I'm currently in the process of replacing the seals on the tilt ram. We have owned this machine since new, some 35 years ago, and I know it's never had them done before. After hunting high and low for over a week, the new ones should be with me shortly. The guy at Volvo parts UK sent me a parts diagram of the ram to check it was the right one. http://imageshack.us/scaled/large/32/imagexhqw.jpg After a lot of hard work I got the nut undone. I hope the seals are right as the old ones have melted now. My ram is exactly the same, and part number 6 is like a rubber seal inbetween two spacers. I just wondered if you have to punch one half out to get the seal out? I'm sure thats the seal thats gone as the ram leaks from where the rod moves in and out. This is a patern seal kit so I'm not sure what I'm going to get in the box yet so want to make sure I have one first. Thanks
The seal kit is the correct one. Has anyone done cylinder seals before on a Volvo? I'm not sure on which way to fit the inner seal. It's so tight getting the seals over the piston.
#6 should have the open part of the "V" or the seal lip pointing into the cylinder to seal the oil. Since that looks like a two piece piston, I assume you mean the seals are tight to get over the rod? Do you have the lips pointing toward the outside of the cyinder? You can probably bevel the shoulder of the rod to make it go in without tearing, also use silicone grease or oil, rotate the rod as you push it, or you may have to get a piece machined to "ramp" up the seals. There are lots of theads about this.
Thanks for your reply. I couldn't get to the race properly as #6 seal was in the way. I got that out with a screw driver then knocked the race out. I'm not at work now, but i'm sure I fitted the new #6 seal with the V / lip facing down. I could start the seal better that way and it was easy to tap in. Yes, the seal is tight going over the rod. It pushed the race back out it was that tight. I've had a good look around but couldn't find any other threads on changing cylinder seals.
Ok, so back at work now and just wanted to double check this seal. or this way
If that's #6 it should go in the second way, the far bottom picture. But I'm not familiar with how that "race" works, maybe somebody who knows this volvo cylinder can confirm or refute me? Getting the "shoulder" on the rod through the seal is tough, and you don't want to force it in. It will be hard work, just don't use a sledge hammer of worse.
Thanks Delmer. I reffited the seal this morning as per the bottom picture. It went in nice and square. The race then taps in over the top of the seal and then you screw in #7 (as per the diagram) and tighten the locking grub screw. I've coated the rod with oil and the seal too. I got the seal over the rod by turning the assembly whilst pushing it down. It's over the rod but it's really tight (too tight I think). I cannot turn the assembly now which means I will not be able to screw in the front cap (#5). Is it normal to be so tight or has the seal sort of twist whilst fitting?
Do you mean that you can't turn it by hand? That wouldn't surprise me, but I've only done a dozen or so cylinders, none volvo. Maybe the piston won't be as tight as this seal in the gland and you will be able to turn the rod and piston enough to get it back together. I doubt it got twisted, and if it went in straight and you didn't pound anything, then you probably didn't pinch it either. Once you get the cylinder mounted, the rod will be easy to rotate with a big pipe, and I don't think the machine will notice the friction!
Yes, it's too tight to turn by hand, but then if its to stop the oil leaking past, I suppose it should be. I'm going to rebuild here tomorrow. I'm not going to take the assembly to bits again. Ill report back tomorrow how it goes. Thanks again for your help Delmer!
Hi karl, i have done plenty of volvo rams before, but never that type! I cant seem to make sense of the set up, but you have obvisly have the seal re fitted and if you have got it that far down the rod id say your good to go! Did you put and grease or oil on the seal before refitting? I do remember the older volvo rams being tight on the seal, so id say your fine! Hope she goes back together ok, Aiden
Hi all I put grease around the seals to start with but that wasn't good enough. I cleaned her back up then coated her with oil. I finished rebuilding it this morning. It was tight getting the nut back up to align the split pin. I got her nearly there but then had to "home out" the hole in the rod with a drill to pop the split pin through. I've disconnected both hoses on the ram tube to eliminate air locks and help the rod slide down. She's still bloody tight. At the moment I cannot get her down anymore than this. I'm assuming its just where the outer seal is tight sliding down the tube. I've taken her back out and giving it a good coat of oil but she's still tight. I don't want to knock her in.
Knock here in abit with a heavy hammer, not a sledge and see if she moves any, she will be tight, but you'll have to deicide your shelf if shes too tight!! Aiden
I decided to take your advice Aiden. I stood on the roof with a baby sledge and tapped her in (well a heavy tap). A mighty gush of hydraulic fluid through the pipe and she dropped in. I couldn't turn the assembly to start it but I manged to get a bar in the eye of the rod and screw them both in. The last few turns I had to finish with a hammer and chizel to tighten her all the way. Put her back together and started up, no leaks. Hydraulics seem to work fine so happy with the job. Had my camera handy so took a few more pics. Thanks again for all your help Aiden.
Hello Aiden, if you know a lot about these old Volvo types, can you please give me an idea what can be wrong when a Volvo lm 846 with automatic transmission runs for about 4 hours and than loses power, and transmission oil gets hot ? thanks for anykind of help, Kofo
i know this is off topic but im looking for a parts manual or service manual for this loader . im looking for transfer case parts any help would be appreciated thanks
Hi Crosshead Have got both a service manual and a parts manual.
Are these the parts diagram your after? Let me know what you want out of the service book and i'll upload them too.
Yes this is it is there a better break down of number 3 on top page this is awesome thanks for the help now to find parts
This is the gearbox I think. Is this what you need or do you need the drop box?
yes it is the shaft im looking for is 23
is there a part number for item 23 ? How did we ever do anything with out the internet lol you have know i dea how much this is helping me thank you so much karlbradshaw
There's no part numbers in the book I'm afraid or part descriptions. It just has diagrams and numbers. From past experience, I'd recommend contacting Volvo direct and giving them the drawing/diagram number and the part number (eg 23) and going from there. They should be able to tell you what it is (ie input shaft), then you can look for second hand parts.
That worked out thanks you karlbradshaw
Have you managed to find the bits you need? Can you upload a pic of your 846, would love to see her.
I will upload as soon as I bring it back to life