Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

wabco 353

w353 ยท 2014-03-05 18:33

Anyone know were any 353's are if there are any left. Need a drop box

Replies19
  1. #1Buckethead2014-03-11 18:12

    I was going to write there's at least one in NJ, but I see NJ is your location too. Is that yours on Rt 9 by the Lowe's?

  2. #2RZucker2014-03-11 20:27

    What sort of damage have you done to yours? In the past I have had a lot of repairs done by some pretty good machine shops, even had the occasional gear manufactured when needed. Does yours have the internal or external oil pump ? I take care of 8 of the things on an on and off basis. Latest issue was hunting down a replacement main hydraulic pump.

  3. #3JBlackwell2014-08-08 14:13

    How rare are these to find? My wife's grandpa still has one left (had 2) that he is wanting to sell, but is wants more then what it is worth in my opinion. Justin

  4. #4RZucker2014-08-08 21:57

    To my knowledge there was only about 75 ever made. And that came from an old friend that worked for the company. Price is VERY subjective depending on condition, transport costs, etc. Its an impressive toy til you need parts or specialized services. Or even a weeks worth of fuel. I still like the things though.

  5. #5weaknees2014-08-28 18:20

    We can't have this thread with no pictures! I am Steve Weakley from NSW Australia, director of Footstool Earthmoving Pty Ltd, we have the only 2 Wabco 353's in Australia, one in use, one being restored as funds permit (very slowly..) website - www.footstoolearthmoving.com.au here is a bit of video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQrvreVqW3E which has a glimpse of the front drop box if you are observant! and a couple of pics from our first job with the big turtle - Keepit Dam auxiliary wall/spillway removal and rebuilding, coffer dam construction , and

  6. #6RZucker2014-08-28 21:15

    Glad to see you're digging and dumping again Steve. That rotor repair job sounds time consuming but well worth it if your not buying REALLY expensive parts.

  7. #7RZucker2014-09-11 21:27

    Just curious, Justin. Did those machines come from Washington state ?

  8. #8JBlackwell2014-09-12 09:05

    Yes they did. Come to find out he actually had 3 of them. He sold one to a guy over here in east Texas and has 2 left. One had the wiring ripped out of it which was stolen for scrap money. Father-in-law said it could be put back together. But back to your question my wife's grandpa bought 3 of them from a guy in Washington state that had somewhere around 30 of them. Heard he used them on one job for the government to clean up the volcano after that happened.

  9. #9Deeretracks2014-09-12 10:55

    Ugg, that gives me heartburn just thinking about keeping all those Jimmys running with all that ash in the air.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2014-09-12 11:27

    I still like to hear a Jimmy scream. That ash sure did put a premium on air filters for a while. We could see the haze all the way over in North Dakota a few days later.

  11. #11RZucker2014-09-12 22:11

    Well, I believe he got number 22, 23, and number 30 from the Mourer construction auction at the Ritchie Brothers site in Maytown (Olympia) WA. I was there with the machines doing the last minute care and feeding to get them across the block. (as a matter of fact, I drove #25 across the block) I do believe I passed a few words about the machines with your grandfather. I did speak with a lot of the potential buyers that day. As far as the number of 353s that Mourers had, the total was 11 and I believe 6 in knocked down spare parts. And near as I know the 353s did not participate in the Toutle river clean up. But there was a bunch of 333Fs, 333FTs, and 4 339s on that job. If you read through the "Wabco scrapers at work" thread, there's a bit of history on their machines. Strangely, til the auction I was never a Mourer employee but over the years I have had my hands on almost every one of their machines in one way or another. Usually working for a few buyers or giving a bit of advice here and there.

  12. #12RZucker2014-09-12 22:17

    I was in Eastern Washington that day, pretty eerie when its pitch black at noon.

  13. #13JBlackwell2014-09-15 09:27

    Next time I am over by his shop I will see what #s they are. I plan on taking our little boy by and getting pictures of him in front of the Wabco and also his HD41A he still has before he sells them. My wife's grandpa who owns them has been trying to get them both fired up to sell. He is 75 years old with a bad back and can't hear and mumbles, so I usually just talk to my father-in-law about them since he is also the person who ran the equipment anyways. When I get pics I will post them.

  14. #14RZucker2014-09-15 20:28

    I for one would really like to see those pics. And I stand corrected, the Mourer 353s did work on the Toutle river cleanup job. My memory...

  15. #15oldtom2015-07-01 07:17

    Steve was one of these one of the 353 that A.V.Jennings had in Qld Brisbane to gold-coast Hwy back in the late 70 remember seeing it atWABCO yard E/farm

  16. #16JBlackwell2016-02-02 14:01

    Finally got a picture. Had my little boy standing in front of it. Knabbed a couple pics of his HD41 also the other day.

  17. #17RonG2016-02-02 14:37

    I ran an old Michigan prime mover with an Hancock elevating scraper that was the same animal in principle as these Wabcos and it was fun to watch one in action here.It brings back the old days.Mine had a a 6V53 in it but only the one engine.I have posted pics of it in the past.I know the company that I worked for folded and I heard third hand that it had been cut up for scrap (.Ron G

  18. #18RZucker2016-02-03 22:31

    Pretty amazing pic. I do remember those odd tires on that machine. The blocks on the edge of the tread made them a good packer on the edges of a fill. Just happens that I finished up a front engine tune on #21 and will be doing air checks and balancing the front and rear engine synchronization tomorrow. Did a bit of work on #20 awhile back for steering issues and some electrical work on #27.

  19. #19RZucker2016-02-03 22:52

    I've worked around some older 33 yard Michigans with hydraulic drive elevators and just like 633 Cats they never had the elevator power the electric Wabco elevators had. If I remember correctly a Wabco 333 had about 150+ elevator HP at 284 feet per minute. Way above and beyond what a 45 series Vickers hydro motor can put out. That reminds me, Euclid/Terex S-35E's sadly lacked in that department too. But they did have the variable input torque convertor like a Wabco that cut down on tire slip and sent more HP to the elevator.