Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

W14 a336bd worth rebuild?

Joe HC W18 ยท 2023-11-05 14:26

We have a PoS case w14 that has been in a salt bin most of its life. Back in August it decided to dump all the coolant into the oil! Took us a couple months of chipping away at it in between other work to finally get the engine out and apart. On Friday we got the last of the liners out, and they all look good with the exception of the orings being torn and questionable. No spun bearings found yet on the crank or connecting rods, though they're showing a lot of copper. I found a thread on here indicating the balancer in the oil pump assembly can fail, which would make the engine not worth rebuilding. What should I look for on the balancer or engine block before I decide to rebuild this engine? The rest of this loader is very rough from salt, but it is a convenient back up loader for our w18. If I rebuild this engine does it have any resale value? If the motor rebuilt has any resale value then that would sway us in the direction of a rebuild despite the overall condition of the machine.

Replies4
  1. #1Joe HC W182023-11-05 14:29

    Good news is we didn't run it to the point of catastrophic failure, bad news is the oil and coolant mixed to create a grease that is pretty impressive in its staying power. Though I've read the coolant mixed in makes it abrasive.

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2023-11-11 10:09

    If your balancer failed you need to replace it. The bushings in the balancer are notorious to spin and block oil passages. Be sure and shim it correctly where balancer mounts to block.

  3. #3Joe HC W182023-11-12 07:25

    We're likely rolling the dice and going to rebuild it, balancer appears ok. I'll check bushings to make sure they didn't spin. I zip tied the shims to their appropriate bolt hole on disassembly, so I'm planning to reassemble with them in same positions.

  4. #4Simon C2023-11-12 09:52

    Oil Coolers can be filled with varsol to help get bad oil mixture out, but any kind of failure is oil cooler into recycle bin to get a new one melted and remanufactured. Too many people take chances with oil coolers and one bump later they have a spun bearing in engine when a chunk of shrapnel has busted loose. This is the most often cause of failure on recently overhauled engines that spin a bearing, other than bolting something into flywheel with no more crankshaft end play. That has destroyed many a motor also. Simon C