Did i overload my 2016 F250 XLT 4X4 crew cab longbed 6.2L gas 6 speed 3.76 ratio truck. I have a bumper pull dump trailer gvwr 14,000 lbs payload of 10,080 lbs. Yesterday i pulled two loads of sand my first load had a gross of 23,840 lbs on pull out with a Tare wieght of 12,080 lbs my net wieght 11,760 lbs (5.88tons) loaded on trailer. My second load was 3.98 tons. My truck struggled with both loads when starting from stop up a hill, but the first load was the worst. Was this to much load, the guy in the loader seemed hesitant on the first load and had him load less the second time. How much can I haul safely and without blowing up my truck. BTW I did use the tow/haul option. Thank you and please move if in the wrong forum.
Overloaded pickups struggle with heat and stopping, being a gas you don't get the factory turbine brake that the diesels had since 2003. Ford gauges also lie to you as they wait till your pretty much hot to tell you, if your engine and trans gauge wasn't moving around then you were fine. Going slower will cause less of these problems. You can check your owners manual if you were really overloaded according to Ford, but I'd say you were really pushing the limits I only like to go up to around 16-18k total on a gasser and definitely limit speed. The highest I've gone in a diesel pickup is 30k total.
Thank you The towing capacity on my f250 is 12,200lbs minus the 4,000 wieght of the trailer leaves me 8200lbs. Would it be safe to say although the numbers say I can pull 4 tons, 2tons or lower would be the safer bet? Thanks
Your trucks max tow rate is 12500 pounds. So the most you should be loading is 8580 pounds now if you are towing a trailer over 10000 pounds the truck needs to be licensed higher then just as a pick up. And if the good old dot is like ours here the manufacturer sticker on the the trailer must not list a higher trailer weight then the tow rating of your truck. This is assuming your using a bumper pull trailer. I can't seem to find it bit if I remember right the max combination weight on these was 21500. With that said just hual 4 ton you should be ok.
I was typing my reply when you posted. I guess wrong on your truck options to get the tow rating
The truck tag only needs to be tagged for the weight of the truck, ie truck plus payload in the truck plus tongue weight. The tag on the trailer is for the weight on the trailer axles. You can run into dot problems when your too heavy with both, but that should not happen with a gasser, you would be so overloaded.
Thank you all. I was worried about dot when I purchased the trailer and the dealership said I was under the limit. I am going to keep to 2tons or less. The quarry is only 6 miles away better to make more trips then have an accident or blow my truck. Thanks again!
My "'old" F350 carries 10k lbs without fuss. I'd be quite upset if a new truck can't even haul around that without fighting. Shoot, I've had 10k in the bed and ~14k of trailer on a 160hp C30 I had. Now that was pretty slow!