Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wanted Salvage Equipment

njansma ยท 2012-10-04 14:09

Anyone out there have any or know of any burned, rolled, or wrecked equipment that a guy could rebuild. Thanks 712-470-1562

Replies10
  1. #1Dualie2012-10-07 23:19

    china is producing tons of it by the day

  2. #2D6 Merv2012-10-08 00:38

    sorry dualie; but you cannot make honey out of horses..t !

  3. #3joispoi2012-10-08 06:01

    Anything that's burned = money pit. There's more money in breaking salvage machines for parts than there is in rebuilding them.

  4. #4joispoi2012-10-08 06:03

    Not true. I had my first business when I was 10 years old. I sold horse manure to my neighbors!

  5. #5rabia2012-10-09 07:45

    I am agreed with your point.:notworthy Nothing is impossible.

  6. #6jeff452012-10-15 18:17

    www.salvagesale.com ive been looking on there for a while

  7. #7wosama931b2012-10-15 19:56

    Hi, njansma, Look for the local sheriff auction, some times they have an old truck, car or other machines. It cost a heaping lot of $$$ to get a large machine up to good speed, don't give up the day job yet. Good luck, wosama931b.

  8. #8Lee-online2012-10-15 20:01

    There is a guy in this area that rebuilds insurance totaled equipment as a side job. The last one was a fire damaged 953c and it looked brand new when he was done with it. He did all the work but had us do the calibrations. I dont know how much he makes on them but he does buy all new cat parts from what i could tell. we rebuild fire damaged equipment if it is cost effective. so far we have done skid steers, D9R, D8T and a 330c.

  9. #9John C.2012-10-15 20:11

    From what I have seen first hand, you can only repair fire damaged or insurance totaled equipment on certain models and utilize used parts and discount your labor to nothing. You might then be able to make 65% of market value on your sale. The bottom line is you have to obtain the insurance total for near nothing. It makes a nice empty time project for an enterprising mechanic with some extra money to risk. So far I haven't seen it be enough to build a self supporting business, yet. Perhaps a curb stoner with a small facility handling rentals as a main business who has an excellent wrench and a helper to train. How about it Willie?

  10. #10Lee-online2012-10-15 20:34

    We only get to the bigger equipment or smaller if it only minor damage. At $100 hour it doesnt take long to become non cost effective. About 6 years ago i did a D9R and it cost $200K The one guy who does it, does it as a hobby/side job in his hanger. I think he knows the insurance adjuster and buys the equipment really cheap.