Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Walking Drag-Line Near Henderson TX

AustinPSD · 2009-07-14 17:24

Here is a nice shot of a walking drag-line and a dozer taken near Henderson, TX at the TXU Oak Hill mining operation. This is a 26,000 acre lignite mining site, part of a the larger Martin Lakes Mine operation, and produces about 13 million tons annually. It is pretty amazing to watch this machine move!

Replies58
  1. #1bigcatpip2009-07-14 20:09

    nice pic

  2. #2AustinPSD2009-07-14 20:50

    Thanks - there are at least two of these machines, one (this one) marked DelTa 34, the other marked DelTa 36 on the mine site. TXU is known to use Bucyrus machines on many of its mines, I can't find a reference for Delta. The only data on the sister machine, 36 I've been able to locate is that is has an 82 cubic yard bucket, a main boom length of 325', and weighs a staggering 8,000,000 lbs. I watched this one being walked across the road from one section of the mine to another (wasn't allowed to photograph), then get set up for operation in the new work area.

  3. #3992G2009-07-15 02:51

    Nice shot, what size dozer is that? Looks like a D10 possibly? Looks like this is visable from the road?

  4. #4AustinPSD2009-07-15 09:40

    That is a D10. This shot was taken from Elderville Road which passes through the current working, northeast section of the mine site. The machine was stripping overburden after having been walked over the road from south to north. There are several places around the mine site where various activities are visible from the surrounding/intersecting roads. Elderville Road, FM782 and a number of other county roads provide views of both big draglines in the northeast section of the mine, as well as the haul roads, equipment shed, and the material handling/loading operation.

  5. #5992G2009-07-15 13:56

    Thanks for the info AustinPSD, might be in the area soon, and if time allows, will have to see this if possible.

  6. #6SpecOne2009-07-16 22:07

    These draglines are amazing. Also used to enjoy driving by the San Miguel Power Plant and watching their draglines. Haven't been by there in a while. Last time I was by there they weren't working near any public roads.

  7. #7Knucklehead2009-07-17 00:55

    Do you know if these machines were built for this mine? Reason I ask is Amax Coal Co. had some "Delta" mines. I believe that one of them was near Marion IL. Just thinking out loud, I guess.

  8. #8AustinPSD2009-07-17 13:21

    I think the units marked DelTa 34 and 36 are Marion 8750 walking draglines. They have have been in service at the Amax Delta mines, but I am just speculating. Marion was acquired by Bucryus in 1996/97, and does not maintain a public photo archive on their site to aid in ID'ing the machine. The boom structure, house and other details look similar, if not identical to the units identified as Marion 8750's on http://www.stripmine.org .

  9. #91570BEGrdman2009-07-18 00:42

    walking dragline your correct. its a marion 8750 dragline. they also have a 8200 marion on the far western side of that mine. they also have 3 other 8750's at their beckville mine not far from there. I work for north american coal, not far from there. I run the ground dozer ,a D9T, for a 1570 BE dragline. At our mine we have 2 identical 1570 BE's; a marion 8200, and a page 726 dragline. cant post any pictures, i want to keep my job. if u know what i mean.

  10. #10AustinPSD2009-07-18 10:13

    Thanks 1570BEGrdman! It is too bad the mining/utility companies are so restrictive and tight with the photos of their operations. The operation is fascinating to watch, and they all do an awesome job of reclamation too - nothing to keep hidden or be ashamed of. When they were moving this particular unit across the road, they had a safety officer on both sides of the barricades. Part of this person's responsibilities was to keep people from photographing or video-taping the operation. When I talked to the officer, he alluded to them being harassed by environmentalists, news scammers, and others who mostly wanted to put them in a bad light. He kindly suggested that I could wait around, and "probably get a picture" once the machine was reset on the new section of mine. The damnedest thing is most of us like electricity, so why the nut cases can't connect the dots that no mining = no lignite/coal = no lights/air-conditioning... Anyway thanks 1570BEGrdman for the info. You have a cool job, it has to be awesome to work around these machines!

  11. #11alco2009-07-19 11:57

    Was it a public road they were crossing? If so, they cannot stop you from taking pictures or video....as long as you are on public property when you are doing it. Brian

  12. #12AustinPSD2009-07-19 12:10

    Yes, it is a public road. The security officer politely requested that I refrain from photographing during the move, he didn't demand or imply that it was required. While I could have continued photographing, I tend to give the working guys like myself a break, especially when they're polite and respectful, so I complied with his request.

  13. #13dragman2010-01-09 20:28

    1570BEGrdman, did North American erect the 8200-M new, if not, what mine did was it erected new. Also, was the 726 a new machine & what bucket size?

  14. #14dragman2010-01-09 20:39

    SpecOne, I heard that the surface part of San Miguel mines were idled, they had a 740 Page, if it is idle, is it still located at the mine? What other dragline line do they have?

  15. #15dragman2010-01-09 20:47

    Knucklehead Amax Coal, Delta mine did have a 8750-M with a 110 yd bucket. Northwest Resources bought it around 1996 & moved it to the Jewett Mine. They installed a 128 yd bucket, which at the time, it had the largest bucket in Texas & may still be the largest, I don't know. I think this mine is owned by Westmoreland Coal now, not sure.

  16. #161570BEGrdman2010-01-09 21:16

    walking dragline near henderson tx The 8200 is a 1978 model, but was never put together back then. It was put together in 2007-2008. North American bought the 726 page from a small mine close by. It has a 21 yard bucket on it.

  17. #17Lexy2010-01-10 12:27

    That's a nice looking machine. I saw them when I flew to El Paso back in the Spring of 2009. I flew out of Houston and our routing took us right over the coal fields and you could see the pits way down below. Awesome!

  18. #182stickbill2010-01-10 23:26

    Last I heard it was owned by Westmoreland Coal.I used to run parts to all the mines for the Hitachi Excavators. Liked the little Cle Traxx dozer on display.Flat head V8 Ford with home made hydr.blade.They dug it up in the mine.

  19. #19dragman2010-01-11 10:03

    Thanks for that info. Are your two 1570's nicknamed "The Big Dipper" and "The Texas Star"

  20. #201570BEGrdman2010-01-12 20:01

    walking dragline near henderson tx They were called by them names. They are now '' the lone star'', and the ''Iron Eagle''. I run the dozer for the ''Iron Eagle''.

  21. #21dragman2010-01-13 17:25

    I think that's the first time I ever heard of a machine name change unless it was moved to another mine location. They are beautiful machines when the mine first started, are they still painted white upper, blue lower, with blue boom, mast & gantry? The logo of "The Big Digger" on the machine really looked nice. Are you still running the (2) Huron 1224 Easi-Miners?

  22. #221570BEGrdman2010-01-13 22:20

    Yep their still running the 2 easi-miners. They got a couple PC1800 trackhoes, a PC 2000 trackhoe, and a 992 also. They just retired their RH 140 O&K shovel.

  23. #23oldhousehugger2010-08-06 18:04

    Here’s a tangent to get going on. Reclamation is a noble concept I agree. However, we are told every day that Texas is running out of water. The North Texas Water District is busy trying to increase reservoir capacity. They are damming up the Sulfur River as we speak. Why in Gods name are they spending millions to dig deep holes in the earth to mine the coal and then spending additional millions filling them in again when the mined out areas could be used for water storage. Sure if you are just getting the coal out, reclamation is better than doing nothing. But, these huge utilities are all well acquainted with the politics of water. What is keeping them from creating deep lakes to be used as water storage? Surely they have water treatments that can get the heavy metals out of the stored water if that is the hold up. Any ideas? Is it because they own the mineral rights but the surface owner has to have dry land when they are all done?

  24. #24Lexy2010-08-18 15:45

    I think that's a fair question. The surface mines from my hometown had it drawn up in their reclamation plans for some pits to become lakes while other pits were filled in. It makes very good sense and to be honest, I'm surprised they aren't doing that in Texas to begin with. Anyone here familiar with the reclamation laws in that state regarding surface mining?? Texas and its production of coal, has always fascinated me. I wish that I could see more photos of some of the machines working there. I only have a couple of photos from my own collection and that's it. Here's a photo of that dragline I have in AMAX colors. Click Here: http://www.pbase.com/image/127531175/original

  25. #25devildog03312011-11-05 22:02

    they are amazing....im the lead mech for Delta 31...8750 at the beckville mine down the road. 5 swing..6 drag..8 hoist and 4 propel motors plus gen sets make this machine a beast. the simple yet complex set of gears/pinions make this machine operate...plus the operator who makes this machine dig....still amazed everday im up there doing a lube and mech walkthru. truly an amazing piece of earthmoving eqiup.

  26. #26Nige2011-11-06 09:26

    Years ago I worked on a coal mine that used a B-E 1550W dragline. Long gone now, it was cut up for scrap in the late 90s. When you've had the machine down for maintenance and fire up the MG sets does it still make the lights for miles around go dim for a few seconds like ours used to ..?

  27. #27250c2011-11-06 18:29

    TXU has a mine east of Kosse,Tx that use the same machines. They are usally visable from hwy 7

  28. #28Ross2011-11-06 19:47

    Any News about the "Ace of Spades" P&H 757 Dragline shipped from the UK? Reports sudgested its being / been erected at the Red-Hills operation.

  29. #29blitz1382011-12-21 18:56

    Tried to upload some pictures of different draglines I've worked on this year but files are too big. Ill see if I can shrink some......

  30. #30Donns2012-06-05 15:19

    Ross The Ace of Spades is finally getting ready to be reborn. She is being located about 60 miles or so South of the Mississippi Red Hills Mine. The new mine is part of a very high tech power plant being built (Google: Mississippi Power, Kemper project). North American Coal set up a new company called Liberty Fuels to operate the mine using the Ace. As of 01 June 2012 the Tub is being welded out. Parts have been in storage at the port of New Orleans for a couple of years and are still coming to the erection site. I remember the Ace from past visits to Stobbswood and remember when she was sold originally. Some of the parts still have the Made in Brazil labels on them, the walking eccentrics have a made in Canada cast on them and I seem to remember that some of the parts were made in Spain but can't remember which parts. The old girl is getting quite a make-over and when done she will be as advanced as any 2013 model. AC Drives and about every bell and whistle you could wish for. I see the daily progress so I am please to keep interested people updated. Cheers.

  31. #31JeremiahSr2012-06-05 17:41

    Love these machines Not hijacking your thread...just adding to it. Hope you don't mind my good sir. This one is in Jewett, Tx in a coal mine. There are 3 out there. Best part to me was the only noise you here is from the D10/D11 Cat dozer. The dragline is electrically powered......it has about a 10" round extension cord stretched to it. You can follow the cord for over a 1/2 mile to the main electrical junction station they feed off of. Probally dig you a pool in the back yard in 2 scoops!

  32. #32blitz1382012-06-05 19:21

    What kind of dragline is the Ace of Spades? Do you know what the new mine is called? That dragline in Texas, is it a Westmoreland mine or Luminant?

  33. #33Donns2012-06-06 06:17

    blitz138 The Ace of Spades is a P&H (Page) 757. As best I can recall the dragline was already sold by Page back in 1988/89 when P&H purchased Page, hence the model 757 still being used. She was the first of the P&H machines to use the Marion style walking system. The mine here is a new pit and as far as I know it is to be called Liberty Mine, run by Liberty Fuels Inc, a company set up by North American Coal to operate the mine and supply Lignite to the new Mississippi power plant being built as part of the whole development. The plant is to operate as a gassifier and will supply a total of 582MW. When the Dragline is finishe she will be one of the most up-to-date machines going. New AC VF Drives, new -about everything. I'm here on a daily basis and as part of my job I monitor the work on the Dragline as well as the complete Lignite handling system so I'm here until August 2013. In my capacity I can only answer questions in general terms because of proprietary agreements and all and I cannot supply pictures - sorry. However I'm a lifelong Dragliner (Marion for 21 years prior to the BE takeover). So I understand the iterest of Dragline fans. I did visit the Ace in England at Stobswood when she was running there. I also helped open up Butterwell back in 1976. ANother Dragline move that is just about to start is moving the Maid Marion, a Marion 8200 located at New Brunswic Coal in Minto New Brunswic, Canada. She is going to go into the Phosphate mining business in North Carolina. That one is also dear to my heart, I was the original Marion erector on that machine in 1978/79 and went back in 1992 and put a new tub under her. Ya'll have a good day

  34. #34blitz1382012-06-06 12:18

    Wow Donns! Thats pretty awesome. Thanks for all the info.

  35. #35Nige2012-06-06 14:37

    Donns, you wouldn't be a certain (formerly) goatee-bearded erector from Marion Power Shovel who used to have the "Do not bend, fold, spindle, or otherwise hassle the person" sticker on his hard hat at Butterwell would you perchance .....??

  36. #36Skid Shear2012-07-06 20:25

    Blitz- Not sure which Texas mine you're referring to, but I regularly drive through the Kosse mine on Hwy 7 and it belongs to Luminant. They rail the lignite ~12 miles to the Oak Grove Power Plant in Franklin...

  37. #37Mighty Samson2012-10-25 15:38

    I ran an 8750 Draglines for Syncrude Canada for 28yrs. I loved my job. To bad it had to come to an end.

  38. #38Donns2012-10-25 16:43

    I be that old guy Nige, I am indeed that old guy. Are you the same NS that left Taylor Woodrow and went to Ransomes? (I'm sorry I missed your post so long ago, must have been out traveling somewhere that computers have not been invented yet)

  39. #39Donns2012-10-25 16:56

    Mighty Samson Glad to know someone who had so much experience on the old Orange Beast. I was with Marion when those 2 were erected alongside the two 2570s. I visited the job a few times but was not the erector. I was working on an 8050 down at Waubaman (sorry if I spelled that wrong) for Alberta Power part of the time the 8750s were going up there. The Bechtel Superintendent over those Draglines was a friend of mine and had a heart attack on that job. He later came out to new Brunswick and worked for the small contractor who put up the 8200 for NB Coal. I was the erector on that machine from start to finish.

  40. #40Donns2012-10-25 17:06

    Ace of Spades Fans Just a qick update to let all the old Ace of Spades fans know what is happening to her. The Tub had an 18 inch skirt added to make it larger. The upper frame is assembled on supports on the Tub, except the 2 propel sections and the 2 outside rear sections - these will go on when she is down on the rollers. The tub and upper rail pads were removed and replaced with 4" thick plates - almost welded out now. Should start machining between frames in about 2 weeks. She's getting all new AC drive motors and a starwars control system. Shoes will be 10 feet longer (softer ground here than at Stobbswood). Mast is completed and Boom is well on the way. All 14 Gearcases refurbished and here and all new drum gears. She's going to be a sweetie. Sorry I can't do pictures because of my contract to the overall project.

  41. #41Mighty Samson2012-10-25 17:42

    When I retired, Syncrude sold to Marions and one 2570BE to The boys in Australia. They came and cut those machines to pieces and brought them back home and totally rebuilt them. They put a 120cu.yd bucket on the Marions . I wish I knew how to upload the pictures for you. Take care

  42. #42icestationzebra2012-10-25 20:39

    Who's drives did they go with? I'm guessing Flanders. ISZ

  43. #43alco2012-10-25 20:55

    Mighty Samson, I'd be more than happy to help you with posting the pictures. I actually work for Syncrude now, with a bunch of the guys you would have worked with on the draglines. I'll send you a private message.

  44. #44Mighty Samson2012-10-25 22:30

    Are you able to get my email address? if not let me know. Waiting to hear from you.

  45. #45Nige2012-10-26 07:53

    Yes indeedy. Left Ransomes for Africa and went with the Big Yellow Machine from there on in. Switched from factory/dealer to being a customer 4 years ago when I came here to the Caribbean. I am now slowly working my way to retirement (21 months & counting !!) and the point where I can put my feet up and let my 3 sons keep me in the style to which I've become accustomed. Not sure how that idea will pan out though when the sort of comment that comes from them is "Hey baldy, less of the lip. Remember we get to pick your retirement home"......... Are you still based in Gatorville..?

  46. #46Donns2013-11-03 09:23

    Hi Nige You can see I seldom check the postings here. I am still in Gatorland, just a different town from before. Hope you are still getting on well. I just completed a contract in Mississippi, part of the contract was the oversight of the reassembly of the old Page/P&H 757 from England - The ACE OF SPADES. She is now called the Liberty Belle and walked off the pad last Monday -28th October 13. Are you on LinkedIn?

  47. #47Nige2013-11-03 09:42

    Not on LinkedIn but I have sent you my personal e-mail address.

  48. #48Extractorfan2013-11-03 12:22

    AustinPSD, I agree, most of the things we consume & use, electronics etc rely on mined minerals, I remember on a trip to Canada passing a large steel mill on the shore of Lake Erie, and some of the people on the bus tour saying what a mess it looked, I replied yes but you still want to buy your cars & white goods that's where the steel is made not on another planet! They said yes I suppose you'r right. It's like electric cars, they still need batteries charging where do they think the electricity comes from? Ex tractor fan.

  49. #49Nige2013-11-03 12:34

    Always remember this - If you can't grow it you have other alternative than to mine it.

  50. #50blitz1382013-11-06 12:10

    Aye Nige, I said that to a greeny the other day and they tried to argue then ended the conversation with "there should be another way" Ill be coming down to PV next week btw.

  51. #51Nige2013-11-06 12:13

    I'll make sure I'm on vacation then ........... :tong:tong

  52. #52blitz1382013-11-06 18:36

    :crying I thought your job was a vacation

  53. #53Nige2013-11-06 19:09

    A lot of people think that...... On a serious note, check your PMs.

  54. #54Killbox Alpha2014-07-06 14:11

    This machine was on the move last week. It was being moved by Mammoet on one of their trailers. The shoes had been removed as well as the bucket. I've only got the two pics at the moment but I hope to have more shortly. If so I'll post them as well.

  55. #55Nige2026-06-18 17:42

    I came across these videos and thought of this thread.

  56. #56Nige2026-06-18 17:43

    Double post

  57. #57John C.2026-06-18 22:09

    I've seen them work before but never seen them walk. Thanks for the video!

  58. #58Nige2026-06-19 10:49

    They don't so much walk as shuffle.