I may post this in a few places here on the Heavy Equipment forum, but I thought I would start here. I am doing research on Wagner/FWD Wagner products and would like to hear from any one that has any old literature, pictures, or knows about their machines. I have seen most all the info available on the web; what I am looking for are the folks that have literature collections or old logging magazines or old photos of Wagner skidders, Lumberjacks, etc. This includes Scoopmobile as well. If you think you have something shoot me a line (off-list might be best) and we can talk. Thanks for your time. -WagnerFan
We ask that you not post the same thread in different forums, it will cause confusion here on the Board and could even be detrimental to your results. Thanks.
No problem!
I hope theres someone who post those machines on here i have always been very amazed and interested in those Wagner machines.
I have a Model L-24 FWD Wagner Logloader an early 1960's Model as best I can determine so far. It runs good and I am in the process of bringing it back into better condition. Paint Cab interior gauges tires batteries water pump window glass. I am looking for parts currently to accomplish this. The unit looks rough right now but mostly everything is cosmetic. We have owned it since the late 1970's but haven't used it very much over the years as the job we bought it for completed and other equipment was used at that point. I want it to look good in the event of selling it at sometime in the future but I will still use it some before that occurs. This is an amazing machine and extremely unique among heavy equipment variations in design and applications. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has knowledge of this machine or might be interested later in purchasing it. I will post pictures of it soon so curious people can identify it. I have seen very few pictures of the Model L24 ever. So maybe mine can help others archives. Not that other pictures don't exist but finding them so far for me any way has been difficult. Glad to be on the forum and I look forward to any info others might have.
Does yours have the extendable main boom? I'd love to see pics of it!
Yes it does have the extendable Boom section. I know they were on the L24 and the L40 but I am not sure if they came on larger models. I will be taking some pictures on Wednesday. But I won't have the extended boom pics until later on when I am running it again. But I will post them at that time. If you have any info on this model send it to me if you would.
Me to. The Wagners were forerunners in logging equipment.
The biggest model with the extendable boom that I know of was the L-60. The L-70/80s did not come with it. It seems to have been dropped as a feature by the time Raygo took over, sometime in the mid 70s. Pretty much all the smaller models had it until it was dropped form the line, along with most of the smaller models. What is the serial number of your unit?
Serial No. L-24603 Engine number 472409 It is a cummins but I am not sure if it is a Jn 130 or a c 160 I still haven't found the id plate on the engine. The engine number I have is on the plate on the right rear side of the machine provided by FWD Wagner Inc. It has a allison transmission model 3551.3 serial nu mber 43386 trans no. 210764. Tell me what you can on the year made etc... The numbers are wagner numbers but I haven't found how they cross to the engine model specifically.
Cool! I am still trying to learn how the other FWD Wagner serial numbers worked out, but if it is anything like the tractors, the first two digits are the model (24), the next digit is the year made (6) and the last 2-3 numbers are the number of the machine. Maybe. If this is correct, yours should be a 1966 model. Raygo bought FWD Wagner in 1971, so I would expect yours to say Raygo Wagner if it was a 1976 machine. The way I read it is that yours is the 3rd L-24 made in 1966.
That is good to know thanks for that info. I am going to take a closer look at the engine id plate on Wednesday that will help a lot. I wonder how many were ever made? Do you know the first year they were made maybe 1960 or 1961?? I have no idea. I thought I read that FWD took over in 1963.
I have no idea how many were made total and I would love to know. They are still being made now. I am still trying to pin it down, but I am pretty sure they were first made sometime around 1956-7. FWD took over in 1961.