Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

WA450 lift capacity!!

powersmoke18 ยท 2011-01-13 18:10

ok folks I got a good one for ya!! I was asked by a friend of mine if i could offload a concrete sewer drain at his job next week. problem is i don't know if my bosses WA450 would pick it. The drain weighs in at 21,000lbs. now i've seen the 450 pick some heavy stuff but i would hate to get there and have a lack of power issue!! what You guys think??

Replies1
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2011-01-16 14:57

    Not sure you would have a power issue so much as a balance issue. If you have to hang it out in front of the bucket, it moves the center of gravity forward enough to lower the capacity. If you could get it slung in close to the machine, it may do it, but I doubt it out over the lip of the bucket. You could try curling the bucket all the way up and then running your cables over the front AND the back of the bucket, so the weight is held to the center, it has a better chance. I have picked 8,000# K rail with a 580 Case doing that. People said I couldn't load them, because they had tried out in front of the bucket. I slung them over the back, and picked them right up.