Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L90E harsh shifting

Tom Sticpewich · 2021-06-18 20:26

Hi guys. I have a Volvo L90E here which has harsh shifting between gears especially 1st - 2nd I have a manual I down loaded but the procedure for check the pressures is a bit light on for details and it has no specs. but I managed to check the main pressure and I got 275psi then I checked lube pressure and I got 25psi then I checked converter pressure and I got 65psi. I’m not sure if any of this is in spec or not and when I checked the clutch pressures following the manual I got 1st - 150psi 2nd - 200psi 3rd - 0psi 4th - 0psi Can anybody help me figure out what this all means?

Replies17
  1. #1funwithfuel2021-06-18 21:15

    Lets start with the simplest thing. On your lever carrier is a springy button on a rubber cushion by your horn button. Pull that switch up. Make sure it is not sticking. That's your manual kickdown. When it gets stuck, you start in first and don't shift till you tach out. Just like passing gear. You'll never reach 4th gear either. Let us know what you find.

  2. #2funwithfuel2021-06-18 21:15

    Those pressures look good BTW.

  3. #3Tom Sticpewich2021-06-18 21:24

    Looks ok mate and 4th gear works

  4. #4funwithfuel2021-06-18 21:26

    To the right of the instrument panel is the APS switch, what is it set on?

  5. #5Tom Sticpewich2021-06-18 21:42

    All the writing is worn off it but I put it on manual as per the procedure

  6. #6funwithfuel2021-06-18 21:47

    From left to right it should be man_1,2,3 for the softest shift you want the lowest setting. Think of it like an electronic adjustment for your kickdown linkage.

  7. #7Tom Sticpewich2021-06-18 21:52

    Ok so setting number 1 = softest setting?

  8. #8funwithfuel2021-06-18 21:57

    Yes, should shift earlier and softer

  9. #9Tom Sticpewich2021-06-18 22:00

    Ok I’ll finish up changing these solenoid o rings and I’ll try it out

  10. #10Tom Sticpewich2021-06-19 01:05

    Ok done so it doesn’t seam to make any difference what setting I have that APS thing on it doesn’t change anything

  11. #11funwithfuel2021-06-19 06:31

    I'll find the schematic for the kickdown button. I'm thinking that we have a short. At what RPM does it shift? Is it a harsh shift across the board or just 1-2. Watch the display panel, it says what gear you're in and what gear you've pre-selected. What gear are you starting out in? This is important.

  12. #12Tom Sticpewich2021-06-19 19:31

    1-2 is harsh but mostly harsh on all gear changes going down

  13. #13funwithfuel2021-06-19 19:32

    So its starting in 1st gear?

  14. #14Tom Sticpewich2021-06-19 19:37

    If I hit the kick down it will start in first otherwise always 2nd

  15. #15funwithfuel2021-06-19 21:09

    That's the way it should be. At what rpm is she shifting at? Are you seeing road speed? Are you seeing engine speed? If we lose one of the inputs, that could cause delayed shift.

  16. #16Tom Sticpewich2021-06-19 23:34

    Ok I’ll check it out next time I’m there I’m definitely getting ground speed

  17. #17funwithfuel2021-06-26 09:45

    Have you made any progress on this machine?