Hello,is there anywhere I can find a list of these? Tia Eulb
Your best bet is to buy a service manual from the dealer.
I bought a copy of prosis but unfortunately it only lists part numbers. Fault codes I'm getting are Sid 42-5 Pid 97-14 Pid 97-11 Pid 97-0 Pid 97-7 Pid 164-2 All rail pressure related I'm sure
Yes if these are Mid 128 and if they are PSID 97 instead of PID 9797, They are fuel related. Are the codes active or are they stored codes? I expect you have problems with the fuel control valve(FCV) or the harness that goes to it. If the fuel rail pressure release valve has been opened for any length of time you will need to replace that with the kit
Codes seem to be active as they clear once it's stopped. It had a new rail over pressure valve about a month ago. Been told it's my injectors worn and excessively leaking,are the injectors coded?
If they replaced the relief valve they should have replaced the sensor too. Make sure they did. Usually worn injectors cause PSID96 codes which are for low rail pressure. PSID97 is high rail pressure which is usually due to a sticking FCV, bad sensor or harness. Has anyone checked fuel return flow from the injectors?
Been a while, I thought 128-96 was low pressure side(lift pump up to fcv) and 128-97 was for high side (fcv, high psi pumps, injectors, rail etc) depending on the fmi Injectors are "coded" they have trim codes. That said, it's for refined calibration, not getting it to run right. As BW stated, the overflow valve has a very short lifetime. I think it can only be off seat for 200 seconds or so. How does it run on start up? How long before it codes and defaults to1200 rpm? Worse when cold, hot? As also brought up by BW measure return off cylinder head into measured container. Do not grab return fuel going back to tank from fcv, that's total return. You're only interested in off the head. That is what will tell you the injectors are shooting through and bleeding rail back to tank.
Also , there was a service bulletin regarding an additional flow check at the return passage,that was typically for hard start though.
PSID96 is for fuel rail pressure, PSID97 is for rail pressure relief valve. Usually meaning the the rail pressure has gone too high and opened the relief valve.
Thanks for your replies seems I'm getting somewhere now,rail sensor wasn't changed at same time as relief valve ,I bought one but never fitted it as it was running fine (I now know why they are sold together) Removed the solenoid off the Fcv today to check it was working when powered,it seems fine. I've been waiting for a chap with vcad and his laptop for the last week,hopefully he'll come this week I'd like to check the leak back on the injectors for piece of mind,I know no history of the machine and to say it's been abused is an understatement. Cheers Eulb...
Just reading your post again and I presume you measure leak off from the return pipe before it gets to the Fcv? Do you have a leak back figure? Is it time for 30sec at tick over? Machine seems to run better when I release pressure from rail by slackening an injector pipe,I've never checked for voltage at the Fcv what should I be looking for? 5volts?
PWM valve on top of FCV is variable. .5- 4.5volts Computer calculates load based on throttle position against everything. Lower dwell equates to full rail ie. Excess of 18000 psi. Never. Never-ever open or crack lines loose with the engine running. The raised rail pressure can easily penetrate your skin. Bad stuff will happen in short order if that occurs. I am not trying to scare you, but to teach respect. This can cause serious injury or death. OK rant over. On the bottom left of the tank plate. There is a 3 screw cover. Pull that down carefully. Clamped to the plate is a hose with a plug in the end. Carefully loosen that over a clean bucket. Your looking for water. The one thing these rail systems will not tolerate is water intrusion. It will etch the faces of the high pressure pumps. In the meantime, while waiting for your bud with techtool buy a fuel pipe and a couple ball bearings for blocking off a tier IV i burner. You'll need them for safe testing. PM me and I will explain how I did it using techtool. You can measure high psi pumps output, rail psi, and influence of individual injectors SAFELY. I'm not trying to be a Jag, I just don't want anyone getting hurt. Going back to basics. Step1 did you check the lift pump? Is the pulley slipping under the belt? Is the pulley wobbly in the pump? Take your finger and wipe the back of the pulley. Does the dirt smell of fuel? Step 2 fuel water separator, is the bowl tight? Are all the banjo screws tight and leak free? Is there unobstructed fuel from the tank to the filter head? Step 3 have the filters been serviced at all? Can you drill and tap a banjo screw to the secondary filter to gauge actual fuel pressure? For tier III I'm pretty sure we should be north of 65 psi. Probably closer to 80. Beyond that we're going to need techtool for safety reasons
Before you tear into anything when does the problem occur? Is it right after the engine starts or after you let off the throttle from from a heavy loaded condition or is it intermittent with no common indicators?
Well my man and laptop turned up,hooked it up and the rail pressure was all over the place. He started by checking for continuity to the Fcv,as soon as he pushed into the Bosch plug on the Fcv he said this doesn't seem right,there was a bad connection in the plug,previous owner had spliced into the wires before the plug and we had been taking multi meter readings from here and hadn't checked at the plug. We by-passed the plug and she fired up and ran like a Swiss watch (y) now I need to sort the brakes another head scratching problem.
Glad you got it figured out. PSID97 is usually a problem with the harness/sensor or the FCV sticking. Now don't forget to install the new sensor and in reality it would be best to just buy a new kit and install a new relief valve as well. As I stated they are only good for running open for a short while before they should be replaced
Same machine,more diesel problems. Psid:96-12 And now getting Pid:94-7 Machine would run without a problem then a couple a days a week we'd get the 96-12 appear,I'm sure it's wiring related.
94-7 = feed pressure valid but below spec, are your filters clean and tight? Drive belt slipping?
Had a new belt drive pump last year,never thought to check tension on belt,will do now. Filters clean and tight,what would cause 96-12?
Must have been a blocked pickup pipe in the tank,seems to be back to normal,I'll watch for the codes.
Machines been parked up while we got the boom line bored,for some reason I’m getting an error Psid 96-1,if I keep the revs up I don’t get the error,it only comes when I let the engine tick over.
Low rail pressure, change fuel filters if you haven't already.
Possibility of fuel bug with being sat? I’ll change the filters and report back.
Changed filters,added some stanadyne additive to the fuel,still coming up with psid 96-1 at tick over,doesn’t do it if you keep the revs up only when you let it tick over.
Read this forum. I believe this excavator has the same engine as your loader. There isn't a conclusion,but it's a start on what could be wrong with your fuel system. HeavyEquipmentForums
Think my problem was tank related,ran the engine off a drum mounted on the side and no errors,cleaned the tank out (didn’t find anything) running from the tank fine now. I’ve got to say this must be the most fickle engine I’ve ever had,the slightest thing sets off an error code.
The tank is really not that bad to remove. A guy could probably get it down, wash it out and reinstall it before dinner. The sloped belly pan is the biggest challenge. Good luck.