Has anyone changed a starter solenoid on a Komatsu WA450-3L? My solenoid looks like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/New-Starter-Solenoid-KOMATSU-NIKKO-0-47100-3940-3-TERMINAL-NIKKO-7-5kW-SSNK-959-/00/s/NjkzWDY2OQ==/$(KGrHqZ,!lgFC2rGW2CRBQ24,!8(s!~~60_14.JPG http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2432370d&vxp=mtr Is there a way to rotate that plunger part of the solenoid that goes over the yoke so as to get the solenoid off of the starter without removing the whole starter? I have the solenoid unbolted but its plunger won't come out. How do people get these solenoids off? Do you have the remove the starter and take it apart to change the solenoid? thanks, George
As I recall you can get the plunger out, but you have to somehow hold the pinion gear all the way forward, push some slack in the plunger and tilt it up out of the fork it rides in. But then my memory is always suspect. Might have to pull the starter anyway. Good luck.
I can't remember coming across any starter that has to be taken apart to get the solenoid off. I think you can get a Denso solenoid off without taking off the starter. Do you have the new soleniod? Check if the plunger will pull out of the outer part of the solenoid to give you a little more room to work, and you might have to get creative, maybe some wire to hold the bendix when you put the new one in? No Komatsu experience here, just Denso.
The more I think about it, the more I think I have done this on a similar solenoid already in the past. I think the parts rep was just trying to get more business by telling me I had to remove the starter to get the solenoid off. I'll try like you all are saying. Maybe I can fish a bent wire up in there to pull the forks forward and then tilt up and out the solenoid plunger. thanks all, George