I've been kicking around a skid loader, will be getting wheels, not a track machine. I'm on rocky soil most of the time. Can be some crooked conditions. What I'm using the loader for is to set crane mats under crane outriggers. So really like a rough terrain forklift most of the time. The mats are going to be around 1,500- 2500 lbs. Wood and wood/ steel mats. I'm loading it on the trailer with the crane counterweights and mats, so a skid will do what I want. But I'm going to be carrying around 2,500 and repeatedly loading and unloading them off the trailer. I'm not as interested in cycle speed as I am in precise movement and lift capacity. Nothing very new either. Pre 2000 probably, I'm a simple mechanic. Grew up running Hydra mac's with dual hand controls. They are kind of scarce and hard to get parts for. Have been in bobcat, new holland, case, john deere. None of them for probably more than a hour. So, case 1845c? Everyone says they built like a boulder /reliable. I remember them being less than precise on controls and I was a little worried about lift capacity. Guy by me has a new holland lx875, not as fond of foot controls but I can probably make it work. I'm thinking with the more wheelbase it would probably be a little more stable with a load on. I don't know bobcat numbers at all once past the 773- 873 series. Again foot controls, I would prefer hand, but if someone has a recommendation I'm not married to any idea. I actually see some of the case 80-90 xt series from time to time, priced about like a 1845c. I think they are hand pilot control, but I know nothing reliability wise. I think the reason they are priced by me about like the 1845's is the reliability reputation of the 1845's. So throw me a little advice. I'm not spending more than $15,000. I'm not afraid of buying at auction and shipping either. And I don't mind a little work. Don't care about dealer support, I rarely go to a dealer for any of my cranes or trucks. What do I want? Thanks for all advice in advance.
I've got an 1845c and they are fantastic machines, but if I was moving 2500 lbs around, I'd want a bigger machine for sure. I just moved a 2200 lb Bridgeport machine with an S650. It's rated at 2690 lift. But the other thing to remember is the tip rating. Even though it could lift it no problem, it got very tippy at that weight. If you're working on rough terrain, it's going to be really slow going. This one place a track machine would be helpful, they general have a higher tip capacity compared to lift. Something to consider. As for hand or foot controls and all that. It's mostly comes down to what you've used in the past and what your used to. Bobcats are mostly foot controls. Case are mostly hand controls in some form. But I think machine size vs price is your biggest deciding factor here.
We bought this old Cat 246 about 3 yrs ago with about 3,800 hrs on it & it has been great for a yard skidsteer that is used for knocking around the yard doing odd jobs. I think it is a yr 2002 ish & we paid $10,000 CDN for it. Has pilot controls & it maneuvers around excellent. No heated cab, but we are ok with that for the amount it is used.
As much as I like my 1845c, it will not handle 2500lbs.
The 1800 series is the Gold Standard for dependability. There are no secrets with it, if you buy one and have issues, you can be 100 percent certain someone has an answer. I owned 6 1840's over the years and I liked that aspect of the machine. These were built prior to the safety switch craze that would come later, so combined with robust engineering (for the most part) and a Cummins motor. These are hard to beat for the home owner or occasional use contractor. The issues with them are they are loud, low on power (56 on the 1845C and 50 on the 1840), I hate the brake pin system, and yes the lift capacity ROC is 1750 on the 1845c and 1500 on the 1840 is on the low side. The XT and 400 series (much the same on the outside). These machines were created in the safety switch craze and those issues do come up, easy and cheap to fix, but frustrating when you cant move the machine because a light is the wrong color. Other than the Series 3 400 series (hyd. pilot controlled), these were mechanical servo controlled and really good at least in my opinion. Great feel, low effort and near zero issues with them mechanically. I have owned 85XT's (was not a fan, not enough hp for the weight at my elevation and it was not turboed), 95XT's, 70XT, 440, 465's. The XT's really set the bar at the time for capacity in a skid steer. Built when steel was cheap, super HD and with a Cummins engine they ran well. You could order a 90-95XT with a 5K psi hyd system. Pretty dang impressive for its time. I thought, while not perfect certainly (cabs are not great) these large loaders can lift a crazy amount of weight, and move incredible amounts of material. Put steel tracks on a 95XT/465 and you have a D3 that can load trucks. The biggest issue reliability wise is the 465 changed up their pump configuration for a short time, big mistake and it was corrected, but you don't want one of those. Other than that, most reliability issues revolve around safety sensors, I think that is still what all OEM's face today, especially as the machines age. Lastly the big XTs and 400 series weigh around 10K so you want to make sure you have enough trailer and pickup to pull them. I don't know what you want to do with the machine, but looking back, the best machine for its size was the 440 2200 pound ROC, two speed, more power to weight than anything on the market then and likely still, 4.5 liter Iveco is big and burly other than an exhaust note that irritated me, I always thought it was a better engine productivity wise than a 3.9T. They are light enough that they can be moved in tandem with other machines or a lighter pickup and trailer. If you need more loader than go 95XT/465. Like I said they are certainly capable and not expensive to keep moving.
We have a mixture at work. Older Case, older 785 New Holland, never 885 New Holland, a TL 150 and 250 Takeuchi. I also wrench on a fleet of Cat’s for a friend. A couple on tires and a couple on tracks. I gotta say I really like the tracked machines having run and worked on both. Budget wise you’ll be into the older New Holland’s and Case. I know zip about Bobcat. Getting one on tires that will lift what you want will be a little bit of a challenge but there are some Cat’s and Bobcats that have the longer wheelbase that will help.
Your description is just screaming for a new holland superboom like an 885 with rear weights simple machines that won't even notice the weight With direct mechanical controls good feel and precision
I'm a diehard Case fanboy but for your application I would learn towards an older, larger New Holland. They tend to not be as powerful but you don't need as much power just to pick and carry. And the vertical lift and longer wheelbase make for a better forklift. Also I'm pretty sure pilot controls were an option on some models. I know I saw one at an auction that was 2000ish vintage with all hand pilot controls but I can't remember for the life of me what model it was. LS180 or 185?
A Gehl 7600/7800 is about as close to an offroad forklift as you can get in a skid steer. Plenty of power and capacity.
Acknowledging that you want tires not tracks the RC series 85 or 100 Positracks will bolt in lifting those weights and old school into the bargain.
Thanks for the advice so far guys. The skid steer primary use is to set 4'x8' steel and wood outrigger support mats for a 100 ton crane. Most guys set their mats with the crane on 1/2 outriggers, but I go a lot of places that I can't get level enough to use the crane until I'm up on mats. Hence the skid loader to set mats with. I will be hauling it on the same semi truck and trailer that I haul the counterweights and mats on. I should be able to have up to a 10,000lb machine or so and be under gross 80,000 lbs with all the other stuff on the trailer. It will never be terrible muddy, if its too muddy, I won't be able to get a 100,000lbs machine (the crane) in there anyways. Sometimes I'm out in the dirt/ rock, other times its in a shopping mall parking lot. My experience with tracks is that on pavement its a rough ride. And I really don't need the extra undercarriage wear issues, when I don't need the advantages that tracks have in poor ground conditions. I've run a tak and bobcat track machines, and yes they tend to be more stable. I was more impressed with the tak than the bobcat. I'm not totally opposed to the idea of a track machine, I just think that with what I want to spend and how I will use it, a track machine will be too expensive, both in upkeep and intial purchase price. For a more capable machine, but probably a capability I don't need. The only posi trak that I've run was a rc 30 or so, a real small one. Weight seemed real well distributed. Looks like the gehl 7800 is the same thing as a mustang 2109? This one isn't that far away from me: Mustang 2109 for $18,900 https://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvd/d/wentzville-mustang-hp-cab-joysticks/6837489693.html Looks like they weigh just over 10,000, and over 100 hp. Probably more than I need. and going to take up a lot of real estate on the trailer. This one is a lot closer to me, a lx 885, and $11,500: https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/new-holland-lx885-turbo/6837631517.html So it will probably live most of its life with forks on it, will probably take the bucket with us on the trailer in case we have to level out some rock. Anyone have a set of pallet forks with the tooth positioner cylinders that run off the aux. ? If I'm buying a fork carriage, I think that's the route I'm going. I hate climbing in and out of a skid to move forklift teeth. Something like these:
One thing is for sure, what ever you do get I'm guessing your going to wonder how in the world you ever got along without one. Its probably all the uses that your not even planning on using it for that you will appreciate having it for. I had a landscape business and owned dozens of machines with a total of 6 skids at one time, a mix of Bobcats, Cats and one Takeuchi. Bobcats were all very dependable and simple for the new guys to start with, Cats were all MTL's for the low ground pressure in yards but expensive, both to buy and maintain. Although the dealer was great with everything. The Tak was literally used as a dozer and built like a tank, just a rough ride, best grading and lifting machine I ever ran. Now that I'm out of the business I kept a S185 and use it for everything, can't imagine ever not having a skid. Maybe give a S250 or S300 a look, I bet you could find one reasonable with moderate hours that would do the job. Good luck!
I am sure the sliding forks option will be useful. We just purchased a side tilting set of forks for ours, but I have no picture of that. When you pick up a scrap bin sideways (we added some lifting tubes under it) so we can dump it sideways, right out the sloped part. The tilter goes up to 108 deg, but for emptying a bin like the one shown, you don't need to go nearly that far......maybe 120 deg I am thinking. See the other handy attachments we made for our skid steers………...
I bought this one at RB auction. It is handy to have the hydraulic adjustment. I have not strength tested it yet. Most things I have picked up with it have not been very heavy. I use it on a CAT287. https://www.rbauction.com/MID-STATE?invId=10464075&id=ar&auction=ORLANDO-FL-2018101
The New Holland machines have always impressed me, even though they used hand foot controls forever. They never made any major design changes, and the big farms around here run them around the clock and don't seem to have many issues with them, seems like they run them up over 3000 hours, change the tires and fluids when required, and then spray them off, send them to auction and go buy a new one.
I think you would get along fine with the New Holland LX885 . We have the John Deere version of it (8875) . That was back when Deere was buying them from NH . Lift capacity 2,250 # Like mentioned up thread you can always add the rear weight kit for better stability . Talking about outrigger pads I thought this one was an interesting design mixing steel & wood .
Forks sure are a pain to slide in and out. However if you have hydraulic adjustable forks you do have lines to hook and unhook every time you change attachments. All depends on how often you change. My forks never seemed to stay in the hold groves. I welded a chain hook on each side of my fork carriage and welded a 6" or so long chain to the top of each fork above the slide tube. I drop them on the hooks with the forks spread to maximum and no more sliding around. The hooks have come in handy many times for other uses. I have a 665 New Holland that is 15 years old that has been a great machine. Lift capacity is 1850 and it does lift that easily. One like that may be a little light for you.
That's a awful heavy piece of plate on the top. I think I'm going to build some steel ones with wood "deck". I don't like steel to steel if I'm on any kind of a slope, they will slide if they get 1/2 a chance. The all wood ones just don't last over time. Steel is kind of expensive, but build it once and then done. I'm going to build them with both lift rings and forklift pockets. I've even got a mad scientist idea for one that can be angled up for on a slope, I need to build the prototype of that one yet. It will probably have forks on it 90% of the time.
Those were outrigger pads for a 5240 Grove . I was thinking about a scaled back version for a 100 ton unit . Totally agree with steel on steel on a slope . I don't care for that either . Not uncommon for us to send a skid loader & attachments ahead on a sketchy site to prep for crane work . Bucket, forks , backhoe & cribbing . Little guy makes it all happen Dig it out & set the pad level to start with .
Some skid steers like the older New Hollands and JD's you sit down too low in them. If you have a bucket on you can't see the cutting edge. Once you have a skid steer and realize all the things you can do with it you'll spend a lot of time in it. If want something real badass look for something like this. 3700lb. rated capacity but would probably lift 5000lb's. without even trying. Common machines for tree spades and built heavy duty. If you ever had to dig out the side of a hill for a crane or level an area it would make short work of it. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...ment/auction-results/28677591/1987-bobcat-975
To each their own, but I would not get something like Dave is suggesting. They did not sell many of those, parts are like unicorns and just as expensive. A 95XT can lift just as much (actually more with counterweight kit), more comfortable, parts are easy and you don't have to sneak into the Smithsonian to find them.
A 975 is over 3000lbs. heavier than a 95XT and have a 3700lb. rated load compared to 3150lbs. for 95XT. They did sell quite a few of them. It would be good to look into parts availability but a lot of people that bought them have kept them because they are tough reliable machines with no electronics. Just saying if you could find a good used one is certainly an option.
The counterweight which goes under the machine weighs 1000 pounds.
Our JD 8875 prepping for a 5240 Grove . Roll out cloth in the front lawn & bring on the stone . Then when the lift is done pick it all up & spread around the communications building foundation . Skid loader loves this work .
Prepping a pond dam for a K-12 Insley . Skid loader move in first and takes out small trees , old steel fence posts & levels out a causeway for the dragline . Those two make a pretty good team but don't tell them I said that . LOL !
I bought a set of hydraulic adjustable forks last year. They are my new favorite attachment. They really shine picking up stuff that isn't on a pallet. I was going to suggest Deere 200 series for cheap lifting power, but looking around they've somehow held their value. I guess I need to go to the gym more often.
Whatever brand you decide on make sure there is a good dealer. I had a good dealer that went totally to **** with an incompetent "mechanic" nearly destroying my track loader taking no responsibility for their poor management. Now I drive 90 miles for parts.
Are you sure a compact wheel loader is not a better option? We used ctl and ss for everything till about 4 years ago...we still use ctl when tight or final grade....but use the loader everywhere else...they are FAR superior on pallet forks for reach and visibility. And they really move.
Something like a Deere 204/304, or Cat 904. Very handy, versatile, excellent lift and reach capacity coupled with short turn radius and great visibility. We've run several at the farm for feeding, with and without cabs. All of ours had 3rd function hydraulics so you could run a grapple, side shift forks, or at the farm, a silage defacer. I really enjoyed the ease of getting into them along with the better visibility.
Oh and the most important bonus of all....you can get out of cab with load half way up....skid steer you are stuck in there
I think the problem with a wheel loader will be having enough space to load it on his trailer and I don't think he'll find one that hasn't had the tar beaten out of it in his price range.
Tags has the answer here. I'm all for a wheel loader for skid loader duty, but I'm thinking as small as possible (with acceptable lift capacity) to get on the trailer with the weights. Compact and skinny enough to drive down between the crane and a wall or bank fall off and carry the mats in there. Loader would be too big.
Maybe ...but my big skidsteer is bigger than my dad's volvo l20b by quite a bit. And it lifts way more...only difference is in length. The loader is longer and heavier
I like baby wheel loaders more than most, but L20B is going to take up 6' more deck space and weigh 1500-1800 pounds more. Width is about the same as most mid-frame SSLs.
You bet...they are longer...and heavier..too bad though...they can sure lift. But 17 feet is long
Still kicking around a skid loader. Haven't bought anything because I don't like spending $ and I've been busy. This showed up on my local craigslist. Case 450CT. I know I said I wanted wheels, but in a crooked/ muddy spot, the tracks would be nice. Plus its a 10,000lbs machine with a 3857 lifting capacity at 50%. $23,000 with 3600hrs on it. A little more than I wanted to spend, but that lift capacity would be nice. https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/clever-2008-case-450ct-cab-track-skid/6992264959.html In a 2008, what emissions equipment would be on this machine? Are these electric over hydraulic, or pilot hydraulic? I've got my steel mats and plates built, I think the whole stack (4-4'x6'x 7" tall mats- plus 2-4'x6' 1" plates) is around 5,000lbs, but I can pick them one at a time. Its already got a factory crane lifting point on the cab too. It must have another one on the rear, that can't be center of gravity of the machine, or is it for just lifting the cab for service?
Those are a nice machine. I've been looking for a 430/440/450 series 3 on wheels for quite a while. I just can't seem to find one in my budget either . Member @KSSS has some great info on this series of machines, I'm sure he'll be along shortly.
I hate being soo predictable. The series 3 machines are pilot controlled. They will have either ISO or H pattern, and of course there is no pattern changer. They used to sell a pattern change kit, don't know if those are still around or not. The 450 has a big motor 4.5 Iveco. Big power, I thought they recovered faster than the 3.9T in the XT series, and I preferred running the Iveco over the Cummins. The 450T is a horse and half moving material. The cab was much improved over the original 400 series. The 450 has exceptionally fast bucket cycle times. I loved them for that. The only down side to the backhoe style bucket linkage I found was they didn't have a lot of force pulling back from a pile. The bucket breakout force was really good, but for whatever reason not so much going the other way. The pilots were well done I thought in those machines, good feel, responsive and smooth. Like all track machines you have to take a look at the drive motors. Make sure there isn't a lot glitter in the drive oil, especially at those hours. CASE has an update on these that increased the oil capacity if I remember correctly. I cant remember the specifics on that, maybe one of the CASE mechanics on here could confirm that. The biggest complaint that I heard was the width of the machine, which was great for stability. However they had to moved on a deck over trailer if that is an issue for you. Your machine looks to be in really good shape,has a hyd coupler, doesn't look to have high flow hydraulics but it has ride control. It will be a Tier 3 machine, so no added on emission equipment. As I recall, there are holes in the back of the uprights to hook on to along with the grab eyes you see on the cab.
The hauling won't be a problem, we're all deck over trailers. Don't need high flow. Primary use again is not dirt moving, it will be rough terrain forklift use. How many aux hookups are there on this machine? It looks like 2, so to speak I could flow each direction on two different cylinders? and a wiring connection? Or are the hook ups just one way flow and return, and you have to use the wiring and elec. switches and elec over hydraulic valves on the aux. cylinders to control flow/ cylinder direction? Also do these have adjustable response to the controls? I doubt it if its pilot, usually thats a elec. over hydraulic controls thing. Are they easy to feather? We are wanting to set the crane mats with them, and then restack mats on each other and to the trailer. Slow and easy and setting things just in the right place, because lots of guys fingers and expensive equipment around.
I was incorrect. I couldn't see the other hyd. connection from the first pictures this machine does have high flow as well as a case drain line. You cant alter the machines speed or reaction like you can on EH machines. I think you will find the feathering ability is excellent on these pilot machines, easy to get on to if you haven't run pilot controls. The electric connection is 14 pin. The machine should have the high end handles considering how it is loaded. You should have a proportional control for aux. on the right joy stick. If you could get pic of the handles, I could be more help. As for the hydraulic connections it is low flow (about 23 gpm or high flow 40 gpm) one in and one out. The electric/hyd switches that should be on the handles control other hyd cylinders. Get a pic of the handles and I can explain how the switches work.
I'd guess the hook is just for the cab. That has to be a pretty heavy machine. I don't remember what model it was but the guy I bought tires from had a Case CTL and had problems with drive motors and they were expensive. He found a less expensive supplier in the US somewhere but I think he changed motors a couple times. If you want a bigger machine mostly for moving mats and don't want to spend a lot, look for one of the larger Thomas machines like a T233HD (not older T233Plus), or newer T243, T245, T255 . Good engines, good components, very well built but not very popular in the US. Very good control in close quarters. Could probably pick one up for less than half the price of a comparable size Bobcat or other more common machine. No frills and not a lot of electronic crap to screw up. A lot of people knock them because they aren't as common or they claim parts are hard to get. The major components are name brand so may just require some deciphering to get. I have a smaller Thomas but I'd put it up against any other machine in the same capacity. I could pick up eggs at full throttle. In comparison, I tried an early Cat skid steer with the joystick control and it had terrible control for finesse work. There was a reason it had a throttle pedal. If you had to be real careful not to damage something you might as well leave it at idle or get out a hand shovel. I prefer 2 steering levers to a single joystick so I can have total control of each side but that's what I'm used to. I think some joysticks are better than others.
Thanks for the heads up on the track motors dave. I really like the idea of a heavier more stable machine, this track loader would be up there in capacity, compared to most tire machines. I'm concerned about high repair costs too, but I'm not going to be using it everyday either. Shouldn't get a lot of hours. Handle/ Joystick pictures. Don't know if that helps. Thanks for the advice. I like the capabilities of a 10,000lbs machine, and the stableness of the tracks, but the reality is I can buy a 95xt for 8-10,000 less money up front, and it would probably have less repair expenses. But a track wouldn't tear up someones lawn, if I used it to carry in a hot tub like a tire machine. I know if I had it, I would find ways to use it.
Once you have a skid steer or CTL you'd use it for everything. Tires are pretty much no maintenance other than checking pressure. I've seen tire machines with extra counterweight stuck on the sides. I'm not good with electrical/electronic issues so like having as simple of machine as possible. If needing to drive on a lawn some sheets of plywood could be used. Can buy a lot of plywood for $8000. Rubber over tire tracks are also available. I'd have to drive some different machines to see how the joysticks work. Might be a good idea to price drive motors and tracks just so you know replacement costs.
Unless you're mostly on pavement, a track machine will be way more productive.
And way more money and way more maintenance. With forks I don't know how much more productive a CTL would be. On the way to my land saw a neat little York forklift for sale that was about the same size as a skid steer. Something like that might be an option.
It doesn't have the handles that I thought it would have given how loaded it is. There should a ride control button on the side of one of the handles, that I cant see. You do have the proportional aux control and two additional attachment function switches. Doesn't sound like any of that would matter to you. I would ask to spend an hour or so on it working it a bit hard, run down the road, make sure the two speed works, then feel the drives and see how hot they get and like I said, crack the oil on the drives and see what it looks like. Spend enough time in it for you to adapt to the pilots, they all have their own feel. It might take a little time to get used to if your not familiar with them. As to what is best, a SSL is less costly to run. This machine is like a D3, whether you need that I guess is for you to decide. The drives on this machine are Rexroth a common drive for that era of machine, but they are expensive as they all are. The upside is, that machine has value, it is pretty desirable. You could get the PIN off the machine and contact your local CASE dealer and they can tell you what was done through a CASE dealer to the machine.
I - being the tightwad and procrastinator that I am, haven't bought anything yet. I was actually at the rental store the other day, and they told me I could get a track kubota about whenever I want it for $250 a 1/2 day. I can do my own hauling of it. That makes it kind of hard to want to spend 20-25,000 on something I would need once a month. But, this showed up for sale, $12,500, a Gehl CTL 60, which I think is a tak under different colors, I figured someone on here would know. Ad says only 1,500 hrs, looks like more. The 12,500 is a little more livable, considering my usage projections. Comes with bucket and forks, no other attachments. Everyone I know with a tak says they are bulletproof. That said, this isn't a very big one. https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/summersville-gehl-ctl-60/7024747947.html
Just another question for the collective, I bid on a cat 289 (with the newer suspension, not the older asv style) the other day, which I was not willing to give enough money for. I was reading about them and how the track system is set up. What I was reading said they pivot on a center frame kind of like a dozer, so they don't work as well for forklift duty, because they don't have the fixed front idler. But they do better holding grade. Any truth to this? because I would be 1/2 forklift and 1/2 spreading gravel duties.
After having a skid steer for 40 years, from one with foot pedals to raise and tilt the bucket to one with pilot controls. It might take you an hour or more to get used to the pilot controls, but once you do you won't go back. My first one with pilot controls I had to back onto my gooseneck trailer to haul it. I finally had to sit on my one hand so the bucket wasn't going up while backing onto the trailer. I used it a little while tearing out and moving asphalt, lots of room for mistakes and in no time knew that I would never go back. With a two stick if you get a phone call, you about have to stop and talk. I plowed snow for years and it was nice to be able to have a free hand. I have had 4-5 Case all tires, then went to a Kubota 95 on tracks. While not as fast traveling as a tired machine they are a small dozer when moving dirt or rock. The feature I like most on the Kubota is the door, it stores over head. I set trusses and use the forks a lot. A skid steer with a door means you are staying inside if you lift the boom over a couple inches. I had to remove the door all the time when setting trusses. If you pick up something and want to put a couple 2X4 under so that you can get the forks out and back under you can step out over the load and place them. With a swing out door, you can't do this unless all the way down. For what I do I will never have a door that swings again on my skid steer.
I have a 1995 1845C since 2001 purchased as a repossession when building my shop. It is slow, loud, underpowered, and doesn't lift near as much as I'd like but I wouldn't be without it. I have fluid in the tires, counterweights on back, and those help a bunch with both lifting, and pushing. I, being the only operator don't push the machine hard and it's as dependable as the rocks in the driveway. Only problems I've ever had with it in about 1200 hours are two hydraulic hoses and a starting battery. I did replace the ignition switch too as it was getting intermittent but that problem was corroded wires. It is getting loose due to age and use, (about 2700 hours) but I'm set up to line bore and tighten it back up with new pins, etc. Just haven't got around to it yet. I borrowed a 95XT from the Case dealer to demo out and for the way I run a machine was not able to move any more material, (dirt, sand, rock) in an hour with it than I could with my 1845C so did not make the purchase. Comfort level with the machine was a player for sure. I was wanting a different machine for the cab, air conditioning, capacity, and quiet. I could have had that machine with 1700 hours for $8500.00 and my machine but there just wasn't enough benefit to it to change for me.
I too like the old 1845C's believe the one at the quarry was/is a 1989 that was bought new. It has had some problems over the years but 99% of those were cause by abuse from operators or lack of maintenance buy the same people. In 2002 the company bought a JCB 185 with 240 hours on it to "replace" the 1845C. Well last time I was at the shop the JCB was sitting up on blocks waiting for a pump or drive motor and the 1845C was still at work!
I can remove and install the door on my 287b in 15 seconds... It just sits on hinge pins and has no electrical or mechanical connections.
Many more experienced than me on here but having looked for that very series, I'm nearly certain that vintage Gehl is the Tak TL130 with some small differences. It (the Tak) was the machine I was looking for but they are scarce and when a good one comes up its either pricey or sold. I like the Tak better because it has the overhead door where the Gehl uses the swing door (when the cab is enclosed). The weight is around 7500 so it's more towable than the larger TL140 which can top 10k. You can usually find the 140 for less than the 130 here...I think because of the weight and scarcity. They are pretty well respected and have few problems but there are some I found in my reading including a relay that can act up causing problems and I've read the Valve bodies tend to need rebuilding at around 2500 hours (or after a certain age?). Still- one of the most bullet proof machine in my reading. Spartan- but simple and rugged. If that were an enclosed cab unit Tak, that price would be awesome for my area and it would have sold already. If those hours are real and the tracks and undercarriage are good, that's sill a good price if the machine needs nothing IMHO.
must have been a good price, because it was gone before I even called, listed 6 hours before.
If you couldn't move more material with a 95XT than an 1845C we need to get you to skid steer operator school. Those machines were amazing and I think while not as comfortable to run as a newer 3K ROC machine, I don't know that a newer model could move more. Weighing in at around 10K and with those wide tires, they were very productive especially with the 84" bucket with backsplash, you could move over .75 of a yard heaped. You cant touch that ability with an 1845C. I had two 95XTs and a 465 (pretty much the same thing). Loved those machines. I will tell a quick story. Years ago they had built a Walmart and had stockpiled the topsoil. The Topsoil was free if you hauled it. I brought my side dump down with about 23 cy capacity down but didn't have anything else available to load it with other than my, at the time nearly new 95XT. I got there about the same time as another contractor with a dump truck. He had a 420 backhoe. Being a smart ass he asked if I needed a shovel. I loaded my side dump faster than the was able to load his dump truck with his 420. I did it all day long. He never said another word.
In that particular instance it was true. I had a lot of tread on my tires with the fluid and extra weight along with a new cutting edge and the 95XT was sitting on bald skins, and rounded cutting edge. It was dropped off when I was at work with a note to "have fun". I agree it was a much nicer machine but had almost as much mud packed into it as would fit in the bucket. After about an hour it started overheating a bit while I was breaking open a pile which had been setting about four years from a basement dig and was solid. Wasn't going to punish the machine and I'm certainly no skilled operator, but I didn't see it as worth the extra $$$. That is however based on the use I would give it. I know you're right about the productivity being better as I've seen them on jobsites perform very well.
Any of those older Gehl CTL (60/65/70/75/80/85), Mustang MTL (16/316/20/320/25/325), or Tak TL (130/230/140/240/150/250) machines will be about the toughest thing you can find when looking for tracks. I have a TL230 which would be the 2nd generation of the TL130 and the equivalent to a Gehl CTL65. The Tak's have a different cab with the roll up door vs the Gehl and Mustang machines with the shorter height cab and a swing out door. For being a little machine, the 130/230 size machines will do a ton of work. It's not uncommon for mine to be moving 3500-4k lb loads. It'll lift 52-5500lbs about a foot off the ground but it'll tip any higher then that.