Years ago when i worked for a equipment dealer i came back from lunch and there was a cabover truck parked on the road by the place. It had a bed like a lowboy were the top of the frame rails were even with the floor and the drive tires stuck up throw the floor. The crossmembers were bolted throw the frame rails so the out side ones were bolted throw the frame to the center ones. It was made very good not cobaled together. I drove around the lot and went to the office looking for the driver and also watched for him to return to the truck but i missed him. I wonder if it worked very good or would be a good way to build a trailer from a truck frame?
Don't know? I've never seen one. It makes me wonder if maybe it was a former beverage truck or something like that, diary, bread, whatever, where they had a good reason to get the bodies made especially low, and then the box was chopped off and it was rebuilt as a flatbed. About what age do you think the truck was from?
The truck was late 80s i saw it in the early 90s. It on a twinscrew truck and it was built heavy enuff to haul a dozer on. The truck had short tires to make it even lower. It was painted up and looked good. I cant remember what i ate yesterday but i can remember a truck from years ago.
Might also have been a combine hauler, like the ag dealers had, for delivering and servicing combines...
Yair . . . A bit like this Old Doug ? I can't figure how they drive that thing . . . maybe a 4x4 transfer driving the front wheels? Cheers.
More than likely an Oldsmobile Toronado or Cadillac Eldorado front wheel drive transaxle under that "truck". Same drive system GMC used in their big mid 70's motorhomes with 16" dually wheels,
Yair . . . Gotcha RZucker. I had clean forgot you folks had big front wheel drives, we seldom saw them down here. Cheers.