Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

vts tracks designs

dodgeking3171 ยท 2016-02-19 22:51

Seems like a simple idea, but why dont the vts track systems use the front axles to drive as well? Everyone complains of broken rear cchains. seems like that would help? Also, who all makes vts systems for wheeled machines?

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2016-02-19 23:22

    Off the top of my head I can see two problems immediately, first if you had two drive sprockets, how would you tension the track? Second, if one sprocket wore slightly more than the other you would end up with some tremendous tension that would have to give somewhere. I know it sounds like it couldn't happen, but it can, a slight difference in the pitch circle and over time you would end up climbing the teeth of one sprocket or the other. I suppose you could do an external chain between the front and rear drive hubs, but then it would add weight, cost, complexity, and be another failure point.... http://www.ati-tracks.com/ http://www.lynx-engineering.co.uk/tracks.php https://camso.co/en/products-solutions/agriculture/products?vehicleType=993 http://www.gilbert-tech.com/en/tout-terrain/equipments-off-road/rubber-track-systems/ https://www.mattracks.com/

  2. #2dodgeking31712016-02-20 02:04

    I suppose. An extern chain from back to front doesnt relieve stress. Unless you hook the front drive to the rear sprockets

  3. #3caterpillarmech2016-02-20 08:05

    We used to put the front drive chain on the rear so it had a double chain drive. A single broken chain is a nightmare with the vts tracks on. You cant get to all of the lug nuts to pull the roller frame off to get to it all. Fun gong through the roller frame in to the tractor frame to get out a broken chain. We never had very god luck with vts. Our joke was, that you could not make the next oil change without replacing something on the vts system.

  4. #4DoyleX2016-02-20 09:08
  5. #5KSSS2016-02-20 15:26

    I broke one chain with the VTS system on my CASE 440. I put 1100 hours on the track system and traded the entire setup for a dedicated CTL. I did not have issues really with the system it worked well enough for me. Never had bought a part for the track system the entire time I had it, but it did need some work when I traded it in. CAT needed something while the MTL was failing in tough conditions and the CTL had not come out yet, they were selling wheeled machines that were VTS ready. They used this system pretty extensively. Here you could not rent an MTL from CAT (it is rocky high desert type ground) only the VTS wheeled machines. The MTL's simply could not survive in a rental application. Adding 1500 pounds per side, driving off of one chain, adds a lot of stress to a wheeled machine not built for that type of operation.