure comes in

  11. #11sllimec472025-11-28 08:16

    or pump inlet pressure