Hi I've got an L70 (around 1990) I think. She's a great loader. I've also got a Volvo LM846 (had her since new in 1978). I've also just sold a Volvo 622. Granted the machines are old, but I'm Volvo all the way. Very rarely I have problems with them. I've had the L70 for about 3 years now. She'd been well looked after. New pins and bushes, new tilt and lifting seals etc. For the past six months its developed an intermittent transmission fault. I don't know to much about the gearbox but its electronic, I think they call it "power shift". When you move the gearstick forward or backwards (forward or reverse) sometimes it hesitates to engage. It's definitely an electronic fault as you can hear a relay clicking when it eventually does move. I'm not sure if its the gear selector stick or maybe a relay sticking somewhere. If you move the stick into forward or reverse it still won't engage until its ready. When your in reverse and it won't engage, the relay clicks at the same time the reverse beepers come on so its definitely electronically. It's really hard to explain, but I didn't know if anyone else had come across this problem. I'd imagine all L series around that age, 90, 120, 150 etc have the same kind of transmission. Any help or just a pointer would be great fully appreciated. I spoke to a Volvo Construction mechanic once who told me to swap relays about but I haven't got a clue where to start. All the best Karl
behind the seat of the volvo machines is a huge cluster of fuses and relays. Get yourself a manual for the machine and it will tell you exactly what each relay is for. try swapping a relay with another one which isnt being used at that time and see if your problem goes away. I just had a starting problem with my l180 and it was the relay.
A friend had an L120 of about the same vintage which would stop moving. He would shut it off and then start it up again and it might go for 30 seconds or maybe two minutes. He tried everything. Turned out it was the suction screen in the transmission sump. We dropped the oil, cleaned the screen and he hasn't had a minute's trouble with it since. The dealer had told him it had to be an electrical problem. Just something to consider. Brent
Thanks for both replying. I've looked at the fuse and relay box and swapped the powershift relay with the reverse beeper but it still does it. According to the book you can also open up the powershift brain and swap the plugs around to disengage auto (so the box drives like a manual), but I don't think that would eliminate my fault. Claydigger, I've seen this is my operators manual. They call it the "suction strainer". Was it blocked on the L120? I've never changed the oil since I've owned her.
Suction strainer is the baby I cleaned. It had bits of plastic and probably some clutch pack lining material after 14,000 hrs.
dont't know if your loader as it, but you can jump all the electronic panel behind the seat just by unplug the main ECM connector that goes to the electronic panel. If I remember right its the CU connector. you will know by now if the trouble is your electronic board (often see)
Thanks for your reply both. Clay Digger, I'm going to drop the transmission sump as soon as I get my BM846 running again (in bits waiting for tilt ram seals), I'll let you know what I find. Is it a pressure fault which engages neutral when the sump strainer is blocked? Can't understand how that would work engage a neutral but I will check it. Steve, I can't find anything behind the seat. Above the throttle pedal is an electric box. There's a relay in there for the transmission. The problem has got worse lately. Once the gear lever is in forward it takes around 10 secs to move. It tends to do it more when it's warm though. If I put my finger on the transmission relay and engage gear, the relay only clicks in when its decided to move, not when you engage gear. This is leading me to more to suspect its the gear shuttle lever. But as it does it in both forward and reverse I still have my doubts. Gear 4 should be auto (1,2,3 then 4). But when you select 4, it pulls in fourth. Reading the operators manual you can disengage auto by changing wiring plugs in the power transmission box. I'm wondering if this has already been done. There's six screws that hold the front on but the middle two are riveted in.
Hi Karl, I'd say with a delay it is most likely to be an oil starvation! I,E the strain filter in the sump may be blocked! Does it go into gear every time? If so it don't sound electric! as the forward reverse lever normally just stops! Il see if i can find out some more info! on the electric side for you! Aiden
Hi Aiden, thanks for your reply. Half the time she'll behave herself and the other half she won't. It's in both forward and reverse (which leads me to think it's not the shuttle lever). I've also rolled up the rubber dust seal on the switch and whilst in neutral, engaged both forward and reverse micro switches and she still doesn'r respond if she's playing up. I think it could be the strainer (as suggested earlier) as it seems that when the machine is warm it does it more. I just would have thought that once the lever is moved, the relay should click instantly. If the filter is blocked I don't understand how it can tell the relay to click off (unless its a safety feature of course to save the box). Clean strainer, hydraulic oil filter and oil change is on my list of things to do (once I get a sump gasket). But at the moment my other machine (an 846) has a tilt ram removed waiting to be resealed (PROSIS don't list the machine anymore so it's guess work as to getting the right pattern seal kit) I've got to get that one running before I take this one to bits.
Today the fault has been worse than ever. Literally no forward drive. I had to do something. I drained the gear box oil and dropped the sump ready to clean the strainer as previously suggested. The oil was like new. I cleaned the container out I caught the oil in to check for debris. There was nothing, a tiny bit of swarf but nothing I'm concerned about. I put the sump back up with some silicon on the gasket and put the oil I drained out back in. I know that's wrong but the gasket and oil isn't in stock and I need the machine tomorrow. Started her back up, no leaks. I will change the hydraulic oil and filter soon. With the fault still present, I opened the door to the fuse box and noticed that when in reverse the red LED lights up on the powershift box. Put it in forward and she doesn't. I then started to play with the forward reverse gear lever (shuttle) and noticed that when in forward the LED was flickering. I then sort of twisted the gear lever in every way possible and found that it engaged forward gear when the stick was manipulated. So I'm fairly sure it's the stick. I'll see how she performs tomorrow. I think I can drive her knowing what I know now until I can get the gear lever. There's one in stock at Volvo for around £275 so I'll get it ordered up tomorrow. Took some photos with the sump off so thought I'd share them with you.
Yea its sounding like a lever ok! i may have a s/h one but wont be able to check until the morning if that suits! Aiden
Hi Aiden. Many thanks for the offer but I've just bought one. It should come tomorrow a long with the seals for my ram. It was hard work and frustrating but I managed to use the loader all day. I don't think it will last much longer before she packs up completely. I've traced the wiring to behind the fuse box. Not sure whether to cut and rejoin the loom or disconnect the wires from the multi plugs? I think I'll wait until it comes and decide then. Would you know what oil should go in the gearbox Aiden? My service book says HTF C3 which means nothing to me or Volvo or my local suppliers. It's a red hydraulic oil in it, I'd almost say ATF oil but I can't be certain.
The new gear lever came today. I fitted it this afternoon and the problem appears to be solved. I will work her tomorrow and keep a close eye on her but hopefully, thats sorted it. The wiring loom was alot shorter on the new one. The multiplug on the end was different but the wire colours were the same so I cut, extended and rejoined them. I've got a green wire left over as the new switch didn't have one. Hasn't made any difference so it can't be that important. Will report back tomorrow after shes done a full days work!
Glad it sorted your problem Karl! Should be fine now! As for the transmission oil, ATF will be fine! it may of had 10w oil in it before but Volvo started to use ATF a good few years ago! Aiden
Thanks very much for you help Aiden. I'm doing the gearbox oil along with the filter next week. By the way, do you know much about changing seals on tilt and lift cylinders? Currently doing my 846. New seals are on but it's bloody tight over the rod.