Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Was I mad doing this?

Digger Dan ยท 2009-09-03 21:55

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-Caterpillar-...805&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_23501wt_951 Just won this a few minutes ago, I think I got a god deal Did I:beatsme

Replies25
  1. #1Yukon Digger2009-09-03 22:44

    I think you did good.

  2. #2stock2009-09-04 17:37

    Is it a genuine machine? with all the scams these days I would look before I PAY....

  3. #3Digger Dan2009-09-05 01:34

    Fairly confident its genuine, a buddy of mine does 3 plus transactions with this company a month and has very good things to say about them.... They got me a couple of shipping quotes from southern Cali to BC today but said to wait till next week as they will likely better the quote next week... Will keep you up to date with the transaction though, committed at this point though

  4. #4Errol2009-09-06 11:10

    Ya, you did good. I bought an 6.5T excavator from these guys a couple of months ago and not to worry, they are good to deal with. Also to make you feel better, a friend of mine bought a bobcat from them as well as a 7.5 T excavator. They even arranged for shipping to my doorstep and customs for just over$1200.00

  5. #5special tool2009-09-06 17:20

    A 700 hour 2006 Cat for $15,200? Looks good to me. Let's let everyone know how much that thing was NEW - and under 700 hours Cat or Komatsu, is still pretty new...

  6. #6bigbob2009-09-06 21:22

    Looks like it came out of a Cat dealers rental fleet.

  7. #7Digger Dan2009-09-28 23:19

    It finally showed up here in Vancouver today, and its exactly as described, maybe better... Really really tight on all the pins and bushings, a bit bigger than I thought, super clean new looking engine and pumps engine bay and radiators but not power-washed. tracks are in great shape, it tracks fast for a mini. The bucket is slightly loose on the quick hitch but I suspect that this is part of the hitch type... I only ran it for 5 mins or so at the off loading yard and then I had to go back to work but I go get it tomorrow and will take some pics.

  8. #8stock2009-09-28 23:25

    Delighted that its gone well for you,well wear.

  9. #9The Baron2009-09-29 07:30

    I think you did well. I have looked at equipment on e-bay but been hesitant because I wasn't sure about getting equipment from the U.S. into Canada. If you don't mind me asking, how much paperwork is involved? Do you have to pay duty/taxes? I'm very close to NY state and wondered about buying skid-steers/mini-excavbators at auction on the U.S. side and trailering across into Canada.

  10. #10Digger Dan2009-09-29 20:34

    Very little paper work for me, I hired a broker, cost $300 to deal with all the paper and import stuff, believe me there is allot and its not worth doing it yourself unless you research it and know the ins and outs of the process. The taxes here in BC are 12% gst and pst and it the item is manufactured in North America there is no duty to pay, not sure what the duty rate is...

  11. #11stormdodger2009-10-01 17:47

    So what was the grand total? nice little excavator:drinkup

  12. #12Digger Dan2009-10-01 21:50

    Thanks, $15,200 purchase $50 auction fee $200 broker fee $1570 shipping from southern california to Vancouver BC $17,020 US dollars landed Not too bad in my books when you see how clean it is but wait there's more... Avenue Equipment picked it up from the delivery yard to have their mechanics check it out for a trade against a new Kubota kx091 with a cab and Thumb and three buckets, I told him not to bother if I would have to pay more than $20,000 CDN difference for the new one. He gets back to me tomorrow with his answer. And theres 4 years interest free payments on the balance. List on the Kubota apparently is almost $52,000 cdn Maybe this is where I am mad in trading a perfectly good machine for a shiny new one with two years warranty... Thoughts??? Weather up here lends itself to a cab over a canopy though...

  13. #13stormdodger2009-10-03 22:18

    yes a cab is a must but for an extra 20 to 30 grand? you could get a bobcat to go with your your new aquistion. you should have no problems for a while with the Cat. But if you got the work .....:beatsme:Banghead you're mad:lmao

  14. #14Digger Dan2009-10-04 14:11

    I kept the cat, dealer dropped it off to a work site on Saturday and it made it;s first $400 for a couple hours work, started thinking you sure can buy a very nice overcoat for $20,000 Machine is paid for and will still be worth what I paid for it three years from now with 2000 more hours on it:drinkup Now to get a thumb and bucket package for it

  15. #15stumpjumper832009-11-02 17:24

    glad to hear you kept the cat, I'm looking a either a 302.5 or a 303 this spring.

  16. #16mxridernrth2009-11-03 14:10

    Great buy indeed. Makes me chuckle because I'm a bit more crazy than you. I needed everything: a truck, trailer, and mini exr. So I found one, not on ebay mind you, but on craigslist. I then found a truck, again on craigslist, that was in Portland. So I flew to Portland, picked up the truck (it was used), drove to Fallbrook, Ca. and picked up the excavator and trailer, and drove back to Canada. All in 3 days!! Now who's crazy? Here's the machine in action (well actually it's just sitting there) Oh yeah...I'm flying down to Redding, Ca next week and picking up this single axle that I found on Craigslist.

  17. #17upnover2009-11-04 23:53

    Just wondering mxridernrth , did you have anything inspected before buying in the US or do you fly down in hopes that it meets your look over when you get there. I have been eyeing all the used Kubota tractors on Iron Planet lately but when I called IP to find out why they were "not available for export" I was told that Kubota USA would not issue a certificate of origin as these machine were repos. Yet I see you got a Hitachi, Did you get a certificate of origin with it? Just curious

  18. #18mxridernrth2009-11-05 01:18

    Hi upnover. I didn't get it inspected. Should I have? Probably, but I spoke to the original owner quite a bit about it before I made the leap of faith. I've been eying up the Kubotas on IP as well and am constantly perplexed at their claim as not for export. If you look at all the Kubotas, tractor, excavator, or otherwise, you'll notice that they same the same thing. I didn't have a certificate of origin and I was never asked for one. I never had anything stamped at the US border office mind you, and I'm not sure if I was supposed to. I can tell you that on the Canadian side, it didn't make a difference. I had my bill of sale and accompanying correspondence should they question my price, and that was it. Super easy. Personally, I think that Kubota wants to prevent any gray market machines coming to Canada and flooding the market.

  19. #19mxridernrth2009-11-05 01:31

    One more thing upnover, the hitachi 27U is exactly the same machine as the Deere 27C. It doesn't have any markings that say it was made in the USA or that its country of origin was the US.

  20. #20upnover2009-11-05 20:49

    Interesting, I stopped at US Customs this past October and asked them about exporting. They didnt care about brand or whatever, they did want the certificate of origin and the title. Technically you should have stopped on the US side first then to the Canadian side. The only reason is that (in the case of a motor vehicle) you dont want to ever take it back across the border if you havent got the paper work. They can make it nasty for you. I know because I imported a new 07 Chev and did get the US paperwork done. I'm surprised the Canadian dudes didnt send you back. Oh well....you got your toys home and thats what counts! Enjoy the digging and the dump truck

  21. #21mxridernrth2009-11-06 12:36

    That is interesting. I am aware that you need to have a vehicle title stamped by US Customs prior to exporting, but the thought never crossed my mind for equipment. My rationale was that what is the difference between a piece of equipment and a TV? I actually bought a Bobcat from Washington state a few years back as well and never had anything stamped either. Our customs officials didn't care one bit that time either. All I can say now is "OOPS". :beatsme Thanks. Hopefully the truck serves me well.

  22. #22leveller2009-11-09 20:13

    I just bought a mini x in the US. and went to pick it up myself. If you are importing it for yourself, you can do all the paperwork at the border, only took a few minutes. All you pay is GST if it is for business use, PST only if machine is for private use. Make sure you get your importer number before you go, it is free and can be done by phone. Call Can. Customs for importer number info

  23. #23mxridernrth2009-11-16 02:57

    Okay, so I'm back from picking up the dump truck. At the border I asked what if the there was no certificate of origin with a piece of equipment? Well apparently the only ramification is that there is an extra duty of approximately 6% applied to the purchase price. So factor the duty into the purchase price to determine the economic viability of the purchase.

  24. #24upnover2009-11-16 21:21

    Just curious did you stop at the US side this time? What did they have to say?

  25. #25mxridernrth2009-11-18 00:31

    I did but only to get the truck license stamped. There was no time for any extraneous questions because the ferry was boarding immediately and everyone was waiting for myself, and one other person who was also bringing a vehicle back.