Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Want to know valves used in various industry.

Gary Clark · 2017-11-09 06:54

I am Gary. I was reading on various valves used across various industries. I happened to read about oil and gas industry, too. With such a huge variety, I got confused, which are the important ones, and which aren’t? I would like to know about the important types of oil and gas industry valves.

Replies7
  1. #1Welder Dave2017-11-09 23:29

    They're all important or they wouldn't be there. Your question is too wide ranging. I guess most important would a blow out preventer (BOP) which is kind a of a valve. 2nd most important is the valve that shuts off the supply in the case of an emergency or a leak.

  2. #2John C.2017-11-11 10:59

    What kind of valves are you asking about? What kind of media is going through them?

  3. #3td25c2017-11-11 22:14

    Welcome Gary . Valves are important but Lift & duration of the camshaft also plays a big factor . You want a good 3 angle valve job on the heads with a narrow seat in the middle of the valve face . What RPM range are ya thinking about ? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k34-600-5 Gary ,you are building an engine ? When I hear oil , gas & valves .... Well ...... LOL !

  4. #4DMiller2017-11-13 06:12

    And as far as importance in the Oil/Gas industry it is not so much the valve as the operator, Massoneilian Limitorque, Flowserve are a few of those. Differences in gear drive, direct operation fluid or air operated, electric solenoid or motor drives, speed of operation all are important aspects. Working in the nuclear world I saw most every manufacturer of valves for steam fluids all sort of process flows. We used every type of valve to some extent including in the safety operation of the facility.

  5. #5redneckracin2017-11-13 08:09

    Different valves also serve different functions and have different characteristics of how the flow passes through them. I would not want a gate valve in a high pressure scenario and I would not want to throttle a flow with a ball valve. Head loss is a big thing to consider when moving large volumes of anything as well as the service life of the valve and its components. To make things a little easier to grasp your question is like asking what types of cars are produced and why?

  6. #6digger242j2017-11-13 17:57

    I would like to know why a guy who gives his location as "USA" is posting from an IP address in India.

  7. #7td25c2017-11-13 21:41

    I gave Gary a 50 / 50 chance digger . Not good odds but at least he might be looking at different camshaft options .