Hey guys, new here. So just a quick backdrop on me I am 22 y/o male, and within about a month or so I will be a Coast Guard Veteran. Now I see one option is that some unions offer an apprenticeship program, which to me seems like the best way to go, get paid right away and no cost for school. Just wanted to get your guys take on what is the best way or route to take to become a heavy equipment operator. The one catch is that about half to 3/4 of them seem to only hire like now, and maybe into mid february, are most good ones like that? Also I did see the Helmets to Hardhats program, but I saw nothing different on there website after registering that anythng you can see publicly elsewhere. Am i right in thinking as long as I show them a copy of my DD 214 thats good enough for them and me? One other question, they seem to advertise that there will be a decent amount of competition applying for an apprenticeship, and any kind of skills or experience will help you move upon the list. What should be my expectations with these skills: attended an automotive technical school after HS in light duty diesel 4 years in the USCG as a DC (Damage Controlman, basically handyman, welding, cutting, brazing, fire fighting, stuff like that) ALso should note i am located in NW ohio, and my union research is mainly from that area. Thanks guys, and any other opinons and ideas are welcome!
Hi Guardian29, best thing to do is to go down to your local Operating Engineer local and talk to them. Your service will put you a leg up in the competition for the openings. Your mechanic training will help also. Are you stuck to your area or are you willing to travel to an area where operators are in demand? When I joined the pile drivers 43 years ago I worked permit for 3 years and could not get in because of a few dead beats always on the out of work bench. I traveled to a neighboring state to work on a job and got right in because help was in short supply. After you get your book and finish your training so you got your journeymans card you can go where ever you want. Good luck.