Hi all Just noticed yesterday my L70 is leaking oil behind the brake disc on the front left wheel. Don't have much experience with these. I'll post a pic tomorrow, just wanted an opinion and how easy a job it is to do. Obviously I can put the bucket down to lift her up and get the wheel, caliper off etc, but don't want to start taking the hub to bits and getting out of my depth.
Don't know about volvo , but we have frequently the problem on CAT 950H working in waste , if you take of the wheel you may find some nylon wires at the end of the shaft , just be patient and take the wires off .
Thanks Paul, I take it this is the waste itself spinning round the hub? Our shovel is used in a builders yard. It all looks OK. Have noticed recently theres a noise coming from the front end somewhere. It seems to be transmission based. When you go forward it's like a rattle. I don't think its a vibration. We have taken off all wings and inspection hatches to eliminate this. I think it's coming from the left front wheel, IE the hub (the oil leak previously mentioned hasn't got worse, more a smear of oil occasionally). It doesn't sound like something has broken internally. It only does it though when going forward, going backwards, nothing at all. The prop all seems OK, just been greased to on inspection. I will upload a video tomorrow of it. Not a lot to go on. Perhaps drain the hub and diff oils and check for debris? Cheers Karl
Kmbrad is it an L70 or L70B,C,D,E,F I may be able to help you a little, how long has it been leaking? the leak is probably the hub seal the noise could be running it running dry if it's been leaking a long while.
Hi sfrs4, thank you for your reply. I took a video of it over the weekend. http://youtu.be/b2CoG-msQ1w
Sorry, it's an L70 (year 91ish). The first L70 they built. Only noticed it leaking recently. We have a slow puncture on that corner that's how I noticed. Both fronts are wet now around the tyres. Will check levels tomorrow. Oil ok in front diff, checked that yesterday.
Hi, I've sent you an email, through the message board, the oil leak is more than likely going to be the hub seal, the noise(and I hope I'm wrong) sound like something come adrift in the hub end, if it's got in with the planet gears and sun gear it's not good news!
if you pull the planet carrier of the hub, you'll get a good idea of what has happened, undo the circle of bolts and then use the three or four threaded holes to wind bolts back against the hub to pull the planet carrier away, then you'll be able to see what has happened in there (bearing failed, half shaft snapped, debris in the gears etc)
Thanks for coming back, I appreciate it. We're quite mechanically sound but I'm reluctant to start undoing her incase I end up not being able to put her back together. So I'm assuming leave the wheel on, undo the circle of bolts and then take the cover of the hub off. Will that be enough to see what your talking about? Cheers
Thanks for coming back, I appreciate it. We're quite mechanically sound but I'm reluctant to start undoing her incase I end up not being able to put her back together. So I'm assuming leave the wheel on, undo the circle of bolts and then take the cover of the hub off. Will that be enough to see what your talking about? Cheers
http://s10.postimg.org/h0vn6dygp/Full_Size_Render1.jpg http://s15.postimg.org/y0zdo885n/Full_Size_Render.jpg
I can see what you mean now. Theres me calling the planet carrier the "cover". Glad I got the parts book translating things for me.
that's the exact picture I was going to send you once you get the planet carrier out you should be able to see any damage, unless it is the bearing, which is wheel off and hub off. where are you based?
Yeah I've got the parts book which is a god send. I'm down in Bedfordshire, our nearest Volvece is in Duxford, not to far away. I can't stand the loader until Saturday as it's in light use. That saying I don't want to do any more damage but it seems OK. When I put the bucket down to lift the front end up, I put a bar in the wheels and both fronts had a slight bit of up down movement. I drive the loader all the time and it seems to be free wheeling a bit. Hard to explain but something I've noticed recently. The other thing I was going to ask, is there a diff lock in the machine. I can't find one anywhere, wasn't sure if they were an optional extra at that age.
it should have a diff lock but for my life I can't locate it, there should be a raised cover on the top of the front axle under there is the diff lock.
Just an update. Had a guy from Volvo have a look earlier. Says it's the diff lock rattling around, more noise than dangerous so we'll put up with it.
Hi Karl, only just catching this now! Check the brake calapiers for leckage also a lose brake pad could be causing the noise! That is of course if its not the hub seal leaking! Aiden
Vital information . Is it hydraulic or gear oil ? Had a hub seal leaking on our L70 3 weeks ago . Sqeezed the wheel bearing . End of leak.
Karl, "more noise, than Dangerous" I would be nervous of a fitter that says that about the inside workings of a diff assembly, for it to be making that much noise, there are two chunks of metal smashing against each other, eventually one will give in and spit its bits in to the diff assembly it's self, at this point if you lucky, it'll just lock up the pinion and crown wheel, but I doubt you'll be that lucky, at best a new crown wheel and pinion, at worst drive gear set and diff housings, if your Volvo man is right and it's the diff lock, it could be as simple as the return spring under the cap is broken so the dog gears are clashing.
Nearly two years ago since I started this thread. Haven't done it yet. Stilll leaking, getting progressively worse. Oil levels in hubs and axle ok, haven't topped them up at all since noticed leak. It's definitely gear oil so that's ruled out a caliper leaking. So, here's the big question. Need a step through on how to do the seals. Any one able to help? Cheers