I have a 1999 Samsung se130 lc 3, developed a slow leak on a ram and I need to add couple gallons hydraulic fluid. I bought machine out of Albany NY years ago and use it on the farm. It was a training machine for a Union and is in great shape. Hydraulic fluid is nice and clean. Do I use a Zinc or No Zinc, ashless, oil ? The operator & service book just call for iso vg 46 hydraulic oil. No mention of using oil with or without zinc. Volvo bought Samsung in late 90's and Volvo sells their own oil under their name "Volvo super hydraulic oil". I called Volvo heavy equipment dealer here, 75 miles away, and on the phone all they could tell me was that its a AW oil, did not know if was zinc or zinc free, and I get a big "duh huh" when I ask The zinc question. Volvo/Samsung could have changed oil types over the years and older/newer machines on a given production year could require zinc/no zinc oil..Question; Do Samsung excavators require Zinc or No Zinc hydraulic oil? and does the current Volvo super hydraulic oil contain zinc? thanks
Good day Sam Not surprised at your response to the question, may I say been involved with that product standard 46 Hydraulic fluid is fine in all the machines I have encountered. Kind regards Uffex
The Volvo Super Hydraulic Oil uses a zinc-based package to achieve its anti-wear properties. The only product line I know where the manufacturer specifically requires the use of ashless (zinc-free) hydraulic oil is Hitachi. I will caveat that by saying the larger machines in the Hitachi range above the 1200 which is the smallest Hitachi model that I've ever been involved with. Everything from the 1200 up to the 8000 requires ashless oil, maybe below that too. Based on the age of your Samsung machine I would hazard a guess that regular zinc-based AW46 hydraulic oil would be fine for it.
Nige even the little deere 35d wants zinc free. When we got a few pails from deere it was the Hitachi oil.
Thanks for the confirmation Don. As I said I had no idea about anything in the Deere/Hitachi line smaller than a 1200. AFAIK Deere don't seel a zinc-free oil under their own brand. It's all Hitachi-branded.
Hmm, maybe I could just get oil tested and find out what I have in machine.. Castrol, Chevron, and a couple other mainstream manufactures make zinc free hydraulic oil. Seems like all the aftermarket cheap oils at auto & farm supply stores; stp, napa, master, warren et cetera have zinc for $36 to $56 for 5 gal. Volvo super hydraulic is $105 for 5 gallon and I expect castrol & Chevron around the $100 mark. My Case IH Tractor & Combine use Case IH Hytrans Ultral which is zinc free, $105 5 gallon. I have never sent oil off for analysis, where would you send it?
You might just be better simply to drain out as much of the oil in the hydraulic system that you can (not just drain the tank) and fill it with a known oil. Any major oil company branded oil (as opposed to Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries Special) should be more than good enough for a 20+ year old machine. I am of the opnion that you do not require ashless oil for that machine.
That would be correct. Walk into any Deere dealer and ask for excavator hydraulic oil and you will get an orange pail of Hitachi Zinc Free oil. And like Don S. said, all Hitachi/Deere excavators regardless of size run zinc free.
Ec210 here and I was told any 46 weight oil would be fine. But no hard Info to back it up
Whether AW or VG 46 , either is a good choice from reputable manufacturers. Mobil 424 is an excellent choice as well. As Nige mentioned, stay away from stuff like corner store house brands and such. You are not going to have a compatibility issue with either. I would of course suggest going with Volvo super, but they are quite proud of it. Good luck in whatever you choose.
So what did you end up putting in the volvo
Looking at your username. Fireblade man I take it..?
Yea just lost the fireblade in a flood a month ago. It was a sweet bike
find it kind of a long shot just looking for a document confirming. the zinc content in volvo hydraulic oil 98608 super 32.
500ppm would be industry standard for a hydraulic oil using a zinc-based anti-wear additive package. I can’t see Volvo being any different because some oil company somewhere will be packaging it for them. I’ll bet my bottom dollar that it’s the same oil as a lot of others on the market, just in a different colour of container. Also looking at the Vickers I-286-S/M-2950-S & Denison HF-O specifications it meets (according to the data sheet) then 500ppm of zinc would be right in the ball park.